HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
I you own an asset, I'm sure you prefer that it holds its value.

Relative to other assets. It's no good your house going up 20 grand if the house you want to upsize to goes up 40 grand. Where is the slap head smiley? <_<

Edited by wealthy

HOLA444

PeteHPC thinks I'm a poster called Columbo.

He was wrong too.

Ok Columbo. :P

As fro an asset you love in holding it's value ? Only really means anything if you wish to sell it/die.

HOLA445
Yes, but HOW do they benefit from this? can they spend it? does it improve with value? how, exactly?

Yes, of course they can spend it. They can even spend much of the equity and continue to live there. Or they can sell up later in life and have a considerable lump sum.

But you knew all this anyway, so I'm puzzled why you bother to ask the question.

HOLA446
Relative to other assets. It's no good your house going up 20 grand if the house you want to upsize to goes up 40 grand. Where is the slap head smiley? <_<

This really sums up the stupidity of those who think high house prices are a good thing.

It's all relative. When I first bought average house prices were around £80k, now they are £150k (in 10 years). Mostly the same bricks and mortar. Madness. An engineered pyramid scheme.

The question being: do you want to keep your money to spend it on things you want and need (or heaven forbid save it), or do you want to give it to the bank in debt and interest payments on unnecessarily high house prices, paying inflated commissions to those egging you on along the way?

HOLA447
Yes, of course they can spend it. They can even spend much of the equity and continue to live there. Or they can sell up later in life and have a considerable lump sum.

But you knew all this anyway, so I'm puzzled why you bother to ask the question.

You do realise when you release equity you simply add it to the existing debt - and therefore pay more interest on it ?

Contrary to popular belief, it is not money for nothing.

HOLA448

Because you are a spoilsport and will not join in the scapegoating conspiracy theory that Brown owns the BBC senior management (photos of them in bed with Noddy and the Teletubbies) And that the government both caused the crash and wanted it and now want to reinflate the bubble and want to tax people to death to spend the money on banks that they hope to work for after they leave office (like Norman Lamont :)

HOLA449
You do realise when you release equity you simply add it to the existing debt - and therefore pay more interest on it ?

I think the poster understands that. You do not seem to understand that the general public however, do not.

The news is written for the general public.

HOLA4410

How can they spend it? Im trying to get you to answer the question

HOLA4411
I think the poster understands that. You do not seem to understand that the general public however, do not.

The news is written for the general public.

Why do you think I used the phrase 'Contrary to popular belief'.....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

But when you sell that asset, what happens then?

Oh, you buy another house! So rising prices are BAD if you want to buy a bigger house next (most people) since teh differential increases.

Also means bigger stamp duty even if you are just relocating.

So your 70% stat is ******. Only downsizers want rising prices, or BTL people farmers

If petrol, or beer, or bread goes up, it's bad.

SAME WITH HOUSES FOR MOST PEOPLE YOU TW@

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Sorry, we just aren't on the same wave length.

or you dont wish to answer the question

HOW CAN YOU SPEND THE EQUITY IN YOUR HOUSE?

simple.. I know the answer. can the answer pass onto a post of yours?

HOLA4416

This story appeared online around 4am (I spotted it as I was woke up by the f***in neighbours, the story meant I couldn't get back off til half six), I wonder if there was a "junior" editor in control who in his early 30s has a few BTL to get rid of. THat quote was probably from a mate. Despicable story IMO and typical of Al Beeba.

HOLA4417
or you dont wish to answer the question

HOW CAN YOU SPEND THE EQUITY IN YOUR HOUSE?

simple.. I know the answer. can the answer pass onto a post of yours?

Most people wanting to make a point do so by posting it.

You appear to be suggesting I guess what your point is. I don't feel this is the most useful allocation of my time.

HOLA4418
So if you don't buy you are not getting on with your life? I've not bought and got on with my life, especially now I'm free from bags of plaster, weekends at B&Q and constant decorating.

You'll like the idea in Coast magazine, then. (Not related to the TV prog, devoted to the joys of the British seaside.)

Their idea is no DIY on the next bank hol, no multi-trips to B&Q to get the things you forgot the first time, no painting, tiling, grouting or laying decking - head for the beach instead.

B&Q will no doubt be praying for torrential rain. ;)

HOLA4419
Most people wanting to make a point do so by posting it.

You appear to be suggesting I guess what your point is. I don't feel this is the most useful allocation of my time.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

On 2nd thoughts...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What your stating is 100% obvious - but in my experience very few people appear to get it and prefer to treat their house like it`s an ATM - this has always totally confused me but never mind .

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I keep pointing this out, but 70% is the proportion of people that live in "owner occupied households". It doesn't mean they all own houses - think of a thirty year old son living with his parents for example.

I can't find the statistics, but I think only 38% of people own any property. In summary, most people do not own the house they live in. The other statistic is always used to imply that most people do.

every 10 minutes a property is repossessed

there's a nice stat