House Price Crash Forum

An Ea Has Just Told Me That 'asking Prices Are Irrelevant In This Market'

tatty

HOLA441

Registered on rightmove as a potential buyer this morning and jusy had my first begging call.

When I told her my frankly ludicrous house/price requirements there was much sucking of teeth.

Until I told her I was about to move in to rented after selling mine at which point she threw out the 'asking prices are irrelevant' line.

I'm not going to buy for 12 to 18 months of course but it that time I can wage a one man war on vendors in the area smashing their expectations with brutally low offers. :lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'd like to do the same but I know my wife would just fall in love with one of those places we viewed and have a massive cob-on of we didn't get it...not a strong bargaining point.

Maybe I'll do it alone just to give vendors a reality check - although I think they're slowly getting the message. ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445
I'd like to do the same but I know my wife would just fall in love with one of those places we viewed and have a massive cob-on of we didn't get it...not a strong bargaining point.

Maybe I'll do it alone just to give vendors a reality check - although I think they're slowly getting the message. ;)

Yes I know what you mean...being a woman myself..but to be honest..I only ever saw one house I was sorry about that it went really..the rest was just ok.

HOLA446
Until I told her I was about to move in to rented after selling mine at which point she threw out the 'asking prices are irrelevant' line.

I've been given this line by several estate agents. I always tell them that the asking price is relevant and that I take a ridiculous asking price as a signal that the vendor is in denial and it's not worth trying to negociate with them. High asking prices now are insulting and a waste of everyone's time.

HOLA447

Asking prices have been 'irrelevant' for a while now because they are a figment of the agents immagination. If they were relevant we would not be in the mess we are in now.

Just for the record, my partner and I have also been doing the same. We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40%. Initially the agents just laughed at us or got annoyed and would not show any more properties. They told us they would put the offer forward because they were legally required to do so but that they would recommend to their client not to accept.

However this has changed over the last few weeks. Agents are very keen to please and are seriously putting the offers forward AND trying to persuade the buyers to take the offer.

Yesterday one agent even asked if we would take the time to come to their offices and go through some 'interesting' properties with them. He said not to worry about the price tags as there were some real bargains to be had and we could negotiate. I am not ready to buy yet but I am so loving this journey :P

If everyone on this forum did this I am sure we would knock some sense into the agents and the sellers and bring the property market to a sensible level quickly.

HOLA448
I've been given this line by several estate agents. I always tell them that the asking price is relevant and that I take a ridiculous asking price as a signal that the vendor is in denial and it's not worth trying to negociate with them. High asking prices now are insulting and a waste of everyone's time.

Good for you, if asking prices are irrelevant then why don't the buggers drop them?

HOLA449
Asking prices have been 'irrelevant' for a while now because they are a figment of the agents immagination. If they were relevant we would not be in the mess we are in now.

Just for the record, my partner and I have also been doing the same. We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40%. Initially the agents just laughed at us or got annoyed and would not show any more properties. They told us they would put the offer forward because they were legally required to do so but that they would recommend to their client not to accept.

However this has changed over the last few weeks. Agents are very keen to please and are seriously putting the offers forward AND trying to persuade the buyers to take the offer.

Yesterday one agent even asked if we would take the time to come to their offices and go through some 'interesting' properties with them. He said not to worry about the price tags as there were some real bargains to be had and we could negotiate. I am not ready to buy yet but I am so loving this journey :P

If everyone on this forum did this I am sure we would knock some sense into the agents and the sellers and bring the property market to a sensible level quickly.

:lol:

Just tell us again, because I find it hard to believe!

You are viewing properties in the 600K-800k range and offer something like 210K to 320K?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Check yourself before you disrespect yourself 35 - 40% off 600k is 390k - 360k. And 35 - 40% off 800k is 520k - 480k

It's all in the wording - if they had said "We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40% OFF" I would agree with you.

As it stands e-motion is correct and quite respectable. ;)

Q

HOLA4412
Check yourself before you disrespect yourself 35 - 40% off 600k is 390k - 360k. And 35 - 40% off 800k is 520k - 480k

sayme did not say 35-40% OFF, but "We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40%."

It could of been meant either way, which is why I asked to hear it again.

HOLA4413

e-motion,

I will tell you again if you like but that is seriously what we are doing now.

"We offer 35-40% off properties currently being advertised at between 600-800k" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There happy now!!

Oh and by the way we try to pick on those that have been on the market for a while (and there are many to choose from) are already reduced. This just adds that extra bit of pleasure and hopefully drives home the message. It is no longer a case of the property prices being too high just that the sellers and agents expectations are a fantasy.

HOLA4414

Exactly what I was telling all HPCers over 3 years ago.......

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=12762

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
It's all in the wording - if they had said "We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40% OFF" I would agree with you.

As it stands e-motion is correct and quite respectable. ;)

Q

sayme did not say 35-40% OFF, but "We view properites (range 600-800k) and make offers at 35-40%."

It could of been meant either way, which is why I asked to hear it again.

e-motion,

"We offer 35-40% off properties currently being advertised at between 600-800k" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There happy now!!

Oh and by the way we try to pick on those that have been on the market for a while (and there are many to choose from) are already reduced. This just adds that extra bit of pleasure and hopefully drives home the message. It is no longer a case of the property prices being too high just that the sellers and agents expectations are a fantasy.

Ha Ha amended :P

HOLA4417
e-motion,

Semantics - you've just got to love it!

If something is vague, incorrectly spelt or grammatically unsound it is seized, ripped off at the shoulder and then used to beat you to death! :lol:

Q

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
e-motion,

There happy now!!

Thank you. It's clear you meant 35-40% off now. Your doing a great service to the market and I hope to join you in due course.

I do think you will get acceptance at that range if you make enough offers. Especially with the financial turmoil at the moment. Some people have become very pessimistic in the last week and if you find one of those people they may well accept.

HOLA4420

i normally go around looking at houses in Milton keynes where sellers are living in a complete dream world, i go on the first viewing and say yeah um yeah its nice etc and arrange a second with the other half then we go abck and look wait a few days.

the estate agents call us like mad for an offer and we just say sorry that is far to overpriced i think ill wait till next year when prices have dropped more.

lol they dont like it but im some small hope that the seller may thing yeah maybe he is right

HOLA4421
Thank you. It's clear you meant 35-40% off now. Your doing a great service to the market and I hope to join you in due course.

I do think you will get acceptance at that range if you make enough offers. Especially with the financial turmoil at the moment. Some people have become very pessimistic in the last week and if you find one of those people they may well accept.

Well if they accept I might buy!! (especially if it is 35-40% OF the asking price instead of 35-40% OFF the asking price)

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4422
Sorry guy's my mistake. I am trying to do this whilst pretending to work (don't tell my boss please)

It's fine I am currently banging my head against a local council policy and procedure brick wall. I will be glad when they eff off back to County Hall to spend another 6 months holding meetings and consulting as to where they want the light switches in various rooms. This goes someway to explaining my strange persona. :lol:

HOLA4423

Asking prices are always pointless.

I quite often have debates with those who are firmly in the 'But I want that £xxx for my house I will not accept less' camp.

I use the example of my Volkswagen car that is worth about 3k. I tell them I may put it up for sale for 100k. They tell me that is ridiculous.

I point out it is no more ridicluous than asking 10k for the car. There is zero chance I will get either.

Wanting 10k or 100k - no difference in reality.

Usually does the trick.

I find taking things to the extreme to make a point works very well with those who are brainwashed. Has a certain way of making things clear.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Well if they accept I might buy!! (especially if it is 35-40% OF the asking price instead of 35-40% OFF the asking price)

:lol::lol::lol:

HEY - Love this play on words!!

I'll be using this on the greasy estate agent

"its on the market for £500,000 sir"

"In that case, I'd like to make an offer of 15% ov(mumbled a bit) the asking price"

"I shall pass that on to the vendor sir, TBH, I think that there is a good chance of the vendor accepting £425k in the current market sir"

"Ah, I'm sorry, you appear to have mis-heard my offer, I will offer 15% of the asking price - £75k is my offer!"