winkie

HOLA441
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Playing Jacks in the playground.

Taking photos of trains without being arrested :lol:

Going right up to the ferry to wave people off... yes there was a time you could go on the pier as the ferry left. Security paranoia wasn't an issue.

I actually steered a passenger plane FULL when I was 10. I got invited into the cockpit and he let me nudge the stick forwards and backwards left and right. Only a tiny bit of course and I had his head phones on and could here ATC.

It was fantastic and what a way to start a holliday too :)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Skinty
I miss those roller skates that you tied on over your shoes. Roller blades just aren't the same.

I've never used roller blades. Always meant to though. I had those roller skates myself. I used to throw myself down a very large and steep hill dodging by all the tired commuters struggling up after a long day at the office.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest absolutezero

Proper schooling where lessons didn't involve 'starters', 'plenaries' and 'pupil centred active learning activities'.

HOLA448
Guest Skinty
Proper schooling where lessons didn't involve 'starters', 'plenaries' and 'pupil centred active learning activities'.

So what are 'starters', 'plenaries' and 'pupil centered active learning activities' ?

HOLA449

Just remembered...May days and may poles with ribbons, oh how I loved that....building camps, and swings over the brook, harvest festivals and collecting tins of food to give to the old folk, penny for the guy...most of all I miss singing the uplifting hymns that I have never forgotten. ;)

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero
So what are 'starters', 'plenaries' and 'pupil centered active learning activities' ?

It's a highly contrived lesson structure that teachers have to comply with, otherwise you're a shite teacher.

There's no evidence to show this works at all.

You have to come up with some activity at the beginning that 'engages' the kids. Could be a game of bingo emphasising the main point of the last lesson.

You shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes talking to them (IE teaching them) then get them to do some activity involving 'personal learning and thinking skills' about what you've just 'taught' them. Usually something involving arranging cards or gluing bits of paper into their books.

Then at the end give them another activity to sum up what you've just taught them.

:rolleyes:

Just out of interest. A colleague in my department was rated 'satisfactory' in our internal quality control audit.

The management don't like the way he teaches. He's old fashioned and actually teaches and asks them questions.

Other members of the dept get the kids to cut up bits of card and arrange them in the right order, or shade in the boxes that they agree with etc, and they're rated 'outstanding'.

Interestingly..... The 'traditional' guy got a 98% A* to C pass rate in the GCSE exams.

The 'outstanding' teacher got 75% with similar kids.

Make of that what you will.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
It's a highly contrived lesson structure that teachers have to comply with, otherwise you're a shite teacher.

There's no evidence to show this works at all.

You have to come up with some activity at the beginning that 'engages' the kids. Could be a game of bingo emphasising the main point of the last lesson.

You shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes talking to them (IE teaching them) then get them to do some activity involving 'personal learning and thinking skills' about what you've just 'taught' them. Usually something involving arranging cards or gluing bits of paper into their books.

Then at the end give them another activity to sum up what you've just taught them.

:rolleyes:

Just out of interest. A colleague in my department was rated 'satisfactory' in our internal quality control audit.

The management don't like the way he teaches. He's old fashioned and actually teaches and asks them questions.

Other members of the dept get the kids to cut up bits of card and arrange them in the right order, or shade in the boxes that they agree with etc, and they're rated 'outstanding'.

Interestingly..... The 'traditional' guy got a 98% A* to C pass rate in the GCSE exams.

The 'outstanding' teacher got 75% with similar kids.

Make of that what you will.

That GCSEs should have more coursework?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest absolutezero
That GCSEs should have more coursework?

Explain.....

People don't like coursework because it's easier to manipulate than exams, and therefore easier to fudge the exam results.

HOLA4415
Guest absolutezero
What do you think will never be the same again....competent teachers? ;)

Something like that.

Tried and tested teaching methods, and leaving teachers to get on with it rather than jumping on the latest Government experimental bandwagon.

HOLA4416
Something like that.

Tried and tested teaching methods, and leaving teachers to get on with it rather than jumping on the latest Government experimental bandwagon.

Now, I don't agree with you on everything but yes you are right, let the good teachers get on with teaching, they know the score and let the government get on with governing. ;)

HOLA4417

Archived