House Price Crash Forum

Car Scrappage Scheme

HOLA441
Good man! I hate these ar$eholes who push in queues or nip off left to speed up slip roads and re-join the jam a hundred yards in front. Just slows everyone else down and that's why they're doing it half the time because of to55ers like themselves. Not that they have the brains to work that out but there ya go.

TFH

I would agree with that, but I do get annoyed by people who refuse to let me or others in when two lanes go into one just after some traffic lights on a road I rarely use, or have not been on before. It is not done on purpose, and if I knew the road would not have been in the lane, but some arseholes refuse to let you in.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
I would agree with that, but I do get annoyed by people who refuse to let me or others in when two lanes go into one just after some traffic lights on a road I rarely use, or have not been on before. It is not done on purpose, and if I knew the road would not have been in the lane, but some arseholes refuse to let you in.

When im on familiar roads, i always take note of the (usually) beamers and mercs, that piss past me up to the lights.

If they then whack on the left indicator to cut in, 15 yards from the junction, i make life difficult.

Let the speed that they go by you, be your guide.

If its fast, they KNOW whats ahead. And these people are ***** of the highest order.

This always happens to me on the A406 slip road coming off the A40, you can spot em a mile off.

Edited by shindigger

HOLA443

My 15 year old banger is great. It is badly scratched and dented, filled with old newspapers, never cleaned and I love it. I will not trade it in under any circumstances. It also really annoys my aspirational neighbours who, in my newish housing estate close, all have gleaming, new (mainly silver for some reason) unmarked vehicles. Over the past couple of years they have all bought up the subject of the car in some guise or other. My cheerful answer is that I love it and I bought it for cash so own it outright. Bizarrely that ends the conversation ...

HOLA444

VOLVO HAS ALWAYS TRIED TO REDUCE THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF OUR CARS - SO WE'RE DELIGHTED BY YESTERDAY'S SCRAPPAGE SCHEME ANNOUNCEMENT.

So much so, in fact, that when you bring your £1,000 scrappage voucher into a Volvo dealership we'll match it with another £1,000 towards any new Volvo PLUS an additional deposit contribution (that's £2,027 on a Volvo C30 DRIVe S, for example). That's a total saving of £4,027 (inc VAT) off the recommended retail price. And thanks to an mpg figure of up to 72.4† - giving you as much as 800 miles on a single tank of fuel - you'll be saving every time you drive.

Add it all together and it means that there's simply never been a better time to buy a new, more economical, more rewarding Volvo.

HOLA445
:lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like me and my skoda. My fella used to be into cars but I made him sell his golf because the service and repair bills were rediculous. We got an 02 Skoda Labia ......

Is that the one where the doors never shut properly?

HOLA446
What effect will the car scrappage scheme have on second hand cars less than 10 years old?

For example a 3 series 2005 BMW with around 50k on the mileage :) (considering buying one)

The other thing i was thinking is that people who have 10 year old cars are not the same people who would go out and buy a new car even if it was 2 grand cheaper.

Exactly, a reliable paid for, cheap to insure and tax 1100 cc car 50 miles to the gallon is miles better than a new car that will not save you money it will cost you money in debt and interest....besides it would break my heart to scrap old faithful for a phony fancy one and not worth the worry that someone might scratch or hit it...you might even end up with a lemon, who knows.

IMO well worth waiting for a low emissions, eco- friendly car of the future. ;)

HOLA447

The fact that manufacturers have to "fund" half of this is going to be a right dampener on negotiating a good price.

The logical thing to do would be to negotiate a price on the basis of being a cash buyer; and then announce that you're using the scrappage scheme at that point.

Instead, you'll agree a price; announce that you're using the scrappage scheme, and the dealer will just say "sorry mate, the deal's off".

HOLA448
I'm sure someone will come up with a clever arbitrage or new car dealers will simply use it as an excuse to raise prices.

This scheme will doubtless fall foul of the good old NuLabour "law of unintended consequences".

What happens to a 10 year old car that on Monday was on the market for £150?

It's now worth somwhere between £150 and £1999.....as even if the current owner doesn't / can't afford to trade it in for a new car, someone will pay alot more than its current market value if there is a saving that they could make by buying this and trading it in to get their 2k off.

Mad really.

The car worth £150 is not far off being scrapped anyway, and the potential purchaser of the new car would have bought the new car anyway. On this basis there is the potential for no net benefit to the car market, except that the price of 8/9/10 year old cars will suddenly be alot more expensive which could price out those that rely on cheap runarounds.

Like I say, the laws of unintended consequnces is a cruel an unpredicatable mistress.

EDIT: I have only read the first couple of posts on this thread, so apologies for any duplication of other posts....this is just the way I see at first glance.

Edited by Not Long Now

HOLA449
My 15 year old banger is great. It is badly scratched and dented, filled with old newspapers, never cleaned and I love it. I will not trade it in under any circumstances. It also really annoys my aspirational neighbours who, in my newish housing estate close, all have gleaming, new (mainly silver for some reason) unmarked vehicles. Over the past couple of years they have all bought up the subject of the car in some guise or other. My cheerful answer is that I love it and I bought it for cash so own it outright. Bizarrely that ends the conversation ...

Good on yer :lol:

HOLA4410
I agree but don't worry. Apart from the HPCer special population most people who drive a 10 year old car, like me, drive one because they cant afford/justify/prioritise the spend. A new car with 2Gs off is still inappropriate for 90 percent of that population. I don't think there'll be many takers outside of the scammers.

When as something being appropriate ever mattered to the general public? It doesnt matter if they can even afford it, there will be people who will take up the scheme!

I am not actually suggesting that people will go out and buy new vehicles having previously had no intention. What I do think will happen is that someone who was going to buy a used car may well decide to go for a new one instead. The used marked has been thriving for the last couple of months so there are buyers there and they may well be persuaded to buy new with peace of mind and a £2k discount than going used....

HOLA4411
What effect will the car scrappage scheme have on second hand cars less than 10 years old?

For example a 3 series 2005 BMW with around 50k on the mileage :) (considering buying one)

Same here but waitng a bit longer to see if hubby holds onto his job and weighing it up with Audi A4

The other thing i was thinking is that people who have 10 year old cars are not the same people who would go out and buy a new car even if it was 2 grand cheaper.

Like me

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Old cars use simple parts cheaply available (sometimes from scrapyards) and cheaply installed by old school motor mechanics with a monkey wrench.

New cars require complex parts, have more electric gubbins to go wrong which cost a fortune when they do and require a computer to diagnose faults. The complexity forces old school mechanics out of business as they can't afford the £0000s for the stupid computer.

I do not need or want a dedicated electric motor to adjust a wing mirror...

Peugot wing mirror from scrapyard £5.

Alfa Romeo wing mirror £200.

My old peugot 16 years old...Ive had it for 6. NO major work has been done on it. Cam Belt and clutch change at 60k...

I love that old car. The only thing this Gvt scheme might entice me to buy is a Crooklock..

The problem is very old cars eat cash if you can't repair them yourself. The cost of garages these days is at least 40.00 per hour and parts tend to be very expensive. Average service costs of an older car could be as much as £900.00 per year.

So that banger might sound like a great deal but cost in the repairs....and you might think otherwise.

Cars in general are money pits but essential for daily life these days. I just paid over £60.00 for a couple of wiper blade motors.....and I'm fitting them myself add £40.00 if you were to get this done at a garage.

I like to buy cars just over 3 years old. Buy low mileage and clean........its the best approach. You can buy a mint 20,000 car for as little as 8k if its been run in. With just 30,000 miles on the clock you have at least 30,000 before you start making major repairs.

HOLA4415
This scheme will doubtless fall foul of the good old NuLabour "law of unintended consequences".

What happens to a 10 year old car that on Monday was on the market for £150?

It's now worth somwhere between £150 and £1999.....as even if the current owner doesn't / can't afford to trade it in for a new car, someone will pay alot more than its current market value if there is a saving that they could make by buying this and trading it in to get their 2k off.

Mad really.

The car worth £150 is not far off being scrapped anyway, and the potential purchaser of the new car would have bought the new car anyway. On this basis there is the potential for no net benefit to the car market, except that the price of 8/9/10 year old cars will suddenly be alot more expensive which could price out those that rely on cheap runarounds.

Like I say, the laws of unintended consequnces is a cruel an unpredicatable mistress.

EDIT: I have only read the first couple of posts on this thread, so apologies for any duplication of other posts....this is just the way I see at first glance.

you have to own the scrapper for a year.... so no point actually buying one that you will have to MOT etc

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

How are people going to get the money to pay for these new cars? Let me guess....

People will see that their mortgage repayments have gone down so they think they can afford the car now (afford the repayments) so they borrow money to buy the car adding to the UK debt pile. When interest rates go up, as they will, it's not really possible for them to go down, then morgage rates go up, they can't afford the repayments on the car and the house, they can't get rid of the car since it is in negative equity, can't get rid of the house since it is in negative equity, this will mean they are bankrupt.

The German sitatuation is different as they haven't just been on a giant debt binge and have savings.

HOLA4418
Guest Skinty

In a week's time I will have up to a thousand pounds in my pocket to buy a second hand car. I am prepared to take out a little bit of debt (an extra thousand) to get something better if it makes sense over the next two years. After all, I don't want to buy something that will break down and cost me more in repairs, nor do I want to end up paying more in petrol for having brought cheaper. I'm looking at something small, cheap to run and reliable. Any ideas? I was thinking that I might go for £1,500 ish.

Was thinking Nissan Micra but they are relatively expensive or a Ford Ka. Also considered Fiat Punto or Vauxhall Corsa. Should I just go for something as cheap as possible or pay more?

Edited by Skinty

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
In a week's time I will have up to a thousand pounds in my pocket to buy a second hand car. I am prepared to take out a little bit of debt (an extra thousand) to get something better if it makes sense over the next two years. After all, I don't want to buy something that will break down and cost me more in repairs, nor do I want to end up paying more in petrol for having brought cheaper. I'm looking at something small, cheap to run and reliable. Any ideas? I was thinking that I might go for £1,500 ish.

Was thinking Nissan Micra but they are relatively expensive or a Ford Ka. Also considered Fiat Punto or Vauxhall Corsa. Should I just go for something as cheap as possible or pay more?

Have you considered buying an oldish BMW ? You could pick up a decent early nineties 3 or 5 series for very little money

Sounds like a stupid idea but you will get a very nice ride for very little money. If you do the sums, 25-30mpg BMW or 35-40mpg ford ka you might be surprised at how little you will save after 10 thousand miles, then factor in the increased depreciation, more repairs, crappyness of the Ford Ka you might find that though an old BMW might cost a little more, over the course of 3-4 years motoring it will only be by a few hundred quid and in 2012 you will still have a nice looking car on the drive instead of an old ford jalopy eg take a look at the carpets in a ford KA it looks more like felt!

Did you know that the gearbox on a typical 80's 90's beemer hasn't even loosened up properly until about 70k miles, because the engineering is so good?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I run a old BMW (320 coupe) that's technically old enough to vote but it's good on the motorway, looks nice and never breaks down. If I drive it carefully it will give me over 30 mpg. Before that I had a similarly good BMW and before that a string of annoying vauxhalls, fords etc. that cost me a fortune in repairs and ended up quite quickly as grotty looking bangers. MY old BMW on the other hand looks better with age and is now even starting to look a bit of classic.

http://www.oldcolonelcars.co.uk/

this chap has nice ones as an example of whats available, a bit over your budget but if you watch autotrader closely you could pick up a corker for 1500-2000

Edited by researchmug

HOLA4421
If it hasn't already been said, you are an ignorant cow.

You may not care about your worthless heap of scrap metal but spare a thought for others and treating their posessions with care.

May I second that comment. If I saw that being done to either my or someone else's car I would take the registration and report you to the police.

HOLA4422
The problem is very old cars eat cash if you can't repair them yourself. The cost of garages these days is at least 40.00 per hour and parts tend to be very expensive. Average service costs of an older car could be as much as £900.00 per year.

So that banger might sound like a great deal but cost in the repairs....and you might think otherwise.

Cars in general are money pits but essential for daily life these days. I just paid over £60.00 for a couple of wiper blade motors.....and I'm fitting them myself add £40.00 if you were to get this done at a garage.

I like to buy cars just over 3 years old. Buy low mileage and clean........its the best approach. You can buy a mint 20,000 car for as little as 8k if its been run in. With just 30,000 miles on the clock you have at least 30,000 before you start making major repairs.

So an old car costs £300-£400 per month on repairs, what rubbish, even if you get a garage to do it a new car is vastly more expensive. This is exactly the daft self justifying reason people use to treat themselves to a new car that is just keeping up with the Jones. Also the same for it 'costs more to insure' mentality, what relevance has the risk of causing damage to other cars got to do with the cost of the car? IMO the only thing to provoke buying a new car is when it cannot be repaired, usually because the mechanic doesn't really know what is wrong with it.

Anyway its like house prices, if you subsidise buyers with gov't money (like co-owership) the level of affordability just increases by the same amount and prices increase.

HOLA4423
Guest Skinty
Have you considered buying an oldish BMW ? You could pick up a decent early nineties 3 or 5 series for very little money

Sounds like a stupid idea but you will get a very nice ride for very little money. If you do the sums, 25-30mpg BMW or 35-40mpg ford ka you might be surprised at how little you will save after 10 thousand miles, then factor in the increased depreciation, more repairs, crappyness of the Ford Ka you might find that though an old BMW might cost a little more, over the course of 3-4 years motoring it will only be by a few hundred quid and in 2012 you will still have a nice looking car on the drive instead of an old ford jalopy eg take a look at the carpets in a ford KA it looks more like felt!

Did you know that the gearbox on a typical 80's 90's beemer hasn't even loosened up properly until about 70k miles, because the engineering is so good?

Interesting idea, but what about increased tax and insurance? Not to mention that Japanese cars such as Nissan Micras are supposed to be really reliable? I personally quite like BMWs, not because I have ever owned one or driven one, but because I have an association in my mind with them and trips to Bavaria to meet my relatives when I was a small child.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.ht...128339010848601

HOLA4424
If it hasn't already been said, you are an ignorant cow.

You may not care about your worthless heap of scrap metal but spare a thought for others and treating their posessions with care.

:lol::lol::lol: ever heard of the 'car defender':

car_defender_3.jpg

only having a giraffe ;)

car_defender_2.jpg

post-8148-1240591018_thumb.jpg

post-8148-1240591218_thumb.jpg

HOLA4425

Interesting idea, but what about increased tax and insurance?

Good point about the insurance, but if you are getting on a bit like me then one of the few bonuses is cheaper insurance. I personally love to whiz past the yoof in their halfordised hairdryers.

Not to mention that Japanese cars such as Nissan Micras are supposed to be really reliable?

The Japanese cars are extremely reliable but dull as dishwater. But put it like this: You've been invited to a fancy wedding. You have your best suit or frock on, it's a beautiful sunny day and you are pulling your car up to the quaint country church as other guests are parking up and walking into the ceremony. Which car do you want to be parking as other guest walk past? A Nissan Micra or a classic BMW.