HOLA441
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Thanks.

Too contrived and for my taste, far too much fuzz overlaid with pure overdrive (Distortion).

Now the following is guitar experitise!

There are many axe players on this site and most would agree that Kopfler's finger style is very hard to achieve.

Competently.

Hard to realise that the original piece is now some 30 years old............

Quite. I hear next doors kid practicising a lot - he's just finished a music degree, and he never seems to play anything beyond the technical level that any self respecting teenage lad with a guitar would expect to have achieved 30+ years ago. Maybe I'm a grump old git or maybe I'm missing the bits when he turns off the fuzz, tones down the distortion and shows virtuosity.... But I'm home all day, most days...

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Skinty
Seriously missus, that sounds like hell.

Probably is as an adult now that I come to think about it. I only went to one as a child.

But this is a symptom of something more fundamental that is missing, any sense of community. Now it's just people living in their own little slave boxes and not even knowing who their neighbours are.

HOLA447

Is anyone here old enough to remember the water ices in a triangular cardboard packaging which used to be sold by men on a bicycle with a big icebox in the front. I think they probably cost an old penny. I used to buy one on the way home from Barham School. They never reappeared after the war.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Probably is as an adult now that I come to think about it. I only went to one as a child.

But this is a symptom of something more fundamental that is missing, any sense of community. Now it's just people living in their own little slave boxes and not even knowing who their neighbours are.

Do you think people only did that when we were young because they didn't have means / transport to get away from the neighbours?

HOLA4412
Guest Skinty
Do you think people only did that when we were young because they didn't have means / transport to get away from the neighbours?

Not 30 years ago.

Of course it also depends on who your neighbours are.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

1. Considering a ride out in a car as a treat.

2. Quiet streets on a Sunday.

3....and closed shops on a Sunday.

4. Kids looking forward to seeing what Christmas annual they've got this year.

5. British seaside holidays.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Playing Jacks in the playground.

Taking photos of trains without being arrested :lol:

Going right up to the ferry to wave people off... yes there was a time you could go on the pier as the ferry left. Security paranoia wasn't an issue.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Skinty
What was it, VE day or something?

Prince Charles and Diana's wedding.

Oooh which reminds me of something I have to post on another thread ...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Skinty
You have to be joking. It was nauseating.

Vive la republique!

Oh I hate the royals myself. My parents and grandparents have always hated them as well. But I do have fond memories of the street party. In fact my whole time living there where everyone knew each other and we'd go out and play with the other kids in the street,

HOLA4422
Oh I hate the royals myself. My parents and grandparents have always hated them as well. But I do have fond memories of the street party. In fact my whole time living there where everyone knew each other and we'd go out and play with the other kids in the street,

Fair dos, you are fully entitled to fond memories of a street party and days of yore when community spirit abounded and you could feel safe outdoors.

Do you get as irritated as I do by Prince Andrew self-importantly wasting countless thousands of pounds every year on superfluous flights and lifestyle? Mummy needs to cut his allowance.

edit sp

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Skinty
Do you get as irritated as I do by Prince Andrew self-importantly wasting countless thousands of pounds every year on superfluous flights and lifestyle? Mummy needs to cut his allowance.

I try not to think of the Royal family if I can help it. In the same way that I try to minimise my exposure to images of celebrities or Labour politicians ...

Archived