20% Rise In Gentlefolk Who Can No Longer Afford Water

Realistbear

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8278828.stm

Page last updated at 12:55 GMT, Monday, 28 September 2009 13:55 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

More seek help with water bills

Water bills are expected to change slightly in the coming years

The number of vulnerable people seeking help to pay their water bills in England has risen 20% in the past year, figures from the regulator Ofwat show.

When ordinary folk can't afford water things have become serious in miracleland. What a horrible legacy Brown has created for himself. Nightmarish bordering on the ghoulish.

HOLA442

Listerning to Darling At dinner time, in between fake " I can't hear you" with the BBC i heared him say that he keep pumping money as fast as ever, not just scrap car thing but also "Surrport to bussiness"................In other words they have NO intention of scaling back.

Mike

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Can you ask for your water to be turned of ,so you have no liabilty for bill? and if you do not pay what can they do?

For non-payment they can take you to court, get a CCJ and if you don't pay that put a charge on your house / benefits / earnings. They can disconnect your supply too (providing you don't have children at the house < 5 years old).

There is also the point of wastage / drainage as pointed out by the poster above. I remember trying to get people to pay huge debts to Thames Water for drainage that many thought were irrelevant as they paid for their water already .. but to another firm (which didn't include drainage to Thames Water).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
I`ve just paid my water bill, what a bargain at £60 for three months. "Vulnerable" is BBC code for scum.

My LL pays my water bill.

:)

HOLA449
I`ve just paid my water bill, what a bargain at £60 for three months. "Vulnerable" is BBC code for scum.

I'm inclined to agree, but will view any evidence to the contrary with an open mind.

How many of these people that can't afford water after they've paid the Sky TV package, loan on the home cinema system, beer and fag money, and myriad other things they think they need... and how many really can't afford it?

HOLA4410
Guest P-Diddly

This is where it is cheaper. Just had electric bill in, £14 for last month. Water bill £1. Gas running at £1.28 a month. Sewerage about £3 a month (vac tanker).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8278828.stm

Page last updated at 12:55 GMT, Monday, 28 September 2009 13:55 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

More seek help with water bills

Water bills are expected to change slightly in the coming years

The number of vulnerable people seeking help to pay their water bills in England has risen 20% in the past year, figures from the regulator Ofwat show.

When ordinary folk can't afford water things have become serious in miracleland. What a horrible legacy Brown has created for himself. Nightmarish bordering on the ghoulish.

I am not going to apologise for Brown, but to pretend he is responsible for this verges on the preposterous. Don't you sense any thatcherite ideology at play here or do your political beliefs totally blind your judgement.

HOLA4413
I am not going to apologise for Brown, but to pretend he is responsible for this verges on the preposterous. Don't you sense any thatcherite ideology at play here or do your political beliefs totally blind your judgement.

Blair and Brown kept Thatcherite ideology on for the last 12 years.

If they didn't like it, surely part of running the country is clearing up thee mistakes of the last lot?

Yes, you can blame Labour for this.

HOLA4414
Yes, you can blame Labour for this.

Yes, you can be hopelessly one-sided and partial to the point of misinforming, or you can put things in some kind of perspective.

Let us not forget what kind of ideology leads to such disgraceful situations.

Edited by williamdb

HOLA4415
Yes, you can be hopelessly one-sided and partial to the point of misinforming, or you can put things in some kind of perspective.

Let us not forget what kind of ideology leads to such disgraceful situations.

Err did you actually read my post?

Yes, it is Thatcher's ideology.

Yes, you can blame Labour, they should have abandoned that ideology 12 years ago. They didn't. They embraced it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

If you study the modern day habits, a lot of people actually have their washing machine on up to 3-4x a day. Unbelievable.

I had a water meter fitted in June 08 and have so far used under 35 units. The standing charge costs me about the same amount as the water, which is annoying as it means there's a limit to how low your bill can go.

HOLA4419

My shops all just have kettles and sinks. The water consumption is massively less than an average household, even the larger branches.

Most branches are metered and bills vary wildly from £9/qtr to £400/qtr, even from the same water company. Water bills are far from an exact science. They're mostly just a buch of shysters who don't really care if customers are being overcharged and will just threaten to cut supply if you complain.

I've got someone whose full-time job is dealing with utility companies. Privatising them was an inasane Tory policy as there was no competion, the state merely created a private sector monopolies. If you don't like your water company it's not like you can change to another. There's still reasonably intelligent people in the Tory party now, like John Redwood, who given the opportunity would privatise everything that wasn't nailed down.

HOLA4420
My water costs a bloody fortune. I estimated that I'd be paying about 20 quid less a month with a water meter, but my landlord refuses to let me have one installed. :angry:

I was on a fixed charge and called them in to see about fitting a meter as my neighbour tried and they said she couldn't have one, but they then did a bill based on usage - she had to answer questions about her lifestyle and it produced a lower fixed amount. Original amount was £40/month, hers was £26/month. In the event, the man did turn up and fitted a meter to my pipe right under the sink (great as I can see it). I think my bill's about £15ish/month (not really looked lately), but it is significantly cheaper than the Rateable Value or the Lifestyle calculated version.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Err did you actually read my post?

Yes, it is Thatcher's ideology.

Yes, you can blame Labour, they should have abandoned that ideology 12 years ago. They didn't. They embraced it.

Sorry, I didn't mean you as in you personally. I was referring to the hopelessly one-sided and misleading political statement RB was making.

<Edit to add: the problem nowadays is that any talk of re-nationalisation or state control are associated with communism. The likes of RB make sure these kind of lies are maintained. Added to that, the money received from privatisation has already been spent, by the tories, to finance the city's big bang no doubt.

>

Edited by williamdb

HOLA4424

Here's some more information on the result of conservative policies the world over, pushing for privatisations:

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/pub...download?id=pdf

or in other words, "How to line the pockets of your friends by giving them private monopolies at the expense of your citizens, preferably the poor ones."

For those that might be interested in our future, and present.

HOLA4425