House Price Crash Forum

Interset Rates To 6.5%

RDW

HOLA441

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23802401-interest-rates-will-surge-to-65-percent-by-2015-barclays-says.do

Interest rates will surge to 6.5%

Interest rates will soar over the next five years despite feeble economic growth and rising unemployment, leading economists warned today.

A report by Barclays said rates will rise to 3.5% by the time of the London Olympics in 2012 and to 6.5% in 2015 to keep inflation under control.

HOLA442

5 years to get to 6.5%. If we get enough inflation, it'll be a lot quicker than that.

Personally, I think raising them as high as 4% will cripple so many people that they won't go much higher than that for a decade.

Edited by deflation

HOLA443
HOLA444

5 years to get to 6.5%. If we get enough inflation, it'll be a lot quicker than that.

Wonder what the vested interest here is. Have barclays gone short on treasuries or something?

Think I'll take my chances.

I can stomach paying more if interest rates rise alot. I couldn't stomach fixing on a stupid rate and seeing rates stay low for a long time.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Bring it on.

My £420k (invested away from UK's paper £) will get me the house I want. Currently renting it for a 2.1% yeild.

I'll continue to rent on the cheap and funnel my savings away to where they give a return.

I'm thinking 10/10 or 11/10 for a real time to move. We're heading for an austerity budget.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Hello Charlie, can you remind me what the average IR's are historically ?

I recall 9% from 1950-70s & 8% from 70s to 2000 or similar.

history is the past. Average IRs are irrelevant. If they were relevant in the slightest 0.5% interest rates would be impossible.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

"Surge to 3.5%...surge to 6.5%" - hardly a surge, 6.5% is still low by historic standards. In previous decades anything under 8 or 9% was good. 15% wasn't it at one point not so long ago? I admire the sweet innocence, pure as a new snowflake, of those borrowers who think interest rates of 3% are too high for any government to inflict on them! Good luck with that one, chumps!

Edit: sorry was it expert Rog on Radio 4 today that's reassured you rates will be low for eons to come, LOL, oh well if Rog says so...

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA4414

Imo Barclay's is trying to scare people into the 5 year locked mortgages. Why sell people mortgages at variable 2.5%, when you can get them into 5% mortgages for the same thing?

I'd be shocked if rates were above 1% in 2015. There is just no one to lend to, so no demand on money. Who can take on more debt right now, and which section of the economy looks like its going to expand on heavy borrowing?

HOLA4415

Quote:

"They should be higher than the post-war average, given the expansion of the money supply."

Don't forget the introduction of MIRAS reduced the mortgage costs for everybody. From it's implementation in 1969 until it was phased out in the 1990s. It went completely in 2000.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Wonder what the vested interest here is. Have barclays gone short on treasuries or something?

Think I'll take my chances.

I can stomach paying more if interest rates rise alot. I couldn't stomach fixing on a stupid rate and seeing rates stay low for a long time.

It's not your ability to pay that you have to worry about, it's the people who lose their jobs ( due to their businesses being unable to service their debts at the new higher interest rates) who can't pay their rapidly rising tracker mortgage and live in a similar property to your own in your area. These are the people you have to worry about ( and yet have absolutely no control over) Prices are always set on the margins. Negative equity is a killer. I'm guessing 40% down by Q1 2013. :D

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest absolutezero

This topic made me laugh.

No-one can predict the future.

"6.5% by 2015 No! 2012?" etc.

Hogwash.

The rates might be higher by then. Yes, you can make a punt on the general pattern but specifics are impossible to predict.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23802401-interest-rates-will-surge-to-65-percent-by-2015-barclays-says.do

Interest rates will surge to 6.5%

Interest rates will soar over the next five years despite feeble economic growth and rising unemployment, leading economists warned today.

A report by Barclays said rates will rise to 3.5% by the time of the London Olympics in 2012 and to 6.5% in 2015 to keep inflation under control.

they havent got a clue

HOLA4425