HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Schools Secretary Ed Balls became the first minister to provide details of how he intends to make inroads into Britain's record deficit, telling the Sunday Times he would target management jobs and teachers' pay.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58I1BZ20090919

I'm sure teachers won't mind paying the state employed banksters their bonuses out of their pay packets. I expect their unions have already rubber stamped that one. Soon is the decade of our discontent.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Balls is a tosser.

My partner works in education and I can tell you that it is woefully underfunded: class sizes are too big, there aren't enough resources, there aren't enough support staff to help those kids who require one-on-one behavioural or educational support. My partner's school has this year put a limit on how much photcopying of worksheets the staff can do each term - in order to cut costs.

I will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong with the education system in this country: they are always changing it.

Every year the government, whether it's Labour or Tory, introduce a new, and supposedly improved, curriculum, which means more printing of documents, new sets of textbooks for all the kids, expensive training courses for teachers in posh hotels so that they know what they're doing. Local councils create 'non-jobs', usually advertised in the Times Educational Supplement or The Guardian, usually offering a salary of around 50K-plus a year (along with other perks - namely, pensions and expenses), for consultants to help impement for inevitable annual changes to the education system.

The solution: they need to "cut wastage" by not making changes to the way our children are educated year after year, and the money saved needs to be invested BACK into the education system to produce more teachers, smaller class sizes, etc.

But, of course, our politcians, who only step inside a school when it's election time and the cameras are out, think they know best. Tossers.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Balls is a tosser.

My partner works in education and I can tell you that it is woefully underfunded: class sizes are too big, there aren't enough resources, there aren't enough support staff to help those kids who require one-on-one behavioural or educational support. My partner's school has this year put a limit on how much photcopying of worksheets the staff can do each term - in order to cut costs.

I will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong with the education system in this country: they are always changing it.

Every year the government, whether it's Labour or Tory, introduce a new, and supposedly improved, curriculum, which means more printing of documents, new sets of textbooks for all the kids, expensive training courses for teachers in posh hotels so that they know what they're doing. Local councils create 'non-jobs', usually advertised in the Times Educational Supplement or The Guardian, usually offering a salary of around 50K-plus a year (along with other perks - namely, pensions and expenses), for consultants to help impement for inevitable annual changes to the education system.

The solution: they need to "cut wastage" by not making changes to the way our children are educated year after year, and the money saved needs to be invested BACK into the education system to produce more teachers, smaller class sizes, etc.

But, of course, our politcians, who only step inside a school when it's election time and the cameras are out, think they know best. Tossers.

Because change can mascarade as progress. This is the problem also in the health field. Jobs for management so often specify something along the lines of " must have a proven track record of innovation /implementing change " Its as though stability is a bad thing. Could it be that stability would threaten the jobs of so many of the higher tiers who like to get busy implementing "change." This is all bad for the staff who are at the frontline, always under pressure to deliver more, deliver better, but always distracted from the task by the next great idea and accompanying protocols policy and paperwork, not to mention the new jargon that always appears every time every thing goes "new" and "better" or should I say "more accountability targeting a proactive customer focus to deliver increased choices".

Or should I say "a whole new way to make working lives a worse experience for no real point."

I wish I remembered verbatum the Petronious Arbitrer quote, he has the same gripe about beurocracy, but about 2000 years ago.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58I1BZ20090919

I'm sure teachers won't mind paying the state employed banksters their bonuses out of their pay packets. I expect their unions have already rubber stamped that one. Soon is the decade of our discontent.

There will also be a plethora of untrained people in the classroom on a low wage. Children will be "educated" by ill-educated people.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
There will also be a plethora of untrained people in the classroom on a low wage. Children will be "educated" by ill-educated people.

Exactly so.

Teachers being replaced by classroom assistants.

Police being replaced by community support.

Junior doctor role being encroached by nurses

Nursing role being filled with NVQ.

As a learning disabilities nurse in the Bristol area I can tell you that all L.D. nursing homes in Bristol and N. Somerset are being redesignated "care homes" and all the nurse posts being replaced by NVQ ers. I think it stands for NOT VERY QUALIFIED.

HOLA4420
I wish I remembered verbatum the Petronious Arbitrer quote, he has the same gripe about beurocracy, but about 2000 years ago.

This one?...

We trained hard, but it seemed that everytime we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.

HOLA4421
Guest absolutezero
Balls is a tosser.

You've hit the nail on the head there.

One thing he's right on thought is that we need less management.

When I started teaching 10 years ago, we had a headteacher and two deputies.

We now have a headteacher, two deputies and four assistant headteachers. No-one seems to understand what two of the assistants do....