Cheap property (thanks to the crash)

Superb weather.

Disney

Cheap food.

Cheap gasoline

Zero state tax

Everglades

Superb beaches

Even better natural beauty (swamps, gators, wildlife second to none).

If you arrive now you are quids in.

HOLA443

For some reason you've reminded me of a delightfully 'out there' book called 'Long-life in Florida' by 'professor' Hilton Hotema:

d_86298815ca21d0f3c0ad8de2de3bdfc5.jpg

Basically the author believed Florida had a unique combination of first world society with a third world tropical climate - and was the perfect base for man's return to Eden:

Have you ever been there in the summer months? Unbearable heat.

It's not just the money lost on property, it's the lack of knowledge over visas. When holiday property progs were all the rage a few years ago, nobody seemed to mention that you can't just pop over to Florida whenever you want. You can't just go and live there if you fancy it either, it's not the same as the EU or Commonwealth countries.

HOLA444

It's not just the money lost on property, it's the lack of knowledge over visas. When holiday property progs were all the rage a few years ago, nobody seemed to mention that you can't just pop over to Florida whenever you want. You can't just go and live there if you fancy it either, it's not the same as the EU or Commonwealth countries.

Good points on that-you are correct. The heat is not the problem really, it's the humidity. I was in Moab (Utah) the other day. Desert-125 degrees but no humidity. Bloody hot but not as bad as Florida. The problem with the old visas is not really the length of stay (6 months on a B Visa) but the fact that they have changed the rules on drivers licences. To get one you just needed to pop in to the DMV and they would give you one for the length of your stay (as per your I94). Now you need a SS # which are impossible to get unless you have a work visa (my lads have L visas so OK on that score). I wouldn't be surprised if they changed back to the old rules otherwise it would mean hire cars for the ex-pats which would be bloody expensive. As long as you nip over the border (or go back home, Bahamas etc.) you can get restamped. It wouldn't fly here in the NE as they would flag you at immigration but they are used to it in Florida. Immigration are pretty good there for Brits-they know that they keep the old economy going to a large extent. owever, as you rightly say, you can't just come here and think you can stay ad-infinitum.

HOLA445

Basically the author believed Florida had a unique combination of first world society with a third world tropical climate - and was the perfect base for man's return to Eden

Sounds like it's got a touch of the J.G. Ballard about it.

J.%20G.%20Ballard_1962_The%20Drowned%20World.jpg

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Where the hell did they find this one?? :o

Kirsty...eat your heart out!

edit: and a rip off Gold advert to put the icing on the cake.

Give us all that valuable Gold and swap it for a falling foreclosure!

Edited by spp

HOLA4410

Not a problem if you are seriously rich though

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Jesus wept - but they make great telly.

I wish I had met a woman like that 15 years ago. I would have said yes to everything she said just to shut her up and ended up buying every house she wanted - by now I too would be a property millionaire simply having ridden the bubble in a quest for some peace and quiet! :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It has always been interesting to me that the US's closest ally - the nation who usually backs them up and fights and dies alongside them - finds it the hardest of perhaps all nations to get permanent residency in the US?

I am convinced that you will find it easier to be a US citizen if you are a member of Al Qaeda than a Brit. It is just nuts and I can't understand why there appears to be this anti-British sentiment in US immigration?

There was that case back in the 90s when the US invaded Somalia and the warlord they were looking for had a son in the very US Marines who had landed to, um, capture him.

HOLA4420

God this 'Home Cinema' business pair are a joke.

Ever heard of due diligence?

Seriously how do people that dumb get the money to do this kind of shit?

I wondered that. Now the couple that got ill and have lost their savings on medical bills.

HOLA4421

It has always been interesting to me that the US's closest ally - the nation who usually backs them up and fights and dies alongside them - finds it the hardest of perhaps all nations to get permanent residency in the US?

I am convinced that you will find it easier to be a US citizen if you are a member of Al Qaeda than a Brit. It is just nuts and I can't understand why there appears to be this anti-British sentiment in US immigration?

British are not eligible for the 'Green Card Lottery' (Diversity Visa)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

British are not eligible for the 'Green Card Lottery' (Diversity Visa)

Yep, I know that - odd that isn't it?

I can only assume that there is some agreement between the US and UK to stop this happening out of UK fear that there would be an exodus to the US.

I know the Tech companies love Brits going to live over there but, again, you are then tied into that company and get chucked out if you leave or are fired..

HOLA4425