House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tattooed Woman 'told To Put Bag Over Head By Jobcentre'

Absolute tripe.

This is why I usually don't waste my time with you and won't bother again.

So you know the effect your appearance has on everyone else?

And those are universal statements that everyone knows?

And I am the one talking tripe?

:lol::lol:

Not a pretty sight. End of.

Hayley-ONeil_1723401c.jpg

Sure, but she's not going to become cindy crawford if you take the railings out, is she?

Unless this is a romantic comedy or something.....

Sure, but she's not going to become cindy crawford if you take the railings out, is she?

Unless this is a romantic comedy or something.....

Ultimately, there is something wrong with her if she feels the need to do this to herself. Perhaps she knows that it is her destiny never to find a job, living in Blackburn and all that, and has decided to get the first strike in.

Ultimately, there is something wrong with her if she feels the need to do this to herself. Perhaps she knows that it is her destiny never to find a job, living in Blackburn and all that, and has decided to get the first strike in.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her.

What is hidden is why she is behaving the way she is. You don't randomly start to shove pins through your head, stick on several stone and leave your hair unkempt. Takes effort, and that means purpose (although probably unconscious.)

What is hidden is why she is behaving the way she is. You don't randomly start to shove pins through your head, stick on several stone and leave your hair unkempt. Takes effort, and that means purpose (although probably unconscious.)

Well, we can't afford any more public sector workers to analyse her so we'd just better let her get on with it.

Which is why people would be reluctant to employ her.

Which means they'd have cause to judge her on her appearance.

No, I already said what I think earlier on, but I know it's not always fun to read through every page of a thread. I recognise that it is expedient to play the game to get a job, but also that the game is based on arbitrary, meaningless rules, which is what Injin pointed out. What you wear and how you look makes zero difference to your ability to do a job, and employers who make rash judgements based on appearance are probably missing out on genuinely talented people. It's all very subjective anyway, I find the pin-striped city boys and lawyers a hoot when I see them on the tube in what look like expensive pajamas, and I'd hire someone with tattoos over a cocky hair-gelled smart **** any day of the week.

So you judge on appearance as well then? Jolly good.

Hmmm... so it's not OK for her to look odd, but OK to insult her when she goes for advice. Sounds back to front to me. She can look however she wants (yes including shit smearing) and if she goes to a community-provided service for advice, then person giving the advice should have the common decency to say "look I'll be honest, you might find one reason you're having trouble finding a job is..." rather than the rude things reported.

Unless this is a completely bogus made up non-story designed to get us frothing

The report made it sound like they did do that, but in a rather clumsy tactless way. People who work in Job Centres are not Cicero.

In pretty much every walk of life there is a little game of give and take, you adapt, you succeed, if you adapt too far you fail. This woman has chosen to state "I'm not going to play the game". Fine. My choice not to employ her.

Let's face it, it isn't my loss. I have umpteen highly capable candidates for a job and I'm reduced to throwing CVs in the bin because they have spelling or grammar mistakes - anything to get the number down to an interviewable level. Why the f*** would I even waste 15 minutes of my time on this person?

No, I already said what I think earlier on, but I know it's not always fun to read through every page of a thread. I recognise that it is expedient to play the game to get a job, but also that the game is based on arbitrary, meaningless rules, which is what Injin pointed out. What you wear and how you look makes zero difference to your ability to do a job, and employers who make rash judgements based on appearance are probably missing out on genuinely talented people. It's all very subjective anyway, I find the pin-striped city boys and lawyers a hoot when I see them on the tube in what look like expensive pajamas, and I'd hire someone with tattoos over a cocky hair-gelled smart **** any day of the week.

I think that your post touches on the crux of the issue.There are two separate points here.Should she be allowed to have tattoos and piercings? Well yes.Will they prevent her getting a job? Yes they will.I wouldn't employ her,not because I don't like what she looks like but simply because I know that some of my customers would be judgmental.I can't do anything about that but I could not afford to have her alienating them.

In pretty much every walk of life there is a little game of give and take, you adapt, you succeed, if you adapt too far you fail. This woman has chosen to state "I'm not going to play the game". Fine. My choice not to employ her.

Let's face it, it isn't my loss. I have umpteen highly capable candidates for a job and I'm reduced to throwing CVs in the bin because they have spelling or grammar mistakes - anything to get the number down to an interviewable level. Why the f*** would I even waste 15 minutes of my time on this person?

Yes, I just can't believe there has been so much contradictory argument about it.

Which is why telling her to improve her looks won't work (and neither will she.)

Because some primeval instinct, over which I have no control, make me knot slightly in my stomach at the sight of her, presumably because these basic instincts tell me that fellow human beings should not have a face-full of pop-rivets.

But then she knows this, that's why she does it.

Try Again.

post-16422-12853703102607_thumb.jpg

Thing is I don't see any prospective employers telling her she can't have a job because of the way she chooses to dress. I see a someone whose job it is to find her a job, making excuses not to find her one.

She has a right to dress a she chooses.

She also has a right to expect the same level of service from a state funded organisation as anyone else.

stick on several stone and leave your hair unkempt. Takes effort

Sticking on several stone and leaving your hair unkempt might more properly indicate a lack of effort, even in "Injinworld"?

Sticking on several stone and leaving your hair unkempt might more properly indicate a lack of effort, even in "Injinworld"?

Try overeating and not washing for a few days, see how you get on.

:)

(Single men not included in above challenge. Tidy up, for ******s sake!)

So you judge on appearance as well then? Jolly good.

Never denied it, but I've also never told someone up front that that they look ridiculous or ugly. At least not when I was sober.

There are no rules about appearance. It's a free market - and I can refuse any offer.

Well they're not rules in that they're not written down, but there are definitely 'norms' to which individuals are expected to conform. 'Rules' is just shorthand for this as 'norms to which individuals are expected to conform' is a bit of an unwealdy expression.

There are no rules about appearance. It's a free market - and I can refuse any offer.

Indeed.

And you might refuse those offers based on a misonception.

;)

I live in the real world, same as everyone else.

In that real world, arbitary crazy rules about appearance are fairly prevalent. They make zero sense, but theres not a lot you can do about crazy dickheads except put up with them and try to aim for a world with fewer of them about.

Well, your real world is a tad different from mine, then.

Like it or not, and many of us may well wish they didn't*, appearances do matter if you're after a job.

It might not matter at all for some highly creative, clever person to go for an interview for some highly creative position in scruffy jeans and with hair all over the place.

However, for someone like the OP woman, maybe not over-bright and with little in the way of CV/track record/ experience of anything useful, it is only sensible for any advisor to point out to her that her appearance is probably not going to help.

Though obviously he should have put it more kindly/politely.

It's no use wishing these things didn't matter.

*perhaps especially older, ordinary-looking women who know perfectly well that their appearance is going to count against them at any interview with men, and the younger, 'bubbly' one is going to get it yet again, regardless of whether she's going to be any better at the job.

Please NB this is not a whinge due to any personal experience. ;)

Well, your real world is a tad different from mine, then.

Like it or not, and many of us may well wish they didn't*, appearances do matter if you're after a job.

I already said that they are. Employers also test to see if their candidates can read, I have heard.

It might not matter at all for some highly creative, clever person to go for an interview for some highly creative position in scruffy jeans and with hair all over the place.

However, for someone like the OP woman, maybe not over-bright and with little in the way of CV/track record/ experience of anything useful, it is only sensible for any advisor to point out to her that her appearance is probably not going to help.

I agree. This didn't happen though, instead she got abuse.

Though obviously he should have put it more kindly/politely.

It's no use wishing these things didn't matter.

I agree, you have to treat everyone who thinks looks do matter like the moron they are.

*perhaps especially older, ordinary-looking women who know perfectly well that their appearance is going to count against them at any interview with men, and the younger, 'bubbly' one is going to get it yet again, regardless of whether she's going to be any better at the job.

Please NB this is not a whinge due to any personal experience. ;)

I don't think we disagree on anything major except one area - I say that we have such a situation is retarded, inane.

That's all I said. Some people make snap judgements on what could be a long standing relationship where behaviour is much more important than anything else based on appearances alone. This is retarded. You have to pay attention to the way things are, but that's not the same as accwepting them or approving of them. Once upon a time we all had to go to church in sunday best (or else!) and that was retarded. By saying it's retarded and refusing to accept it as an objective value we move incrementally closer to a world where such wastes don't occur.