House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tattooed Woman 'told To Put Bag Over Head By Jobcentre'

I don't get any such reaction.

So possibly either i'm not human or you are mistaking cultural prejudice for instinct.

just sayin'

Forgive me, I had never realised that was the culture in Lancashire. I was under the impression it was cloth caps and whippets.

I have worked on many rock 'n roll tours where that look was the norm among the crew, and anybody who looked like a clean-cut Christian non-smoker would not have got past the first interview. I fitted in because I have very long hair and look every inch the biker.

I wouldn't expect a restaurant to hire me as a waiter, or Travel Inn to hire me as a receptionist. I don't bellyache about it, and am free to cut my hair if I seek that type of employment. As an earlier poster pointed out, she would be ideal working in a tattooist's or a piercer's studio.

She cultivates an image of aggressiveness and non-conformity so she can't really complain when it has the desired effect.

Spot on Harry. You can always rely on a trucker to nail it.

Good luck with Injin.

Spot on Harry. You can always rely on a trucker to nail it.

Good luck with Injin.

To take everything at face value is what the truly dim do, surely?

To take everything at face value is what the truly dim do, surely?

So you walk up to everbody you encounter, ask them about their hobbies etc. before daring to form an opinion of them do you? Or do you instead take in their overall appearance and make an initial judgement as everybody in the world bar you and Injin does.

Do you have rubber sheets?

So you walk up to everbody you encounter, ask them about their hobbies etc. before daring to form an opinion of them do you? Or do you instead take in their overall appearance and make an initial judgement as everybody in the world bar you and Injin does.

I don't talk to just anyone you know. If they live in a rented house or, perish the thought a rented flat, I run a mile. I mean, must be a peasant if they rent.

I don;'t think anyone is saying that people don't make snap opinions based on very subjective criteria, some of us are merely saying that's how it is.

Instead of some massively higher value you have to obey, it's just some random opinions of folks who aren't thinking straight that have to be paid attention to to stay in work. they are retarded, the situation is retarded and can't be helped.

No idea why you have to make bending to cretins a good thing.

trying to dodge the humiliation of it?

I don't talk to just anyone you know. If they live in a rented house or, perish the thought a rented flat, I run a mile. I mean, must be a peasant if they rent.

I see, you were continuing a previous argument with another poster. I was back on the original post and wasn't contributing to the new one.

Forgive me, I had never realised that was the culture in Lancashire. I was under the impression it was cloth caps and whippets.

great! You agree that it's just a cultural bias you have.

I have worked on many rock 'n roll tours where that look was the norm among the crew, and anybody who looked like a clean-cut Christian non-smoker would not have got past the first interview. I fitted in because I have very long hair and look every inch the biker.

Which is retarded, obviously.

I wouldn't expect a restaurant to hire me as a waiter, or Travel Inn to hire me as a receptionist. I don't bellyache about it, and am free to cut my hair if I seek that type of employment. As an earlier poster pointed out, she would be ideal working in a tattooist's or a piercer's studio.

Right.

I think we agree on everything at this point. :) (Except maybe you not saying these sorts of situations are pretty moronic.)

I don;'t think anyone is saying that peopel don't make snap opiniksn based on very subjective criteria, some of us are merely saying that's how it is.

Instead of some massively higher value you have to obey, it's just some random opinions of folks who aren't thinking straight that have to be paid attention to to stay in work. they are retarded, the situation is retarded and can't be helped.

No idea why you have to make bending to cretins a good thing.

trying to dodge the humiliation of it?

You know the effect your appearance has; that is why you select those parts of it that you are able to choose.

If you choose to select clothes or adornments to make a particular statement than that statement is what you are making.

The Queen does not wear jeans and a bedjacket to open parliament.

You know the effect your appearance has; that is why you select those parts of it that you are able to choose.

You actually have zero idea of the effect your appearance has unless you experiment a shitload.

If you choose to select clothes or adornments to make a particular statement than that statement is what you are making.

only in your fevered imagination.

The Queen does not wear jeans and a bedjacket to open parliament.

And?

I see, you were continuing a previous argument with another poster. I was back on the original post and wasn't contributing to the new one.

A man of my caliber cannot be expected to read the whole thread, so I'll assume it refers to appearance. So, yes, i agree. I would never employ someone who rents on account they must be an underachieving loser. That's the image they portray to me. Am I wrong to think so?

She cultivates an image of aggressiveness and non-conformity so she can't really complain when it has the desired effect.

I don't see it as an aggressive image, but I guess I can see why some, perhaps more traditional or elderly people, might. Still, better that it's only an image of aggression rather than the actual aggression shown by some of the posters on this thread.

"He talked to me as though I was just going through a phase in my life, but this is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."

It's my lifestyle choice to smear shit over my face. Can you help me get a job please?

Council tip is taking on, also local abbatoir.

:)

Also farmers might be worth a look.

It's been a while since Injin has failed this hard on one thread.

I'd say he's pretty much the only one actually doing some thinking on the thread rather than just joining in the knee-jerk jeering.

I'd say he's pretty much the only one actually doing some thinking on the thread rather than just joining in the knee-jerk jeering.

So you think that the jobcentre's advice was wrong that interviewers take your appearance into account when they assess your suitability for a job?

So you think that the jobcentre's advice was wrong that interviewers take your appearance into account when they assess your suitability for a job?

No, I already said what I think earlier on, but I know it's not always fun to read through every page of a thread. I recognise that it is expedient to play the game to get a job, but also that the game is based on arbitrary, meaningless rules, which is what Injin pointed out. What you wear and how you look makes zero difference to your ability to do a job, and employers who make rash judgements based on appearance are probably missing out on genuinely talented people. It's all very subjective anyway, I find the pin-striped city boys and lawyers a hoot when I see them on the tube in what look like expensive pajamas, and I'd hire someone with tattoos over a cocky hair-gelled smart **** any day of the week.

Hmmm... so it's not OK for her to look odd, but OK to insult her when she goes for advice. Sounds back to front to me. She can look however she wants (yes including shit smearing) and if she goes to a community-provided service for advice, then person giving the advice should have the common decency to say "look I'll be honest, you might find one reason you're having trouble finding a job is..." rather than the rude things reported.

Unless this is a completely bogus made up non-story designed to get us frothing

The advisor in the job centre got all carried away with the 'power' of his position, saw this woman as beneath him and was a rude w*nker. The subject of the abuse is irrelevant. Interesting to see so many identifying with the authority figure putting the 'scum' in their place.

I don't see it as an aggressive image, but I guess I can see why some, perhaps more traditional or elderly people, might.

Well, if you are in business you need to attract every £ you can, even those £s belonging to more traditional and elderly people... especially as they are the ones who have the £££s.

You actually have zero idea of the effect your appearance has unless you experiment a shitload.

only in your fevered imagination.

And?

Absolute tripe.

This is why I usually don't waste my time with you and won't bother again.