Lunch With Merv

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
In the not too distant future, I'm having a spot of lunch with our favourite Penfold look-a-like.

Chatham House rule applies but given the opportunity, what would you like to ask?

is it correct and right that the bank of england can steal from the prudent and savers by printing money

has he looked into the history of fiat money and does he think its different this time

what did the queen call the meating for

should we be listening to the econmists who predicted this crisis rather than the idiots who didnt

what does he think to this quote by an ex director of the bank of england

The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin . . . . Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with a flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. . . . Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. . . . But, if you want to continue to be the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let bankers continue to create money and control credit.

Sir Josiah Stamp, director of the Bank of England

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
In the not too distant future, I'm having a spot of lunch with our favourite Penfold look-a-like.

Chatham House rule applies but given the opportunity, what would you like to ask?

You told us that you didn't really understand the link between low interest rates, inflated asset prices and the 'real' economy, and that the unprecedented credit bubble was not really identified until much later.

Then when the financial crisis happened you told us that you didn't really understand the workings and products of the modern financial markets.

Then when the severity of the impact of the financial crisis on the real economy became apparent, you said that you didn't really understand how severe it would be early on.

Now the Bank of England has decided to embark on the untried and untested 'quantitative easing', what assurances do you have that we won't have another apologetic confession in a years time when its effects feed through (whatever unforeseen effects those might be)?

Edited by paulr

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
is it correct and right that the bank of england can steal from the prudent and savers by printing money

has he looked into the history of fiat money and does he think its different this time

what did the queen call the meating for

should we be listening to the econmists who predicted this crisis rather than the idiots who didnt

what does he think to this quote by an ex director of the bank of england

There is around £100bn actual cash in the economy and around £4,000bn credit. What happens when everyone wants their money back? Are you planning to print or default?
You told us that you didn't really understand the link between low interest rates, inflated asset prices and the 'real' economy, and that the unprecedented credit bubble was not really identified until much later.

Then when the financial crisis happened you told us that you didn't really understand the workings and products of the modern financial markets.

Then when the severity of the impact of the financial crisis on the real economy became apparent, you said that you didn't really understand how severe it would be early on.

Now the Bank of England has decided to embark on the untried and untested 'quantitative easing', what assurances do you have that we won't have another apologetic confession in a years time when its effects feed through (whatever unforeseen effects those might be)?

cracking points + questions above

i would just add, to ask him "have you no shame?"

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'd ask him:

• CPI: isn't this obviously too narrow a remit?
  • HPI: surely you could see there was a bubble?! You did say, "value is opinion, debt is real" - do you think this message was lost on the masses and in hindsight you should have been more forceful?
  • Eddie George's statement: "my legacy, if you like, was fix this." What do you think he meant? Did you?
  • Nobody (with any credibility) foresaw the systemic risks. This is plainly not true. Why do you keep saying this?
  • Your policies will lead to very high inflation down the track, won't they?

Great opportunity. Don't blow it. ;)

HOLA4421

Do you feel that the recent criticism levelled at you is fair, or was this really outside of your remit?

How much control do you feel you have over economic policy decisions, and, with hind sight would you have been able to stop a lot of these problems even if you had wanted to?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'd ask him if he really thinks that base rate will remain at its low well into 2010...considering the S&P/IMF recent comments and the ever increasing risk of investment dumping the £ and avoiding gilts.

Then watch closely for any facial ticks <_<

HOLA4424
HOLA4425