House Price Crash Forum

Limits For Cash Withdrawals Over The Counter

CFarmer

HOLA441
I'm not sure paying £6k in cash for a car is a good idea, what if it was stolen, surely a bankers draft would at least give you a paper trail and somewhere to start ?

Am I the only one who feels sick with more than a ton in my purse in case it gets nicked ?

In which case if you've ever bought a car then you probably paid too much!

Nothing gets you a discount on a car like making a really low offer, having the owner drop a bit, then pulling the cash out with the words "I'll meet you halfway. cash. now".

Maybe it's a man thing ? :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
anway, drawing a veil over my immaturity.....

How can you get to insist to utility companies that they provide you with the measn to pay your bills in cassh. also, how can you force them not to penalise you for doing so?

anybody got any info

I pay almost all bills in cash, cancel the direct debits and they will send you a bill which you can pay at the post office.

You can install a solid fuel burner for less than £300 which will almost eliminate your gas bill, you can pay for the the coal with cash or get hold of a good source of cheap/free wood.

I only use pay as you go mobiles, if you use virgin sim cards you don't need to register.

The only bills in my name are the water, electricity, mortgage and council tax which is more than enough for me.

HOLA443
Guest Steve Cook
I pay almost all bills in cash, cancel the direct debits and they will send you a bill which you can pay at the post office.

You can install a solid fuel burner for less than £300 which will almost eliminate your gas bill, you can pay for the the coal with cash or get hold of a good source of cheap/free wood.

I only use pay as you go mobiles, if you use virgin sim cards you don't need to register.

The only bills in my name are the water, electricity, mortgage and council tax which is more than enough for me.

sounds good to me

HOLA444

Nothing at all sinister, each Bank have to apply if required for cash stock daily, if you want to withdraw £30k in cash from a Branch they as in my case required 3 days notice. They ordered it in £50 notes which was duly delivered by that nice man in an armoured vehicle and the money was kept aside awaiting the collection by my goodself. ;)

HOLA445
QUOTE (MrlyingOutHis@rse @ Oct 14 2008, 09:24 PM) *

"I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section)".

SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY ERASED. Due to latter part of it being TOTAL FABRICATION

lies continue...."Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week.

It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will".

Yea, I will make of it what I will.

AND it's a pile of cr@p.

Many Building Societies already limit cash withdrawls to £500/day, that part is true.

But.

WHAT 'other' building Societies are limiting cash withdrawls to £1000/week??????.

UTTER CR@P, total fabricated twaddle.

"It's not publicly announced yet so no link".

that is a shame, now we can't verify it.

There isn't a building society in the Country that limits cash withdrawls to £1000/week.

I'll even bet £1000 there isn't one.

Some People on this HPC site just make the twaddle up as they go along.

It's one thing having a laugh about things, poking fun at the Icelandic's stuff like that.

But WHAT A WHOPPA.

"other" BS limiting withdrawals to £1000/week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's one thing to say, I think in 2012 the average house in Britain will be worth £95,000.

great, maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But spreading WHAPPA's like this £1000/week stuff it's totally nowhere man, it's just unworthy.

Now then, I've got a very reliable (my better half) source who happen to work there. Shame can't attach her here so you'll have to wait for a link.

What are your arguments, if any? That it never happened before? Happened many times in different countries. Oh I forgot UK's different and immune from financial disasters.

HOLA446
QUOTE (MrlyingOutHis@rse @ Oct 14 2008, 09:24 PM) *

"I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section)".

SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY ERASED. Due to latter part of it being TOTAL FABRICATION

lies continue...."Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week.

It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will".

Yea, I will make of it what I will.

AND it's a pile of cr@p.

Many Building Societies already limit cash withdrawls to £500/day, that part is true.

But.

WHAT 'other' building Societies are limiting cash withdrawls to £1000/week??????.

UTTER CR@P, total fabricated twaddle.

"It's not publicly announced yet so no link".

that is a shame, now we can't verify it.

There isn't a building society in the Country that limits cash withdrawls to £1000/week.

I'll even bet £1000 there isn't one.

It's one thing having a laugh about things, poking fun at the Icelandic's stuff like that.

But WHAT A WHOPPA.

"other" BS limiting withdrawals to £1000/week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's one thing to say, I think in 2012 the average house in Britain will be worth £95,000.

great, maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But spreading WHAPPA's like this £1000/week stuff it's totally nowhere man, it's just unworthy.

OK here's a link for you Mr W@nker.

http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/withdrawal_limits.jsp

OK it's £1000/week for agencies only, £5000/week for own branches. Gonna pay your bet now?

Edited by JOliver

HOLA447
Daily limits or requirements to book are legal on the basis that there is only a certain amount of "cash" you can have in a bank.

A weekly limit would not be, in any way, legal, and would FORCE a run on that bank when news got out.

Well it just happens as we speak (ie limits not runs). Check other posts as well.

HOLA448
Well it just happens as we speak (ie limits not runs). Check other posts as well.

The limit is on cash and not on withdrawals. If you did want larger amounts of cash presumably you'd have to do a transfer to another bank where you could do it?

If you wanted to close your account do you get a banker's draft rather than cash (which was presumably optional)?

Seems odd that you can't book larger than £5k. In my business I've handled much larger cash amounts instantly with my bank (as a way to transfer funds instantly between accounts and for other (legal!) reasons).

Edited by miggy

HOLA449
HOLA4410

>>>You can ask for legal tender for any money that they owe you, in unlimited amounts.

legal tender law > whacky internal bank directives.

>>>

What do you do when the teller looks at you funny, then gets her supervisor, who looks at you funny, then tells you sorry matey it's not policy, and waits for you to leave? How do you actually get them to do it, in practice rather than in legal theory? The problem with bureaucracy is not knowing more than it, it's that it based itself on making non-communication normal.

Edited by bimyo

HOLA4411
>>>You can ask for legal tender for any money that they owe you, in unlimited amounts.

>>>

What do you do when the teller looks at you funny, then gets her supervisor, who looks at you funny, then tells you sorry matey it's not policy, and waits for you to leave? How do you actually get them to do it, in practice rather than in legal theory? The problem with bureaucracy is not knowing more than it, it's that it based itself on making non-communication normal.

1) Take your camera phone out.

2) Point it at them.

3) Ask them again.

HOLA4412
I had the same problem with my yacht, 1.3k every day for 6 months, what a pain

Pfffft...

Small beer.

When I bought ICI it took me 86 years.

HOLA4413

Some of us make it up without having to go anywhere, pal.

HOLA4414
1) Take your camera phone out.

2) Point it at them.

3) Ask them again.

That's one way of having an MPS administered.

(Mobile Phone Suppository)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section). Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week. It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will.

What a malarky! That's bearlly enough to whip up a beetroot and fetuccini salad for a Rotherham child.

Loverly jubbly. Get some of that down yer mate.

HOLA4417

Took the lloyds bank on King Street Manchester half an hour to scrape together £800 for me back in 1993. I did think at the time maybe they were expecting me to run off cos I wasn't who I'd said I was rather than such a big bank not having any spare cash about.

HOLA4418
Recieved a notification today from Nationwide telling me there were changes to my terms and conditions. It highlighted a change which forces you to use a cash machine for withdrawals less than £30, but also stated it was adding the following to the T+Cs:

Their website has further details; turns out the upper limit is £500 a day although "You may be able to withdraw more than £500 at a Nationwide branch counter if you give us at least two full working days' notice"

withdrawal limits

I wasn't sure if there was an upper limit on it before, and I didn't know if there are any other banks with an upper limit either. Anyone know of any more?

It does seem sensible to restrict hard cash withdrawals to limit the effects of a run and prevent them running out of £20 notes in branch, however I thought Nationwide were a lot safer than NR, B+B etc so wouldn't have expected them needing to put anti-run terms in place.

They are not 'anti-run' terms. There has always been a limit on how much cash you can withdraw on demand from any bank. If you want a lot of cash it is reasonable for them to ask for notice to get the cash delivered. They don't keep a mountain of cash in the bank's safe just in case someone comes in and demands 100k in cash.

Interesting though that if you have a large sum on deposit it is actually quite a performance getting hold of it in cash. Easy to write a cheque and move it around - but, of course, it ends up in another bank then.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

>>>

Personally, I ask questions, then catch contradictions that they gave me, so the easy way out for them to save face is to do what I want them to do.

HOLA4421
What do you do when the teller looks at you funny, then gets her supervisor, who looks at you funny, then tells you sorry matey it's not policy, and waits for you to leave?

Have them declared bankrupt and order bailiffs to seize assets to the value of the money you have deposited with them.

No, really, if the banks refuses to give you back your cash, you can have them declared bankrupt. Then can apply rules requiring you to give them notice, but with a few days notice, they HAVE to be able to provide the cash. They'll informthe police and the taxman though, and make you sign a lot of huge disclaimers along the lines of "If I get mugged I promised not to sue the bank".

HOLA4422
Not too bad if banks had it in place a year ago then. Was it a response to NR or have these limits always been in place? e.g. were people queueing all day to draw £500/£1000 in cash from NR last year?!

Most banks, as far as I'm aware have daily withdrawal limits on personal accounts. There seem to be less restrictions on busines accounts though.

Northern Rock has always had a £500 limit on personal current accounts.

HOLA4423
Then can apply rules requiring you to give them notice, but with a few days notice, they HAVE to be able to provide the cash. They'll informthe police and the taxman though, and make you sign a lot of huge disclaimers along the lines of "If I get mugged I promised not to sue the bank".

Yes, they have to give you it if you have complied with the notice period but thery won't involve the police because you have committed no crime so it's none of their business. Neither will they inform the tax man as it's none of his business either. They won't make you sign any disclaimers regarding you beign mugged - once it's in your possession it's your responsibility. You are hardly goign to be too successful in suing a bank for something that was nothing to do with them.

HOLA4424
Nationwide do seem fairly strict with money. they wouldn't even give me a cheque book when I asked for one a few years ago!

Dop you have a bad credit history or have you been bankrupt? You aren't even allowed one if you are a current bankrupt

HOLA4425