House Price Crash Forum

Tattooed Woman 'told To Put Bag Over Head By Jobcentre'

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Hayley-ONeil_1723401c.jpg

Don't fancy yours much

Sensible advice IMO. Self-employment beckons.

Hayley O'Neil, 23, - who also has 20 body piercings - says was also advised to ''stand behind a wall'' when she asked a job centre official what post she could apply for.

She eventually left the Job centre plus centre in Blackburn Lancs in tear without any interviewers lined up after the advisor concluded: ''Who would hire you looking like that?''

And as is oftne the case, the parent(s) is as bad.

Miss O'Neil, who got her first tattoo from her mother as an 18th birthday present said: ''I just felt so humiliated. I couldn't believe what this guy was saying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8020254/Tattooed-woman-told-to-put-bag-over-head-by-Jobcentre.html

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Bloody kids! Everyone should look eaxctly the same as me and my wife.

Depends what you look like.

People think this makes them look individual, whilst in fact it makes them look ugly and retarded. What's the phrase about tattoos - colour on their body to make up for the lack of colour in their lives?

That woman doesn't actually have a bad face, if she got rid of all that crap, slimmed down and smiled a bit she'd be fine. I would suggest to anybody that thinks it's a good idea to have these things to look at what people who have these things do for a living; jobs that no-one else wants to do.

HOLA447

Refreshing, isn't it :).

There's nothing new about the omnipresent modern belief that there are no objective standards in appearance, we are all special wonderful individuals and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is committing the ultimate crime of 'causing offence'.

The real news is that she was told this and nobody has been fired or bought before a human rights tribunal for doing so....

HOLA448
HOLA449

Depends what you look like.

People think this makes them look individual, whilst in fact it makes them look ugly and retarded. What's the phrase about tattoos - colour on their body to make up for the lack of colour in their lives?

That woman doesn't actually have a bad face, if she got rid of all that crap, slimmed down and smiled a bit she'd be fine. I would suggest to anybody that thinks it's a good idea to have these things to look at what people who have these things do for a living; jobs that no-one else wants to do.

I'm not a fan of tattoos, piercings and excess weight either, but I'm also not a fan of bland conformity. I personally can't stand the shiny suit / hair gel combo or over the top make up, but I'd never be so rude as to tell people that they should put a bag on their head just because it's not my thing. If other people want to make themselves look ugly, fine, it makes little difference to their ability to do a job, although they might sometimes have to work harder to get people to take them seriously.

HOLA4410

I'm not a fan of tattoos, piercings and excess weight either, but I'm also not a fan of bland conformity. I personally can't stand the shiny suit / hair gel combo or over the top make up, but I'd never be so rude as to tell people that they should put a bag on their head just because it's not my thing. If other people want to make themselves look ugly, fine, it makes little difference to their ability to do a job, although they might sometimes have to work harder to get people to take them seriously.

And if you make yourself look ugly then why shouldn't you expect to get told so? It's rather insensitive to have a go at people with the looks they were born with, but accept the consequences of any changes you deliberately make to yourself. Some people aren't going to like it and, quite frankly, why shouldn't they say so? If she had turned up dressed as a clown it would've been fine to say she looks ridiculous (unless she was after a job in a circus).

HOLA4411

There's nothing new about the omnipresent modern belief that there are no objective standards in appearance, we are all special wonderful individuals and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is committing the ultimate crime of 'causing offence'.

The real news is that she was told this and nobody has been fired or bought before a human rights tribunal for doing so....

There are no objective standards of appearance.

We ARE all special wonderful individuals.

Nowt wrong with causing offence though, you assholes. :)

I'm not exactly sure what you want her to do, tbh. We are in a depression. If you think that her easing off the burgers and taking the nose stud out is going to magic up lots of jobs, you need to put the crack pipe down. This blame the victim nonsense is almost as terrible logic as putting the vindicitive assholery of some benefit clerk down to the coalition government sweeping clean.

:lol:

HOLA4412

And if you make yourself look ugly then why shouldn't you expect to get told so? It's rather insensitive to have a go at people with the looks they were born with, but accept the consequences of any changes you deliberately make to yourself. Some people aren't going to like it and, quite frankly, why shouldn't they say so? If she had turned up dressed as a clown it would've been fine to say she looks ridiculous (unless she was after a job in a circus).

Is she ever going to get a job as a receptionist or similar, or is she always going to be backroom gal?

With that boat race, shes office staff in the back or factory hand. I don't see her disqualifying herself from any job that she was going to be given without all that metal shit sticking out of her head.

HOLA4413

Hayley-ONeil_1723401c.jpg

Don't fancy yours much

Sensible advice IMO. Self-employment beckons.

And as is oftne the case, the parent(s) is as bad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8020254/Tattooed-woman-told-to-put-bag-over-head-by-Jobcentre.html

Can't help wondering whether people covered with tattoos/piercings do actually want jobs. They must realize that their appearance is going to count against them in any interview they might get.

Daughter was temping at a (private) recruitment agency a few yrs ago. Some young male graduate came in, long scruffy, dirty hair, scruffy clothes, a few piercings, lounging in the chair.

The interviewer was very blunt. 'Don't waste my time. Cut your hair. Smarten yourself up, learn to sit up straight - and then I might exert myself for you.'

And b*gger me, he did.

Daughter said the transformation was unbelievable.

HOLA4414

Can't help wondering whether people covered with tattoos/piercings do actually want jobs. They must realize that their appearance is going to count against them in any interview they might get.

Daughter was temping at a (private) recruitment agency a few yrs ago. Some young male graduate came in, long scruffy, dirty hair, scruffy clothes, a few piercings, lounging in the chair.

The interviewer was very blunt. 'Don't waste my time. Cut your hair. Smarten yourself up, learn to sit up straight - and then I might exert myself for you.'

And b*gger me, he did.

Daughter said the transformation was unbelievable.

Sad.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

And if you make yourself look ugly then why shouldn't you expect to get told so? It's rather insensitive to have a go at people with the looks they were born with, but accept the consequences of any changes you deliberately make to yourself. Some people aren't going to like it and, quite frankly, why shouldn't they say so?

Just manners, I guess. And personal preferences. Some people really do think tattoos look good, for some reason. I just don't get what's so great about everyone looking the same.

HOLA4419

Well I work in the creative department at an ad agency & some of the web developers in the past have been quite 'interestingly' turned out - long hair, tattoos everywhere, 'metal' band vests, piercings (not facial though admittedly).

Thing is these guys are often brilliant and no-one at the agency gives a toss about how they look.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That woman doesn't actually have a bad face, if she got rid of all that crap, slimmed down and smiled a bit she'd be fine.

She's probably had more money spent on piercings and tattoos than on her teeth.

It looks like she has got those discs that you put in your earlobes that seem to be becoming increasingly common.

I cannot think of an easier way to ruin your life, why do people do it to themselves?

A young and thankfully distant relative did that. He's now got a distinctly off-putting dangly bit where his left earlobe used to be.

HOLA4422

Just manners, I guess. And personal preferences. Some people really do think tattoos look good, for some reason. I just don't get what's so great about everyone looking the same.

Who ever said it would be great if everyone looked the same? That doesn't mean I should pretend that I don't find someone's look ridiculous or ugly when that's exactly what I think.

HOLA4423

Well I work in the creative department at an ad agency & some of the web developers in the past have been quite 'interestingly' turned out - long hair, tattoos everywhere, 'metal' band vests, piercings (not facial though admittedly).

Thing is these guys are often brilliant and no-one at the agency gives a toss about how they look.

Well that's because they were working in the creative department of an ad agency...

Not a surprise. People are affected by the appearence of other people. It is a simple fact. In many jobs this matters. Looking a certain way can be advantageous or disadvantageous. Whether this is 'right' or 'wrong' is another debate entirely. If this girl lost a bit of weight, lost the piercings and covered here tattoos ? She would have a far better chance of getting most of the jobs she went for. This is a simple undeniable fact.

We are all affected by how others look. You may hear people telling you otherwise however they are lying. If someone has a business, knows this, and therefore wants their employees to look a cetain way ? Why not. Surely that is just common sense.

One thing about all these people trying not to 'conform' and to look 'different'. They are conforming !! Just to something else. The number of truly individual people out there is miniscule. In fact the truly individual people out there will be ones you do not even notice.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived