House Price Crash Forum

Industries That Add Nothing To The Economy

HOLA441

I've had a drink so I'm allowed. As an underwriter I'll add my own industry to this list, but wondered what other sectors of the market you feel add no 'real' value to the economy & are just really good at moving money &/or people around. Here we go.......

Insurance

Banks

EAs

Recruitment

IFAs

My drinking has kicked in early so please add to this list, even better if you can give a coherent reason why (or even why not)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I've had a drink so I'm allowed. As an underwriter I'll add my own industry to this list, but wondered what other sectors of the market you feel add no 'real' value to the economy & are just really good at moving money &/or people around. Here we go.......

Insurance

Banks

EAs

Recruitment

IFAs

My drinking has kicked in early so please add to this list, even better if you can give a coherent reason why (or even why not)

Everything the state does, obviously.

yes, including fire bridages and ickle nursey wurseys as well.

The reasoning is simple and obvious - if you hav to force people to buy it, then they don't want it. if they don't want it, it's economically wasteful.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Insurance

Banks

EAs

Recruitment

IFAs

Life Coaches/Personal Trainers - they're more a status symbol than anything

Gym memberships

Interior Designers

Daytime T.V. Presenting, as well as Bingo TV and other gambling game presenters

Any religious leader who doesn't get their hands dirty in counselling people or comforting people

90% of middle management in industry who make charts that track performance, have endless meetings but who don't actually go and just talk to the workers, or stand up to the senior management on behalf of the shop floor when the shop floor has the knowledge.

Most business consultants, specifically the types that are brought in to ask employees opinions in a business, then spend months just writing a highly expensive report which just restates those ideas.

(the last two are related aren't they, and about how if a manager is crap he'll rely on procedures or "experts" as opposed to doing his job of managing)

People who market and advertise rubbish products. Sales people are necessary, you need to find a decent answer to your need after all, just don't waste your time selling me crap that you know doesn't work.

99% of politicians.

The Royal Family (you can get lost with the Tourism argument too)

HOLA445

The reasoning is simple and obvious - if you hav to force people to buy it, then they don't want it. if they don't want it, it's economically wasteful.

Jesus injun.. thats extreme even for you, I have not got involved in one of your replies before. I think some of the time your on the wind up, but I can't tell when, hence the non involvement.

If your house was on fire with you trapped inside I hope the fire brigade are there because I like you and your contraversial postings. :)

Back on topic...useless jobs..err..range rover dealers..Oh and those poor saps who stand in the doorway of DIY stores who thrust leaflets in your face on your way out while chanting "conservatory, windows or doors." <_<

HOLA446

Ahhhhh, the royal family, don't get me started on those parasites!

"But tourism will be hit if we got rid!"

What's the most visited international city on earth? Paris. I seem to remember that got rid of their royals a few years back.

Mr & Mrs American aren't going to cancel their trip to London, Stratford, York etc because they may not get the chance to go peasant (sic) shooting with Prince Phil.......

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HEALTH AND SAFETY FASCIST SCUM

Sorry mate, if it were up to me, I'd let you go, but that's red lettering and that's a hazard to eyesight. Tell you what I'll give you this notice to quit and if you don't remove it in the next 7 working days I'll close your factory, bankrupt you and lock you up with rapists and thieves. Hey, don't get like that, it's the law, and I am just doing my job. If you don't like it, become an MP.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Aren't the Royals more to do with international contracts than tourism? Banana republic wants a few dams built. Yankee contractor says 'We'll take you to the USA and you can watch a ball game and meet our president'. Brit contractor says 'are you available for Royal Ascot? Her Majesty is so looking forward to meeting you...'

At less than a quid a year each they're way cheaper than b*****ers and if the monarchy is abolished, do you really want whatever power she still has going to the government? Let's hope we get our quids worth and she gives Ponzi Brown a right grilling every week.

Add a 'w' to b_ankers and the 4 letter 'w' word becomes 5 stars. Is this the first sign of hyper inflation?

Edited by John51

HOLA4415

What about street lights?

HOLA4416
Sorry mate, if it were up to me, I'd let you go, but that's red lettering and that's a hazard to eyesight. Tell you what I'll give you this notice to quit and if you don't remove it in the next 7 working days I'll close your factory, bankrupt you and lock you up with rapists and thieves. Hey, don't get like that, it's the law, and I am just doing my job. If you don't like it, become an MP.

I CYCLE TO WORK SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT AND ALL YOU KNOW AND THESE FAT HEALTH AND SAFETY ******S TELL ME ITS A HAZARD TO CHAIN MY BIKE OUTSIDE MY FRIGGIN OFFICE.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I CYCLE TO WORK SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT AND ALL YOU KNOW AND THESE FAT HEALTH AND SAFETY ******S TELL ME ITS A HAZARD TO CHAIN MY BIKE OUTSIDE MY FRIGGIN OFFICE.

Get one of those damn fat person electric wheelchairs and chain that up outside, that will really get them going..especially if you dont leave the hazard lights flashing.Or a really big scrapyard dog...Ho!..Ho!

HOLA4422

I've often wondered how so many hairdressers, beauticians, nail studios etc manage to survive. I some small northern towns they seem to make up well over 50% of the high street.

I used to think these would be the first places to go to the wall... surely the can't survive when people are struggling to pay their bills and feed their children. But then when you watch programs like "Tribe", and you see the even in the poorest communities in the world, the women all spend a huge amount of effort point pointing their nails, styling their hair, makeup/tatooing etc..

Clearly I was underestimating the importance of these things.

The point is though, I guess it doesn't matter that much what people do to create economic activity. The fact the trade takes place, means it contributes to the economy, so really any activity done in exchange for money is "adding" to the economy.

Maybe "adding to the economy" is the wrong term and "Increasing the rate of money-flow within the economy" is a better term?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425