House Price Crash Forum

Mumsnet - House Prices

HouseDog

HOLA441

Same boat over here <waves from South West>. House has been on the market since May, only one viewing so changed agents last week. New agents recommended we drop the price by 7k which we have agreed to do.

I am currently working in London away from the kids and DH . Love my job but my entire wage goes on rent, travel and childcare.

I swear buyers smell desperation. Fingers crossed for all that things pick up, but not too optimistic over here, sadly.

Which begs the question - "why aren't you at home raising your kids?".

Edited by the.ciscokid

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Someone called "notsomumsie" posted this over on Mumsnet:

What you need is some gold sprayed twigs in a vase. Works every time apparently.

I think we have a clear winner in the "obvious troll post" competition. It's very probably going to get blamed on HPC, and give us even more of a bad name over there <_<

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'd heard the child benefit cuts were going to hit some people hard, but cooking the kids seems an extreme reaction.

Don't worry!

Non-cooked

HOLA449
HOLA4410

What a cow! I've rewritten the post for her to remove the hubris.

wiltsmum Wed 08-Sep-10 14:40:38 Hello all!

Guess what-we had an offer, but it was so low [generous, 5% only below peak 07 price] (310k) for a house valued at [a delusional 30% above peak 07 price, e.g.] 399k. So who is right? [I wonder.] There is nothing comparable in our area for anything like 310k [The neighbourhood is experiencing mass delusion so we should do like them]. The people offering had 'sold' and are just after a bargain [I want their piece of the cake]. There is another property in our village for sale within their budget, but guess what, the agent sent them to us-thinking we would let our house go at whatever price [a price that reflects more than delusional market value and we can't have that can we].

Whilst we want to sell, we paid £325k in Dec 07 [with money we never earned, thank you property ladder] and have spent 40k renovating [by changing the boiler and adding a Vesuvius volcanic rock kitchen top that adds no value, I wish I'd gone for the twiggs]. Not borrowed money-our own, hard earned cash [extracted from our previous house sale when we downsided]. There is a limit to how far we will drop [We shall be greedy and thick until the bitter end], and many people now in 'rented' are just biding their time until people like us get desperate [lose the hubris and come back to earth]. We are only asking 350k [ which is more than anyone in their right mind would pay, 10% more than peak 07 price].

I am now more annoyed with the agent than ever [myself for being such a pathetic greedy cow so I'll blame the agent to avoid the shame], but as we are tied to them for another 3 months I feel we are up the proverbial creek....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

good question dude.register,post it,put kevlar,helmet on,find foxhole.you're f****** with germaine's career.

Lol, I wasn't trying to be sexist! I was trying to point out that working for zero net gain is a bit daft (no matter how much you "love" your job, when you could be doing something productive - like bringing up your own kids. The point is, she seems to allude to working a full week only covers the working expenses.

HOLA4413

Do you mean "at home cooking and raising the kids"?

Nah, I ******ed up. I only deleted the word "after", rather than "looking after", and replaced with "raising".

"Cooking and raising the kids" would have added a little extra sexist spice to the comment though (not that it was intended). :)

Edited by the.ciscokid

HOLA4414

Lol, I wasn't trying to be sexist! I was trying to point out that working for zero net gain is a bit daft (no matter how much you "love" your job, when you could be doing something productive - like bringing up your own kids. The point is, she seems to allude to working a full week only covers the working expenses.

I thought she was also covering the rent.

Edit: sp.

Edited by fdk

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I thought she was also covering the rent.

Edit: sp.

I think she's just covering the rent on a London flat she needs for the job... I dunno - I don't think we're getting the full story. Love your job? Fine - but would you really do it for (essentially) nothing and in a location that means you don't see your family all week? The only people I know who are doing the latter get paid a hell of a lot for having no family life...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well I've done my bit.

Adopted 2 kids 2 months ago, wife on 14 months leave from her job to get them settled in, council stitched us up and the oldest had to be put into private nursery due to no places in the borough, and I took a £60k job.

We get no help from the government to raise these kids (and don't want to ask/beg), and we'll be one of those families who lose the child benefit, which was about the only thing we are getting.

It helps that we have a small mortgage, and a small loan we got to fund IVF when we couldn't get the government to help us with that (either - seeing a patern here?)

So yeah, let the greedy overextended sods drown! I've lived modestly, contributed to my country, contributed to society and struggled to keep my mouth shut when I saw everyone around me getting fat on their overpriced homes.

Time to watch the world burn. :P

Edited by Djini

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Well I've done my bit.

Adopted 2 kids 2 months ago, wife on 14 months leave from her job to get them settled in, council stitched us up and the oldest had to be put into private nursery due to no places in the borough, and I took a £60k job.

We get no help from the government to raise these kids snip

£60K job...what possible help could you need?

even mentioning it shows a particular mindset.

HOLA4421

Well I've done my bit.

We get no help from the government to raise these kids (and don't want to ask/beg), and we'll be one of those families who lose the child benefit, which was about the only thing we are getting.

It helps that we have a small mortgage, and a small loan we got to fund IVF when we couldn't get the government to help us with that (either - seeing a patern here?)

So yeah, let the greedy overextended sods drown! I've lived modestly, contributed to my country, contributed to society and struggled to keep my mouth shut when I saw everyone around me getting fat on their overpriced homes.

Time to watch the world burn. :P

+1

HOLA4422

even mentioning it shows a particular mindset.

Have a look at how much money it costs to keep a child in the system, and how much they have to pay Foster carers.

I mentioned I did not ask for help, to enphasise how I'm 'doing my bit', not because I was expecting to be paid to do it!

Oh and epic bit of editing on your part too, the rest of that sentence read "(and don't want to ask/beg), ".

Kudos!

Edited by Djini

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'd have to seriously cut back to live on 60K - consider having less than three cars and half a dozen or more trips abroad every year. The very idea of occasionally having to "save up" (I thing thats what they call it ...) to buy a say a plasma TV sends shivers down my spine.

HOLA4425