House Price Crash Forum

All Over For Hmv?

HOLA441

When will the penny drop that high street rents and rates need to drop? So many empty premises around on the high streets, and those that are filled are often charity shops, of the rest, the vast majority are the big homogeneous chains. Despite the current wows of the retailers, and the obvious pain the landlords will be feeling, I fear it will be some time before they realise the model is outdated. As for the local authorities and the parking and rates charges, I don't think they will ever learn.

Yep.

A lot more shops are going to leave the town centre before they "get it".

tim

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yep.

A lot more shops are going to leave the town centre before they "get it".

tim

How about having more permanent indoor markets that sell locally produced fruit and veg, meat and fish like they have in France and Spain....I would most definitely shop there...fresh quality in season produce that is competitively priced.....the other week I went to a local market and bought the best bit of vintage cheddar cheese you have ever tasted the real mccoy made not far away...£5 per KG not a patch on any of the plastic wrapped stuff you find at the supermarket....and none of the apples had stickers on. ;)

HOLA443

How about having more permanent indoor markets that sell locally produced fruit and veg, meat and fish like they have in France and Spain....I would most definitely shop there...fresh quality in season produce that is competitively priced.....the other week I went to a local market and bought the best bit of vintage cheddar cheese you have ever tasted the real mccoy made not far away...£5 per KG not a patch on any of the plastic wrapped stuff you find at the supermarket....and none of the apples had stickers on. ;)

Buying local fresh produce is the way to go. Most supermarket food is pure junk as it needs to have a long shelf life.

Local food may look expensive but you pay for the quality. People are happy to pay extra for premium fuel for their cars but try to save money by eating cheap supermarket junk - false economy. You can replace a car but you can't replace your body - food is the last thing on which you should save money.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

lot of businesses that are on licence will get to jan and leave.

where are you harry,if you don't mind me asking?

Margate, which is admittedly just about the most run-down part of the South-east, probably going to move this year though if I haven't found work in a few months.

HOLA447

A huge reason why both the music industry and the film & TV industry are in decline is that they have been in complete denial about the Internet for over a decade now - and fighting rear-guard actions constantly.

I get the impression they hoped the Internet was a passing fad.

If anything, the coming years are going to kill off even more music and film production companies. Look at a company like MGM - it should have been creaming in squillions via the Net.

HOLA448

A huge reason why both the music industry and the film & TV industry are in decline is that they have been in complete denial about the Internet for over a decade now - and fighting rear-guard actions constantly.

I get the impression they hoped the Internet was a passing fad.

If anything, the coming years are going to kill off even more music and film production companies. Look at a company like MGM - it should have been creaming in squillions via the Net.

+1

They've been fighting rather than embracing technology. Illegal download sites still offer a far better selection of music than legal ones.

HOLA449

Buying local fresh produce is the way to go. Most supermarket food is pure junk as it needs to have a long shelf life.

Local food may look expensive but you pay for the quality. People are happy to pay extra for premium fuel for their cars but try to save money by eating cheap supermarket junk - false economy. You can replace a car but you can't replace your body - food is the last thing on which you should save money.

Our local food is not that expensive....25kg of quality maris piper pots £6.50 to £7 depending..potates keep very well in a cool dark place. doz eggs £1 and packet of butter 50p just before Christmas will check to see if any changes on market day.....the bread in the local bakers has no comparison to bulk produced bread. I buy it sometimes but prefer to make my own, there are some great rye and malted bread flours around that make the most fantastic breads....the local butcher sells whole belly of pork, delicious, the sausages are nothing like the fatty bready ones in the supermarkets....I am converted and you are right....you are what you eat and how much fresh air and exercise you can get.

Sorry to hear about HMV...end of an era....music will never be the same again....tomorrow it will be different. ;)

HOLA4410

Our local food is not that expensive....25kg of quality maris piper pots £6.50 to £7 depending..potates keep very well in a cool dark place. doz eggs £1 and packet of butter 50p just before Christmas will check to see if any changes on market day.....the bread in the local bakers has no comparison to bulk produced bread. I buy it sometimes but prefer to make my own, there are some great rye and malted bread flours around that make the most fantastic breads....the local butcher sells whole belly of pork, delicious, the sausages are nothing like the fatty bready ones in the supermarkets....I am converted and you are right....you are what you eat and how much fresh air and exercise you can get.

Sorry to hear about HMV...end of an era....music will never be the same again....tomorrow it will be different. ;)

Actually, M&S sausages are excellent. Over 80% meat abd gluten free meaning no bread/wheat. Co-Op has started the same now with some sausages.

A butcher in my part of the world, on the other hand, has gradually been reducing the meat content in his award-winning sausages and raising the bread level.

TMT in 'I read the labels' mode.

HOLA4411

Actually, M&S sausages are excellent. Over 80% meat abd gluten free meaning no bread/wheat. Co-Op has started the same now with some sausages.

A butcher in my part of the world, on the other hand, has gradually been reducing the meat content in his award-winning sausages and raising the bread level.

I always read the label if there is one. :P ...flavour speaks mountains, make a note of what seeps out of your sausages and bacon it speaks for itself....look at the size before and after cooking, make your own judgement from the evidence on your plate. ;)

HOLA4412

Are you generally better to buy meat from a butcher rather than a good supermarket such as M&S or Tesco Finest?

You don't get labels on sausages, chicken, pork etc from the butcher so hard to compare.

We have started buying from a butcher and it definetly tastes better, but is cheap to the extent that it concerns me....

HOLA4413

Are you generally better to buy meat from a butcher rather than a good supermarket such as M&S or Tesco Finest?

You don't get labels on sausages, chicken, pork etc from the butcher so hard to compare.

We have started buying from a butcher and it definetly tastes better, but is cheap to the extent that it concerns me....

I think it depends on the honesty of the butcher. A former gf of mine paid a small fortune for a free-range chicken and it was one of the 'fowlest' chickens we had ever eaten. You could taste the fish pellets that it had been fed on.

HOLA4414

I think it depends on the honesty of the butcher. A former gf of mine paid a small fortune for a free-range chicken and it was one of the 'fowlest' chickens we had ever eaten. You could taste the fish pellets that it had been fed on.

...don't shop there again then....or go back and ask for an explanation.

I eat less meat, but I now make sure if I do eat it it is of the highest quality I can find.....get to know your quality suppliers and stay loyal to them. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The butcher is being squeezed out. Help him, otherwise when he and other butchers go M&S will have more control, cut their meat content and charge more for them.

This is what your sausage money is paying for:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE61048W20100201

HOLA4419

The butcher is being squeezed out. Help him, otherwise when he and other butchers go M&S will have more control, cut their meat content and charge more for them.

This is what your sausage money is paying for:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE61048W20100201

+ lots....we must support our communities and small family business.....if we don't use them we will almost certainly lose them, then we will have to accept the quality and pay the price the few mufti-nationals that are left demand......or grow our own. ;)

HOLA4420

it's always been bland and sh1t in the charts

I don't agree with that.

On a long flight recently I was bored and found the complete collection of UK number ones on the entertainment system. It reminded me how much musical variety there used to be in the charts in the 70s, 80s and 90s. There's definitely been a change in the last decade although to be fair there have been some great pop records amongst the Simon Cowell protégés.

What does seem absent these days is any personality and fun. This is probably why Lady Gaga has been able to dominate the charts with fairly derivate stuff. She fills a gap in the market that no-one else is addressing.

HOLA4421

What does seem absent these days is any personality and fun.

Come on then , lets hear what tunes you listened to in the 70's 80's and 90's that had personality and fun?

Joe Dolce had loads of personality and fun , Joy Division had none. I'd suggest that the musical recordings of Ian Curtis are more listened to by todays youth than some bloke who had the audacity to release such drivel as shaddap your face.

HOLA4422

Big corporations are dehumanising our society.

In the past, shopping was not only about shopping. You would meet your local people there, chat to them, share a joke, hear their stories, etc. Believe it or not but little things like that can hugely increase our quality of life and overall mental well-being.

These days you can't even talk to a human being in a supermarket. Stop for a second and look at those self-checkouts. People no longer look like human beings while using them. They look like robots or sheep.

But that's because everyone's in a big hurry throughout the day, so that they can spend endless hours in front of the TV/internet at home.

I don't get the big hurry most people seem to be in. Is it cultural, have they thought about it.. or do they book their schedule that tightly? And if they are that busy how do they have time to watch so much tv?

I purposely make my shedule mainly empty so I have time to think and relax, and I don't even have a tv. I agree with you about meeting local people, in each shop. And chatting while you buy the things you need. Big corporations purposely stop that because it reduces the efficiency of each worker.

HOLA4423

Come on then , lets hear what tunes you listened to in the 70's 80's and 90's that had personality and fun?

Joe Dolce had loads of personality and fun , Joy Division had none. I'd suggest that the musical recordings of Ian Curtis are more listened to by todays youth than some bloke who had the audacity to release such drivel as shaddap your face.

From the number ones, try Blondie, Kate Bush, Culture Club, ABBA, Queen, David Bowie, Eurythmics, Elton John. When Sinéad O'Connor appeared on TV, people paid attention.

Pop music degenerated from the Blondie and the Bangles to Atomic Kitten... Need I say more?

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4424

..Pendragon..

HOLA4425