Social Housing Budget To Be Cut By More Than 50 Per Cent

HOLA441
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Not you

Still paying more in rent than you could be paying mortgage are we ?

so you have no basis.

nice of you to be clear about that - Mister. 'I can't add up or work out yields but it never bothered me (or do grammar for that matter)'

jeeez why are bulls so **dumb** !!!

Edited by Si1

HOLA443

Not sure what they mean, a few years ago I was informed by my council that rents were to go up by the maximum allowed to try and bring them into line with private rents.

But i was not to worry as 2/3 of tennants had their rent paid by benefits so they would not lose out.

So raising rents will cost more, not less, at least round here.

HOLA444

so you have no basis.

nice of you to be clear about that.

Basis for what taking the p-ss out of you ?

Only need to look around to see how rent's in both the public and private sector have gone up . Same thing as back in 1997 when you started paying all that money in rent when you could have bought for half the price .

I looked about at the rent's and the cost's of buying , saw the FTB's skipping over the flats and moving straight into 3 bed semis as the cost's to buy had got so cheap . So i bought you rented , did not need a chart to see that don't need one now to know that rent's have gone up in the last 30 years as social housing budget's have been cut.

Life can be painfull can it not lol.

HOLA445

so you have no basis.

nice of you to be clear about that - Mister. 'I can't add up or work out yields but it never bothered me (or do grammar for that matter)'

jeeez why are bulls so **dumb** !!!

Yes be the first to admit my spelling and grammer is not good , but numbers is my thing .

What has yields or spelling or grammer got to do with throwing away more money on rent than the cost of buying over the last 13 years , oh and what has it got to do with paying that rising rent for ever and a day or having an owned outright home?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Basis for what taking the p-ss out of you ?

Only need to look around to see how rent's in both the public and private sector have gone up . Same thing as back in 1997 when you started paying all that money in rent when you could have bought for half the price .

I looked about at the rent's and the cost's of buying , saw the FTB's skipping over the flats and moving straight into 3 bed semis as the cost's to buy had got so cheap . So i bought you rented ,

of course 1997 was a good year to buy you total sh*t for brains

I had student debts, essential car finance and no supportive family to help

d*ckhead

did not need a chart to see that don't need one now to know that rent's have gone up in the last 30 years as social housing budget's have been cut.

you are one seriously thick fool, inflation is just something you put in your loft I imagine

the overwhelming social support to rents has been unchecked housing benefits that have rocketed over the past decade.

Edited by Si1

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Not sure what they mean, a few years ago I was informed by my council that rents were to go up by the maximum allowed to try and bring them into line with private rents.

But i was not to worry as 2/3 of tennants had their rent paid by benefits so they would not lose out.

So raising rents will cost more, not less, at least round here.

Yes, that's how it's been under Nulab, most peoples rents have been paid for by full or partial HB so only those tenants who are not on benefits have suffered from these rent rises.

It looks like the Tories will replace HB (etc.) with Universal Credit ...looks like a new ball game.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

more realistically - they know that an awful lot of small flats have been built in towns and cities around the country that should provide ample immediate private sector rented accomodation, and that REIT property companies, once house prices fall to give a passable yield, should have the potential to provide long term residential lettings accomodation, if planning laws become more accomodative - h*ll I'd happily invest in them myself when the market is right.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4416

Absolutely inevitable. There is no money to provide subsidised housing anymore. And not likely to ever be so again. It wont be long before BTL is encouraged again and seen as a socially acceptable thing to do, to house the population.

I wish people would get itt hrough their heads that council housing IS NOT SUBSIDISED.

The Housing Revenue Account (HRA) is ring fenced by law, so council tax payers cannot subsidise council housing, neither can

council housing revenue subsidise the town.

The HRA rules are also incredibly complicated, the net effect being that councils cannot set their rents or retain their profits to

expand the housing stock. Unfortunately.

HOLA4417

jones87, on 18 October 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

My understanding at the moment is Housing Benefit is for life once it has been applied for?

For example, on the dole, H/B pays for your 2 bed flat with no council tax, even if you lose the dole you still live rent & council tax free???

I don't think so, do you have a link?

I may be wrong:

http://www.walsall.gov.uk/index/community_and_living/benefits/housing_benefit_faq.htm#8009

How long is housing benefit paid for?

Housing benefit will be awarded for as long as entitlement remains. From time to time we will need to confirm certain details of your claim and we will contact you where this is necessary or we may arrange to visit you.

AND

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/EN/wales/life/benefits/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#who_can_get_housing_benefit

How long is Housing Benefit paid for?

Generally, once you start getting Housing Benefit payment can continue indefinitely. Housing benefit only has to stop if you are no longer entitled to it.

Edited by jones87

HOLA4418

jones87, on 18 October 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

I may be wrong:

http://www.walsall.g...it_faq.htm#8009

How long is housing benefit paid for?

Housing benefit will be awarded for as long as entitlement remains. From time to time we will need to confirm certain details of your claim and we will contact you where this is necessary or we may arrange to visit you.

that does imply that you would need an income from somewhere on top of housing benefit, just to eat - and if that is a normal above-board jobm then you lose HB...?

Edited by Si1

HOLA4419

I agree, social housing should be a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

Why ever not?

If someone is happy to rent for life, provided the tenancy is secure and the rent subject to democratic oversight,

then surely that's a good thing.

And in case you are under a mis-aprehension, COUNCIL HOUSING IS NOT SUBSIDISED!

HOLA4420

Why ever not?

If someone is happy to rent for life, provided the tenancy is secure and the rent subject to democratic oversight,

then surely that's a good thing.

And in case you are under a mis-aprehension, COUNCIL HOUSING IS NOT SUBSIDISED!

I suspect we have crossed-purposes here - I read 'What' s post as referring to life-long housing benefits (which seem to take place in social housing estates), whereas I read yours as referring to social housing paid for by the tennant

Edited by Si1

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

wow, bold move by the coalition!

So little info on the bbc news website right now, but I wouldn't put it past this government to make the changes to all those in council houses, not just future applicants!

I think we need to clarify whether 'social housing budget' means (1) total amount of money allocated to Housing Benefits (or future equivalent portion of rent support) or (2) council house and/or housing assoc building

HOLA4423

The HRA rules are also incredibly complicated, the net effect being that councils cannot set their rents or retain their profits to

expand the housing stock. Unfortunately.

Is that not what they are changing?

The article seemed to suggest that rents would increase in order to fund an expansion of the housing stock.

HOLA4424

Is that not what they are changing?

The article seemed to suggest that rents would increase in order to fund an expansion of the housing stock.

ok...

Tenants will be charged nearer the going market rate, to release cash for the building programme.

in the near-term I can't see them having the pricing power, I expect rents to stay flat or fall for forseeable

also, with such transparent market-pricing and capital accumulation, councils will need a unique selling point or two to not simply hive all this job off to private investment firms

Edited by Si1

HOLA4425

I think we need to clarify whether 'social housing budget' means (1) total amount of money allocated to Housing Benefits (or future equivalent portion of rent support) or (2) council house and/or housing assoc building

This whole thread seems to be more than a little unclear on that point.