House Price Crash Forum

Flight From Euro Underway On Downgrades

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7964328/Fresh-flight-to-Swiss-franc-as-Europes-bond-strains-return.html

Fresh flight to Swiss franc as Europe's bond strains return
The Swiss franc has surged to an all-time high against the euro on capital flight from the eurozone after Irish, Greek, and Portuguese bonds came under renewed fire.
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Published: 5:25PM BST 25 Aug 2010
5,267,423 Comments
The Swiss National Bank appears to have abandoned efforts to halt the appreciation of the Swiss franc. Photo: Getty Yields on 10-year Swiss bonds fell to 1.02pc as investors flocked into the ultimate safe-haven asset, now outperforming gold.
No country in the developed world apart form Japan has ever seen 10-year yields drop below 1pc
. Rates remained significantly higher during the two great depressions of the 1870s and the 1930s.

Its been a bit boring lately so a good old shakeup was overdue. The stress test fiasco obviously did not good at all in restoring confidence.

Euro's anyone? No thanks.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Morgan Stanley said investors are taking a risk buying sovereign bonds at this level, arguing that debt-to-GDP ratios in the developed world greatly understate the true liabilities and aging costs that threat public finances. "It’s not whether governments will default, but how, and vis-a-vis whom," said Arnaud Mares in a client report.

So, what are people going to consider holding more of when they start defaulting admitting they are defaulting (via the printing press)? I suppose the Euro countries don't even have that choice, so hair cuts all round?

Edited by Traktion

HOLA443
HOLA444

Why do you constantly bang this drum of deflation?

Bread could be £10000 and you'd say deflation. We have inflation.

bread isnt 10,000, if anything its cheaper than last year by a few coppers.

And thats WITH energy bills and council taxes, and VAT UP.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

definitions ken,definitions.we have rising prices but the broader money supply is deflating.

The problem is broad money is an accounting trick (fraud), therefore all you are destroying is imaginary money which never existed in the first place.

The problem is more and more promises are being made and more and more promises cannot be fulfilled therefore requiring this to be made good (i.e. printers) which is uber inflationary.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

bread isnt 10,000, if anything its cheaper than last year by a few coppers.

And thats WITH energy bills and council taxes, and VAT UP.

hmm, no cheaper for me, but granted, different shops / brands, etc. so we are both possibly correct

i wonder how long until the wheat price rises come into effect though?

HOLA4413

The problem is broad money is an accounting trick (fraud), therefore all you are destroying is imaginary money which never existed in the first place.

The problem is more and more promises are being made and more and more promises cannot be fulfilled therefore requiring this to be made good (i.e. printers) which is uber inflationary.

Now I understand why you can't find a job in your chosen profession.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I believe it's still rising...?

...and of course the actual breakdown of holdings is completely hidden by the headline figure.

Afaik the indexes, money supply and broad money are all still rising.

Our deflationista friends like to point to a fall in the rate of growth though. Either they are very poor thinkers or are relying on poor thinking in enough of their audience or something.

After all, if people don't expect inflation you can put add two squillion quid to the economy and nothing will alter. :rolleyes:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Afaik the indexes, money supply and broad money are all still rising.

Our deflationista friends like to point to a fall in the rate of growth though. Either they are very poor thinkers or are relying on poor thinking in enough of their audience or something.

After all, if people don't expect inflation you can put add two squillion quid to the economy and nothing will alter. :rolleyes:

http://www.wolfbane.com/rpi.htm

I like facts too. If you think the index is fiddled, please state why. I'll assume you've read all the documentation concerning how it's compiled, freely available from the BoE website.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Being a bad accountant is a barrier to being an accountant.

Why don't you run it through a DR and CR T account?

Run it through a collateralised loan and you'll notice it doesn't balance from the point of view of the bank. Unless you double count something. This is the big kicker and the fraud and the trick.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

HOLA4425

Oh okay, one index isn't showing rises.

No problem with that.

As for it being a fiddle, the idea of the index itself is the fiddle.

Agreed. If less people spend their money, the price indexes will tend to go down. If more people spend their money, the price indexes will tend to go up. They are as much about people's attitudes to spending and borrowing money (confidence and supply/demand for goods) than anything else.

That's not to say the indexes aren't useful for gauging the state of the economy, but they're not a measure of base money inflation or of credit inflation as such. They're a decent short term measure of the propensity to spend, I suppose.

IMO, this is one of the reasons why people point at the indexes and go 'where is the inflation then?' - it is waiting in the wings, for when sentiment changes, which could be either more confidence or panic (baked beans and tin foil prices may then rocket! ;) ).

Edited by Traktion