House Price Crash Forum

Daily Mail Editors Comment - Against The C.g.t Hike

HOLA441

The Editor of the Daily Mail has written a Comment piece against the CGT hike. It would be good to see lots of Readers Comments in favour of the CGT hike for BTL properties and perhaps protesting that the DM Editor is ignoring the views and needs of the majority of DM readers and indeed the wider population of the UK.

To save time you might want to copy and paste (possibly slightly altered) a Readers Comment you have posted on one of the other articles.

The article can be found here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1283876/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Why-Cable-lose-capital-gains-tax.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The Editor of the Daily Mail has written a Comment piece against the CGT hike. It would be good to see lots of Readers Comments in favour of the CGT hike for BTL properties and perhaps protesting that the DM Editor is ignoring the views and needs of the majority of DM readers and indeed the wider population of the UK.

To save time you might want to copy and paste (possibly slightly altered) a Readers Comment you have posted on one of the other articles.

The article can be found here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1283876/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Why-Cable-lose-capital-gains-tax.html

They say they are "filtering comments" so there may be alittle bit of fiddling done to ensure the right thing is published.

HOLA445

They say they are "filtering comments" so there may be alittle bit of fiddling done to ensure the right thing is published.

Yes, they quite often do this for the 1st hour or so of the article being put up on the web and then change it to 'These Comments Have Not Been Moderated'. Hopefully they will change it to a free for all of posting Readers Comments but they may be sensitive due to it being the Editors Comment.

HOLA446

Yes, they quite often do this for the 1st hour or so of the article being put up on the web and then change it to 'These Comments Have Not Been Moderated'. Hopefully they will change it to a free for all of posting Readers Comments but they may be sensitive due to it being the Editors Comment.

Not hopeful my post will be published but did my bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you will find it is you and not Vince cable who is wrong headed.

Capital gains tax is only being put back to where it was before Labour changed it. There is an argument for tapering the tax to encourage longer term investment than term speculation.

The argument being rolled out thick and fast by the very large and pervasive group of vested interests in the housing market gravy train is that it would halt the recovery of the housing market. It is insane to suggest the housing market is currently nearing recovery. We have 40% more falls in price relative to earnings before we can even contemplate discussing a recovery.

The last 2 years has seen massive support to the housing market from the tax payers in the form of paying peoples mortgages and bailing out the banks so they did not need to repossess to reclaim delinquent capital. Anyone selling a property in profit now will be doing so because of tax payer support, 40% of those profits seems a very fair price to me.

HOLA447

When they finally open up the comments, there's going to be a bit of a flood, isn't there ;)

C'mon Daily Mail.

When are you going to stop flogging this dead horse?

HOW MANY articles is this, just in this week alone, where you've peddled this line on CGT?

And in HOW many of those articles have you been ridiculed by your readership as being WAY out of touch with the real thoughts of real people in this country?

What's your vested interest - please declare it now in a spirit of open and honest journalism.

And start listening to your readers, before we start reading something else!!

B

Green arrows at the ready for all the others.... !!

B

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capital gains tax is only being put back to where it was before Labour changed it. There is an argument for tapering the tax to encourage longer term investment than term speculation.

The argument being rolled out thick and fast by the very large and pervasive group of vested interests in the housing market gravy train is that it would halt the recovery of the housing market. It is insane to suggest the housing market is currently nearing recovery. We have 40% more falls in price relative to earnings before we can even contemplate discussing a recovery.

The last 2 years has seen massive support to the housing market from the tax payers in the form of paying peoples mortgages and bailing out the banks so they did not need to repossess to reclaim delinquent capital. Anyone selling a property in profit now will be doing so because of tax payer support, 40% of those profits seems a very fair price to me.

I completely agree. The DM and some MP's have been very vocal quite beyond their real support in the country. I have instead emailed Mr Cable, Mr Osborne & Mr Cameron, to point out that these views in the DM and espoused by a view rightward cons MP's are actually not representative, even of the BTL world who mostly bought pre 2007 anyway when the old CGT rules applied.

Suggest you all do the same. Emails can be found on google search.

HOLA4412

God the Mail is a hateful rag. They have a property feature now on that guy in Cumbria and his brother.

He's rumoured to have had money problems.

My God, imagine if he was in trouble with BTL, and that kicked all this off :ph34r:

Maybe THAT would finally persuade the sheeple that there was something wrong with the whole "model" - people's ACTUAL lives being thrown away, because of the failed greed of some b@st@rd speculator.

Frankly nothing would surprise me any more. What a sick, sick, sick nation we live in... :(

B

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Prime beneficiaries were those second home ownning parasites who were just about to be deselected from parliament.

HOLA4415

FWIW - and please someone tell me if I'm wrong here....

Having gone through and done all my Green and Red ticks this afternoon, I did my normal Norton clean-up, and cleared out all my cookies etc.

When I went back later to the DM site, not only had a I got all the arrows back, but it looked like my votes had all disappeared as well (there were a couple of comments in the mid-range, that for some reason my brain remembered the vote numbers.)

So I tested it for real; vote - come out of site - clear cookies - go back in; and I'm pretty sure that all my votes really had been removed, when I cleared the cookies out.

Is this technically possible? Does it mean that my voting is a waste of time, if I then subsequently have to go and clear out my cookies and lose everything? I can't afford to do that, as we use a lot of web-based systems for work, and if I don't clear down every 48 hours or so my laptop seizes up.

Maybe someone more technically-literate can help me out here?!

Thanks

B

HOLA4416

FWIW - and please someone tell me if I'm wrong here....

Having gone through and done all my Green and Red ticks this afternoon, I did my normal Norton clean-up, and cleared out all my cookies etc.

When I went back later to the DM site, not only had a I got all the arrows back, but it looked like my votes had all disappeared as well (there were a couple of comments in the mid-range, that for some reason my brain remembered the vote numbers.)

So I tested it for real; vote - come out of site - clear cookies - go back in; and I'm pretty sure that all my votes really had been removed, when I cleared the cookies out.

Is this technically possible? Does it mean that my voting is a waste of time, if I then subsequently have to go and clear out my cookies and lose everything? I can't afford to do that, as we use a lot of web-based systems for work, and if I don't clear down every 48 hours or so my laptop seizes up.

Maybe someone more technically-literate can help me out here?!

Thanks

B

No, it does not work like that - it simply means others are adding and subtracting from each vote all the time.

If you open several different browsers - for example, firefox, chrome and IE you will grt 3 chances to vote as the DM sees each browser differently... but if you vote, for example, using firefox and then go to chrome and IE, refresh the article page you will see that, in that time, others have vote positively or negatively.

You are not paranoid... just heading that way ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

No, it does not work like that - it simply means others are adding and subtracting from each vote all the time.

If you open several different browsers - for example, firefox, chrome and IE you will grt 3 chances to vote as the DM sees each browser differently... but if you vote, for example, using firefox and then go to chrome and IE, refresh the article page you will see that, in that time, others have vote positively or negatively.

You are not paranoid... just heading that way ;)

I thought that originally, hence I went back and checked by doing an immediate vote - clear - refresh on an obscure comment in the middle. That's when it happened. And it was consistent every time - unless some BTL'er is stalking me and immediately everything I do (now that WOULD be paranoia, you're correct!!)

I don't think I'm getting paranoid, but I did just want to save some people the time of multiple-voting, if they were wasting their time.

But, multiple browser-types you say? Hmmmm :ph34r::lol:

B

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Nice job Mark - you got through the moderators.

So did I.

And so did just about every other "good-for-nothing," "benefit-draining," "sit-on-our-ar$es, waiting for kind-hardworking-boomers to put-a-rented-roof-over-our-heads," "lazy chav layabout" on HPC.

At least if you believe what some of the smarmy, hubristic, self-righteous f**kers are saying on the comments to some other MSM articles. Don't read the comments on the "Worst-rated" tabs, BTW, unless you want to have a Cumbrian-sized rush of blood to the head, and get VERY angry.

Still, they've opened the gate on the comments now, and so far my little prediction is looking good. Nearly all of the first fourteen released are pro-CGT increase.

When WILL they get the message.

B

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425