House Price Crash Forum

Sandwich Shop Indicator

the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA441

Just went to my local sandwich shop in Chiswick. Been going there for 5 years - very good quality and cheap (prices unchanged for all that time) Asked how business was.

"Really bad. No-one has any money. They come in and tell us. You see on the news everything is fine, but no-one has any money!"

Different to previous Januaries? "Completely different. Night and day".

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA442

Just went to my local sandwich shop in Chiswick. Been going there for 5 years - very good quality and cheap (prices unchanged for all that time) Asked how business was.

"Really bad. No-one has any money. They come in and tell us. You see on the news everything is fine, but no-one has any money!"

Was he picking his nose whilst answering you?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Do you think people are wakening up to the fact that they can make their own (usually better and healthier) sandwiches for a fraction of the cost?

HOLA445

Do you think people are wakening up to the fact that they can make their own (usually better and healthier) sandwiches for a fraction of the cost?

You seen most people's sandwiches? Healthier is not the word I would use - complete lack of any sort of salad usually, with older meat or huge slabs of cheese.

If you make sandwiches with decent quality fillings (not this wafer-thin ham shit) then they turn out quite expensive, not much cheaper than the shops. Yes, the shops use crappier fillings but it's far less obvious to the customer.

HOLA446

You seen most people's sandwiches? Healthier is not the word I would use - complete lack of any sort of salad usually, with older meat or huge slabs of cheese.

If you make sandwiches with decent quality fillings (not this wafer-thin ham shit) then they turn out quite expensive, not much cheaper than the shops. Yes, the shops use crappier fillings but it's far less obvious to the customer.

These ones are nice (and cheap). Tis why I go there. Don't forget the cost of labour/time in making a decent sarnie. I'd pay someone to cook me a nice dinner if it was 3 quid and I only had to go around the corner to pick it up!

HOLA447

I've always found the notion of bought sandwiches a bizaare one. Sandwiches were traditionaly a way of using up produce leftover from meat joints throughout the week. The mass production and commoditization of items which represent a thrifty attitude to using up stock strikes me as strange. we're so lazy it's unbelievable.

The above premise is one which if I were an ET being, looking down upon the earth, I would think "These f*ckers are bonkers"

HOLA448

I've always found the notion of bought sandwiches a bizaare one. Sandwiches were traditionaly a way of using up produce leftover from meat joints throughout the week. The mass production and commoditization of items which represent a thrifty attitude to using up stock strikes me as strange. we're so lazy it's unbelievable.

The above premise is one which if I were an ET being, looking down upon the earth, I would think "These f*ckers are bonkers"

Good point! What IS the English obsession with sandwiches? Day after day, thousands of people trudge half a mile to their local Tesco to pick up a freezing cold sandwich, then trudge back to their desk's to consume the icy delicacy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Time is money. I also don't have the economies of scale a sandwich shop has.

Sure if I want a slice of ham in between two bits of bread then it's cheaper, but I get much better sarnies than that.

My Dad went to a do at a palace once and a plate of sandwiches came round. He picked one up and was pleasantly surprised by the flavour. It wasn't something he recognised but it was very nice. Anyway, later on the Duke came round and asked if everything was ok, and my Dad said ' yes, thank you. I do have a question though, what's in the sandwiches, I don't think I've had it before.'

'Swan.' replied the Duke.

HOLA4414

My Dad went to a do at a palace once and a plate of sandwiches came round. He picked one up and was pleasantly surprised by the flavour. It wasn't something he recognised but it was very nice. Anyway, later on the Duke came round and asked if everything was ok, and my Dad said ' yes, thank you. I do have a question though, what's in the sandwiches, I don't think I've had it before.'

Lol, Swan sandwiches....... he'll be ruined for turkey roll forever.

Thats how you know when you've made it. "Swan" replied the Duke.

Have it ! Poor boy made good.

Yours,

TGP

HOLA4415

Great story.

Reminded me of a conversation with an old man by the canal, as we were feeding swans with my child. He told a war-time story when soldiers stayed in the area (up North), and were so hungry that they risked and broke the law by catching a swan with intention to eat it. But no matter how long they cooked it, it was so tough they had to throw it away.

Duke's cook surely knew an old-time royal recipe.

HOLA4416

So now people are going into sandwich shops, not to buy sandwiches, but to tell the staff that they don't have any money. How strange.

It's also strange that people don't have any money. Nearly everyone I know is much better off at the moment. In my case my mortgage payments have dropped from about £1200 to £700 and my property is above peak value of 2007. Most of the people I know have mortgages and they are all paying less, so are quids in. None have lost their jobs.

The reason you lot probably don't have money is because you're still wasting your money on rent.

My mortgage is £700/month. To rent my place would be £2,000/month. That's the real difference between renting and buying.

HOLA4417

So now people are going into sandwich shops, not to buy sandwiches, but to tell the staff that they don't have any money. How strange.

It's also strange that people don't have any money. Nearly everyone I know is much better off at the moment. In my case my mortgage payments have dropped from about £1200 to £700 and my property is above peak value of 2007. Most of the people I know have mortgages and they are all paying less, so are quids in. None have lost their jobs.

The reason you lot probably don't have money is because you're still wasting your money on rent.

My mortgage is £700/month. To rent my place would be £2,000/month. That's the real difference between renting and buying.

Strange that someone would hijack a thread about sandwiches to post triumphant nonsense about how small their mortgage is.

Who invited the braying ****?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

lol, what a tw@t. :P

HOLA4420

<snip>

For the comparison to be valid, your mortgage would have to equal the value of your property.

Edited by Warwick

HOLA4421

Spot on Steve. I'm rushing off now to buy soemwhere before the prices drop any further.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Great story.

Reminded me of a conversation with an old man by the canal, as we were feeding swans with my child. He told a war-time story when soldiers stayed in the area (up North), and were so hungry that they risked and broke the law by catching a swan with intention to eat it. But no matter how long they cooked it, it was so tough they had to throw it away.

Duke's cook surely knew an old-time royal recipe.

Old swan! It has to be less than a year old or it not much better than shoe leather. I have a friend who insists that squirrel makes the best sandwiches but I haven't tried it yet. Squirrels are all a bit skinny this time of year. Anyone else tried it?

HOLA4423

Old swan! It has to be less than a year old or it not much better than shoe leather. I have a friend who insists that squirrel makes the best sandwiches but I haven't tried it yet. Squirrels are all a bit skinny this time of year. Anyone else tried it?

No, but I have the perfect sandwich recipe for the DIY sandwich doubters:

NIce bread

houmous - spread not too thick

1 carrot, peeled, and cut into oblong pieces (they keep their crunch better)

japapeno pepper slices to taste (from jar in brine, etc)

sunflower seeds

There are other ways of modding this, like adding a bit of grated chees, a slug of worcestershire sauce, a bit of salad or a tomato.

I nicked this idea from a sandwich shop.

HOLA4424

No, but I have the perfect sandwich recipe for the DIY sandwich doubters:

NIce bread

houmous - spread not too thick

1 carrot, peeled, and cut into oblong pieces (they keep their crunch better)

japapeno pepper slices to taste (from jar in brine, etc)

sunflower seeds

There are other ways of modding this, like adding a bit of grated chees, a slug of worcestershire sauce, a bit of salad or a tomato.

I nicked this idea from a sandwich shop.

Nice bread? Was!

Your sandwich sounds very yuppie. In all good conscience I couldn't be seen eating it with my friends. Humus? That's Arab ain't it? Terrorist food! Sunflower seeds is parrot food, though we do feed 'em to the wild birds and they do like 'em. Puts feathers on their chest I guess but they ain't people food. Carrots that ain't boiled! You tryin to kill me? Good fer rabbits. You some kinda vegitariarian? Jalapeno peppers: well at least you got something right. I think your sandwich would be much better without all that other junk and just good bread and jalapeno peppers but ya gotta have meat. As a Black Country miner said to me once when my Mom had made me something like your sandwich, "Ain't yo got no Mate?" And I hadn't and I told my Mom and I never had a sandwich again with no meat. I'm not about to change a life of good living, so sorry your sandwich just don't cut the mustard.

Now back to squirrels, we are going to try it but anybody got any tips?