House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Social Housing Budget To Be Cut By More Than 50 Per Cent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11570923

Social housing budget 'to be cut in half'
The social housing budget in England is to be cut by more than 50%, the BBC understands.
Council housing "for life" will also be phased out, with the needs of new council tenants assessed over time.
Despite the cuts, ministers are likely to set a target of building 150,000 affordable homes, changing the way councils charge rent to finance them.
Tenants will be charged nearer the going market rate, to release cash for the building programme.

Absolutely inevitable. There is no money to provide subsidised housing anymore. And not likely to ever be so again. It wont be long before BTL is encouraged again and seen as a socially acceptable thing to do, to house the population.

I'm glad they're scrapping Council Houses For Life. Back in the day it was useful when people had a job-for-life, and very low pay.

Now, we have much higher standards of living, where you're considered a pauper for not having a plasma TV and iPhone and there's greater job mobility.

If you get a well paid job, why should you pay peanuts for your house ? Why should you live in a house that could go to a more deserving person/family .

Tenants will be charged nearer the going market rate, to release cash for the building programme.

Such a good idea if they use that money for building affordable housing - all to often a good idea gets hijacked and the funds don't get spent where promised.

Edited by exiges

I'm glad they're scrapping Council Houses For Life. Back in the day it was useful when people had a job-for-life, and very low pay.

Now, we have much higher standards of living, where you're considered a pauper for not having a plasma TV and iPhone and there's greater job mobility.

If you get a well paid job, why should you pay peanuts for your house ? Why should you live in a house that could go to a more deserving person/family

Such a good idea if they use that money for building affordable housing - all to often a good idea gets hijacked and the funds don't get spent where promised.

I agree, social housing should be a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

I agree, social housing should be a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

My understanding at the moment is Housing Benefit is for life once it has been applied for?

For example, on the dole, H/B pays for your 2 bed flat with no council tax, even if you loose the dole you still live rent & council tax free???

This is good news for everyone (except landlords).

Is it really bad news for landlords ? If you're in social housing and are told that you're now affluent enough to pay market rates for it will you stay, or will you find a private rental that's not on a council estate ?

My understanding at the moment is Housing Benefit is for life once it has been applied for?

For example, on the dole, H/B pays for your 2 bed flat with no council tax, even if you lose the dole you still live rent & council tax free???

I don't think so, do you have a link?

Is it really bad news for landlords ? If you're in social housing and are told that you're now affluent enough to pay market rates for it will you stay, or will you find a private rental that's not on a council estate ?

WTF?

Never before have so many been given so much, for so little.

Frankly, the British sub-working class are a lost cause.

But as usual it will be the working class on low pay who get hit. Those deemed earning enough to pay 20% income tax and the second income tax called NI at 11% on low earnings , but not left with enough to put a decent roof over their head by either buying or renting in the private sector who will get shafted .

In other news: Standard of living to improve as rents set to fall 50%

Dream on

The more the social housing budget's have been reduced over the last 30 years the more rent's in both the public and private sector have gone up.

Looks to me like there'll be two classes of tenants; existing and second class new tenants with less security. Things will take many years to change as it's largely a question of waiting for tenants to die.

I'd expect the number of council houses to fall.

Dream on

The more the social housing budget's have been reduced over the last 30 years the more rent's in both the public and private sector have gone up.

do you have a chart to show this?

do you have a chart to show this?

Not you

Still paying more in rent than you could be paying mortgage are we ?

They are talking about this on R5live at the mo.

Some chap has telphoned in said rents are too high so he lives in a horsebox.

Hmm that's an advancement on R5L's normal strawman proposals. :)

Surely this can only lead to a cut in the amount of new houses?

And the social housing sector does not have enough as it is, thanks to Thatcher.

We have immigration driven population increase driving the demand for housing, this is not going to be good for the racial cohesion.