House Price Crash Forum

Santander, Grrrrr

Monkey

HOLA441

It's always the same.

Maybe 20 years ago I took a grand out of my bank account at Lloyds. Went to the big one on King Street in Manchester. Was quizzed about who I was as I didn't have my branch there and told I should have given them notice. Had to hang about. I suspect some of it is to weed out people who've just picked up a lost card somewhere.

It was a nice little chunk of money when they finally emptied enough tills for it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Santander definitely suck big time - it took me several days of being given the run around to close an account at A&L after they took over. I would certainly never use them again. I think the difficulty of getting your cash out is something common to all banks and is a combination of ludicrously over cautious interpretation of the money laundering and terrorist financing regulations, crass marketing (they want to know what the money is for so they can try and sell you stuff on the back of it) and a genuine desire to keep around as little cash as possible (it's hard to handle, needs to be guarded and earns 0% interest).

I had major issues with Shatander around 2 years ago, i was trying to deposit 40k into a Bond, told me i had to wait around an hour to put the money in, this happened twice, i didn't close the two accounts i have with them, I just leave £1 each in them and save all my stress and they can pay to keep it open.

HOLA443

Bank credit (which is what you have when you have a positive account balance) is not the same thing as having actual money.

Don't worry, there's an ongoing agenda from the government and the banks to get rid of cash and make everyone use only bank credit instead. Then actually having our own money won't be an issue, we'll all be at the mercy of bank promises and they'll be free to more or less do whatever they want with the entire productive capacity of the nation. A comforting thought ...

Yes, I understand a few European countries are looking at introducing laws prohibiting the payment in cash above a certain limit (I think it's around 2 or 3,000 Euros). Part of the reason is that the govt is looking to stop black economy transactions ie cash.

HOLA444

Santander definitely suck big time - it took me several days of being given the run around to close an account at A&L after they took over. I would certainly never use them again. I think the difficulty of getting your cash out is something common to all banks and is a combination of ludicrously over cautious interpretation of the money laundering and terrorist financing regulations, crass marketing (they want to know what the money is for so they can try and sell you stuff on the back of it) and a genuine desire to keep around as little cash as possible (it's hard to handle, needs to be guarded and earns 0% interest).

That is a very sensible and plausible explanation.

This is HPC, give us a conspiracy theory, man!

HOLA445

Don't worry, there's an ongoing agenda from the government and the banks to get rid of cash and make everyone use only bank credit instead. Then actually having our own money won't be an issue, we'll all be at the mercy of bank promises and they'll be free to more or less do whatever they want with the entire productive capacity of the nation. A comforting thought ...

Less use of cash is certainly coming. But if they go so far as to attempt to remove it completely, Im sure the populace will just use their own currency, probably exchange of favours. If you do my windows I'll fit that wall socket, that kind of thing. Then they can't skim off a cut from productive work as they do now. There's only so much they can take from us.

HOLA446

I had major issues with Shatander around 2 years ago, i was trying to deposit 40k into a Bond, told me i had to wait around an hour to put the money in, this happened twice, i didn't close the two accounts i have with them, I just leave £1 each in them and save all my stress and they can pay to keep it open.

Yes. Never close an account if unhappy, it's hassle and you're doing them a favour if you no longer want to use their services. Withdraw all the money down to the minimum, and forget about it.

Occasionally you'll get a statement through the post, I find the envelopes they send handy for jotting things down. Jolly decent of them to send me note paper.

HOLA447
1330809937[/url]' post='3276367']

Welcome to my pain! Even the telephone number did not work!

HOLA448
HOLA449
1330859368[/url]' post='3276575']

Less use of cash is certainly coming. But if they go so far as to attempt to remove it completely, Im sure the populace will just use their own currency, probably exchange of favours. If you do my windows I'll fit that wall socket, that kind of thing. Then they can't skim off a cut from productive work as they do now. There's only so much they can take from us.

I have a self imagined ability to run a small country. Any offers for an exchange of value? Toilet cleaning someone?

HOLA4410

This wasn't the case in 2010 when I asked for and got £1500 to £2K at Lloyds in one chunk, the exact amount eludes me but I gave no notice at all

They always ask what it is for and I usually reply "top class hooker"

If the teller was really fit and offered it for £750 would you take them up on the offer?

HOLA4411
1330862542[/url]' post='3276612']

I have a self imagined ability to run a small country. Any offers for an exchange of value? Toilet cleaning someone?

Silly me, that's exactly what's going on, only Joe Public does not get the exchange of value. That's reserved for the "elite".

HOLA4412

Yes. Never close an account if unhappy, it's hassle and you're doing them a favour if you no longer want to use their services. Withdraw all the money down to the minimum, and forget about it.

Occasionally you'll get a statement through the post, I find the envelopes they send handy for jotting things down. Jolly decent of them to send me note paper.

Depends on the account and the bank, Santander are such twats you may find some hefty charges on the account even though you have no transactions through it and sorting things out with them is a nightmare, their computers have a mind of their own, my wife has recently had 2 gift baskets out of them for errors and miscalculations all in the space of a few months

I am working with a Spanish guy at the moment and when I mentioned Santander he was extremely scathing, apparently their reputation is just as bad in Spain, he also said "computer errors" where a big problem for Santander customers in Spain too

HOLA4413

They are all the same. Couldn't take £1000 out of Halifax some time ago. Had to convince them like you did. They said it would have to be a one off too.

OTOH heard recently of some old boy with very early dementia - not at all obvious to anyone but family - who was targeted by rogue traders. They drove him to his bank where he obligingly took out £3 or 4 K in cash - apparently no questions asked -and handed it over. The bastards came back a few days later and he handed over another couple of K.

Family only found out well after the event when he vaguely felt that something might be wrong and told them. Family were powerless to act since no Power of Attorney in place.

Eventually the bank grudgingly agreed to limit cash to £500 a day, but still easy for scum to take advantage.

The most I've ever taken out was $10,000 - max you can take into US in cash - but obviously had to give a couple of days' notice since $.

Nobody asked what I wanted it for.

HOLA4414

It all reminds me of a 1982 sketch from Not The Nine O'Clock News (doesn't seem to be available online).

A customer enters a bank and asks to withdraw cash. The bank teller says sorry but the money has gone. The bank kept customers cash in cardboard boxes in the back yard and it all blew away. The customer becomes increasingly irate as the story unfolds.

The punchline is when the teller laughs and says 'I'm only joking'

The customer is relieved.

The teller says 'look, we've got your cardboard box right here'.

The real irony, of course, is that in real life a bank doesn't have all the money. Even having it in cardboard boxes would be safer for the customer.

HOLA4415

I had a savings account with BBS (now part of YBS), closed it down when YBS started offering B2L mortgages through Chelsea building society, I'll be damned if I am funded my own slavery! Had about £600 in, asked to close it down and withdraw all the cash. Didn't even get asked for any form of ID.

When I get my dole money I take it out ASAP on the morning it is paid. I am scared of a bank run. Money under the mattress type thing. I ask to buy things on tick from local shops and sometimes pay in advance, this allows me to run up a large tab if needs be. I have fairly large stockpiles of food (only small amounts of water, but there is a reservoir in 15 minutes walk one way and a river 10 minutes the other, so I don't worry to much about that).

I'm scared of putting any money into a bank/banks, besides which, there is not much I want to save up for, for a holiday I need cash. A car is out of the question due to the prohibitive cost of insurance, and 2 more years yet before I qualify for maximum right to buy discount, but I don't agree with RTB and don't think I wish to own property. Just increase homebrew capacity. And put money/seed collection aside to invest in my (soon to be) allotment.

HOLA4416

OTOH heard recently of some old boy with very early dementia - not at all obvious to anyone but family - who was targeted by rogue traders. They drove him to his bank where he obligingly took out £3 or 4 K in cash - apparently no questions asked -and handed it over. The bastards came back a few days later and he handed over another couple of K.

Family only found out well after the event when he vaguely felt that something might be wrong and told them. Family were powerless to act since no Power of Attorney in place.

Eventually the bank grudgingly agreed to limit cash to £500 a day, but still easy for scum to take advantage.

The most I've ever taken out was $10,000 - max you can take into US in cash - but obviously had to give a couple of days' notice since $.

Nobody asked what I wanted it for.

Exactly the same thing happened to my Mum and Dad some time ago (Dad had had several strokes and was severely impaired and Mum is the kind of person who will sign anything if a "nice young man" tells her it's the best thing), except the "Rogue Traders" were employed by the bank (they called him a "financial adviser") this bank which has since been taken over by Santander, persuaded them to move all their savings from "safe" investments into an account which had lost them over 4k by the time we found out (space of a couple of weeks).

Luckily they had 3 children who ranged in age from late forties to early sixties all of whom had much experience in dealing with banks and financial matters, poor branch manager experienced the consumer protection version of "shock and awe"!, I know being the last to call as I lived further away and heard about this late in the day the poor lady was close to tears when I rang, luckily in the event we were able to get their losses returned and the old accounts put back in place.

I have always told my kids, "everyone in the world wants your money, where money is concerned trust no one", because it's true :angry:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Particularly harrowing when a couple of years ago one of them woke up in the middle of the night and broke Father Xmass nose as they thought he was nicking the piggybank

If you ask me, a fat guy in an outrageous costume trespassing in houses in the middle of the night, he had it coming.... :D

Let me also qualify my earlier statement by saying at the time this advice was given they were late late teens, early twenties not 5.

From 3 - 14 years old they had me supporting the Chinese economy via the very fine plastic goods sold by Toys R Us!

....which also I might add kept Father Christmas in full employment :lol:

HOLA4420

Let me also qualify my earlier statement by saying at the time this advice was given they were late late teens, early twenties not 5.

No less sad :(.

Trust is important.

Learning who to trust is essential, but a life of paranoia is sad. For me, one of life's pleasures has been shaking hands on a deal.

HOLA4421

No less sad :(.

Trust is important.

Learning who to trust is essential, but a life of paranoia is sad. For me, one of life's pleasures has been shaking hands on a deal.

I give money to a charity which gives support to seriously sick and disabled kids...didn't stop their first treasurer and director disapearing with the initial funds raised, even though everyone had agreed they were extremely trustworthy, I have had numerous experience with "trustworthy" banks and sales people selling myself and friends, family and colleagues their poorest products which earnt them the best profits/commission and gave back the smallest return because I/they didn't question or know any better.

There is a big difference between paranoia and trust, trust is something that has to be earned, and I notice the people who usually tout trust and fair dealing as virtues in financial terms are usually the first to abuse it.

Now I notice you've decided to take a single line comment I posted and run with it, if you want to do that fine, be my guest, if entering into financial agreements with a degree of suspicion and caution is "sad", fine I'm "sad". :lol:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I drew £15K out of Barclays a few years ago. They asked for 24 hours to get the cash in the £50 notes I requested. When I picked it up they asked what it was for and I said that I was concerned about bank runs and wanted a cash buffer. The cashier smiled in a "don't blame you" sort of way.

Are you confident you can tell the difference between her "don't blame you smile" and her "uh-oh, it's a lunatic, smile and he will be gone soon" smile?

When I get my dole money I take it out ASAP on the morning it is paid. I am scared of a bank run. Money under the mattress type thing. I ask to buy things on tick from local shops and sometimes pay in advance, this allows me to run up a large tab if needs be. I have fairly large stockpiles of food (only small amounts of water, but there is a reservoir in 15 minutes walk one way and a river 10 minutes the other, so I don't worry to much about that).

I think you need some daylight and fresh air

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Exactly the same thing happened to my Mum and Dad some time ago (Dad had had several strokes and was severely impaired and Mum is the kind of person who will sign anything if a "nice young man" tells her it's the best thing), except the "Rogue Traders" were employed by the bank (they called him a "financial adviser") this bank which has since been taken over by Santander, persuaded them to move all their savings from "safe" investments into an account which had lost them over 4k by the time we found out (space of a couple of weeks).

Luckily they had 3 children who ranged in age from late forties to early sixties all of whom had much experience in dealing with banks and financial matters, poor branch manager experienced the consumer protection version of "shock and awe"!, I know being the last to call as I lived further away and heard about this late in the day the poor lady was close to tears when I rang, luckily in the event we were able to get their losses returned and the old accounts put back in place.

We had similar - some slimy FA called on Mr B's father - in his 80s and going a bit doolally then although we hadn't quite realised. Persuaded him into some totally unsuitable investment for anyone of his age.

Luckily he was still with-it enough to worry whether he'd done the wrong thing and tell us within cooling-off period.

But that was the signal to activate the PofA which he'd had the foresight to set in place.

The real b*gger is when they haven't, and no longer have the capacity to make the choice. Then you have to go through all sorts of bureaucratic hoops before you can stop them dishing out their cash to any 'nice' persuasive shark who comes knocking on the door, or phones them, for that matter. Heard recently of some old dear who'd taken out four more or less identical heating/plumbing insurance deals with such very nice young men who'd phoned her for a friendly chat.

Archived