House Price Crash Forum

Question Time , Tonight From Grimsby

HOLA441
There was at least one "I didn't know I could claim for anything else" off some bloke who'd not claimed an awful lot at all...

Almost a 'I would have if I thought I could have'

Vince cable was unaware he could claim a london allowance. tried to get it backdated but was not allowed.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
As " a week is a long time in politics" is an accepted bit of folk lore, she is simple enough to think we all have the memory of goldfish. I always know when someone is stupid, 'cos they fail to give me credit for being up to the mark.

She's hoping that we will all sink into the usual Brit. apathy, sit in't' front of telly, sup our lager, and drift off into dreamland.

Fat chance - the fat is well and truly in the fire... and THEY don't have the wherewithal to put out the blaze. :rolleyes:

Jess,

I agree, the fat is well and truly in the fine. I'm less certain I share the joy and enthusiasm for this. TheRadio this morning I heard them, inteviewing (seriously) people talking about a revolution in politics. Well a revolution in politics is a revolution full stop, and I'm struggling to make a long list of revolutions whose immediate aftermath was increased freedom for individuals to have and express view different from the party line. Or revolutions where the best way of getting on was to be a crony of the people who floated to the top - assuming you could guess who they were going to be.

I can think of circustances whose aftermath was less freedom for individuals - russia, china, germany between the wars,..... The only counter example I can instantly bring to mind is the american revolution (and I've no knowledge of what it was like to live then if you were ther wrong sort of person)

You I understand are a carer. Carers are not high on the list of people who do well out of revolutions. My daughter works with deaf people, again not on the list of people who do well out of revolutions.

So while I feel the same rage expressed by so many in this thread I see reasons for being very concerned about the future. The anger is unlikely to transform into something reasoned, moderate, tolerant or caring. With the wide mix of people here on HPC, the odds are some are going to be on the (possibly violently) losing side in whatever results. Its a time for the ambitious to risk all and aim to rule, and for the rest to speak your mind - after first making sure your mind says what the crowd says.

HOLA443
As Defra minister she did her best to get rid of as many cows (and all other types of farm animals) as she could (by setting up the most illogical and inefficient system of setting up the farm payment scheme) - she was obviously worried about the competion.

Anyone else would have resigned in embarrasment of such an debacle but the Labour Party promoted her.

I dont understand how/why she has been so apparently sucessfull for so long in the party.

We don't need farms, farmers and productivity in the countryside. We can import all the food and milk we need. It is so cheap, environmentally friendly, secure, renewable and subject to more stringent animal welfare standards than the UK. It shouldn't have been cattle burning on pyres, but politicians!

HOLA444
Guest AuntJess
How dare you compare Margaret Beckett to a cow. Cattle are relatively intelligent and trustworthy creatures. They are also productive and provide us with meat, milk, leather and other goods. No comparison at all!!!

:lol: Fair Comment. I love moo-cows too. Slip of the tongue :unsure:

HOLA445
Guest AuntJess

Trouble is - that politicians have gotten used to taking advantage of the long-suffering, phlegmatic, British public - who are not renowned for their feistyness. If this was South America, all this bunch of crooks would have been outed and lucky to escape with a whole skin.

Now we have reached the limits of our endurance: - unfettered immigration; daft PC policies; disappearance of pensions; stealth taxes; lack of civil liberties; squandered gold reserves - for starters.The piece de resistance in all this o'course.... the untrammelled ramping of house prices: rendering a generation unable to buy a house, and a good few destined for negative equity or repossession.

This latest event would appear to be the last straw to break the camel's back ( THAT'S what Ms. Beckett looks like - a camel!!)

This administration must hold their hands up for either incompetence - that they made such huge financial 'errors' - or dishonesty - that they 'played' the system.

They can't escape one of them. <_<

There again, that expenses claim system was open to mismanagement. As I always say - There MUST be accountability.

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA446
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA

( THAT'S what Ms. Beckett looks like - a camel!!)

I'd rather 'finger' a camel.

HOLA447

Something Margaret Beckett commented on (which appears to have been missed here) is the fact that MPs have been allowed to claim second home allowances since 1983.

Given that since that time we have had massive speculation on residential property, this proves that the topic of MP expenses is very much on topic!

MP second home allowances = property speculation by MPs

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest UK Debt Slave

I didn't get around to posting on HPC last night but I watched QT and wasn't it a spectacle?

Theresa May Looked like she was going to $hit in her knickers from the off. Minger looked very humbled and Beckett just sat there with her horsey face. rictus grin and that smug air of superiority. Jeeeeez, that woman needs beheading

Great to hear all the heckling

I also watched This Week afterwards. Portillo and the journo in the greasy spoon both mentioned their shock ast hearing politicians heckled on QT while Diane Abbott sat there with another idiot grin that seems to be a disease with Liebour politicians.

Fantastic stuff

HOLA4415

Mind you Portillo's memory is very short as many people will remember the Question Time heckling of the tories when they were in power before 1997 as more and more sleaze was unveiled. It's unlikely that he's really forgotten that.

It's so disgraceful that the sleaze is even worse and more shameless now (and all party) when NuLabour promised things would be whiter than white in parliament if they were elected in 1997.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest AuntJess
I didn't get around to posting on HPC last night but I watched QT and wasn't it a spectacle?

Theresa May Looked like she was going to $hit in her knickers from the off. Minger looked very humbled and Beckett just sat there with her horsey face. rictus grin and that smug air of superiority. Jeeeeez, that woman needs beheading

Great to hear all the heckling

I also watched This Week afterwards. Portillo and the journo in the greasy spoon both mentioned their shock ast hearing politicians heckled on QT while Diane Abbott sat there with another idiot grin that seems to be a disease with Liebour politicians.

Fantastic stuff

She's another one I'd like to see bite the dust.

HOLA4421
And while they're at it it's about time they started pronouncing Campbell's name the way it's spelt i.e. MENZIES.

If he wants it pronounced differently he should change it by deed poll.

Too right - they don't call this chap Menzies the Merciless do they?

mingmercy-431x300.jpg

HOLA4422
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
I still can't shift this image of her being fingered by the Telegraph!

:o

All they can say is that it stunk. And now they're passing it around all their friends for a whiff.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Am I the only person to find her arrogant smirking face offensive?

No, there's at least two of us.

I am surprised that Portillo agrees to cosy up to the smug lard pants each week like they are the best of mates. Still, he gets well paid to do it and we know that MPs will do anything for filthy lucre.

HOLA4425
We don't need farms, farmers and productivity in the countryside. We can import all the food and milk we need. It is so cheap, environmentally friendly, secure, renewable and subject to more stringent animal welfare standards than the UK. It shouldn't have been cattle burning on pyres, but politicians!

Dig them all up, concrete them all over build tons of houses for 3rd, 4th homes for our poor hard done by (so skint , they cant afford a bath plug) politicians- job done- sorted