House Price Crash Forum

Property Ladder

HOLA441

I can't help feeling that the producers of this series went out of their way to find complete idiots for the sake of making "great telly".

The people featured this time around are definitely dumber than in previous shows.

As far as last night's show was concerned, you couldn't make it up !!!!

Edited by fdk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

In 1910 miners rioted in the town of Tonypandy.

There was a Lord Tonypandy who was the Speaker in the House of Commons.

There is also a Tony in the House of Commons who should have been in Andy Pandy.

There is also a lying cheating smug friend of Tony called Mandy who likes young Brazilian boys.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Good point London loser - seeeing that all the Welsh Objective 1 regeneration cash has been spent on stuff like a rugby college, the 'voluntary sector' and 'training contracts' and the like... we need more Slater families - Regeneration Without The Subsidies!

If you're thinking about buying a run-down ex-miner's terrace and doing it up don't bother, call up the Slaters and they'll do it for you for the sheer pleasure of it and at no extra expense to yourself.

Tell them to put the bathroom upstairs/next to the toilet etc though!

HOLA447
Here is the Channel 4 Link for this property, showing a front picture of the property plus purchase price details.

Have just checked out this link. On page 4 is thanks to all the "suppliers", for example:

Bathroom tiles

Tops Tiles

Unit 1

Wylds Rd

Somerset

TA6 4BH

Tel: 01278 457230

Kitchen tiles

Dragon Bathroom and Tiles

Unit 15

Riverside Industrial Park

Bridge Rd

Trefforest Industrial Estate

Nr Pontypridd<

Tel: 01443 841740

Carpets

Mobile Carpets

34 Vicarage Terrace

Cwmtarc

Treorchy

Tel: 01443 778300

Paint and wallpaper

Decomate

63 Bute St

Treorchy

Mid Glamorgan

CF42 6BD

Tel: 01443 774791

Wood and building materials

B & Q plc

Ynysangharad Rd

Pontypridd

Mid Glamorgan

CF37 4DA

Tel: 01443 480851

etc.

In other words, all the stuff must have been supplied for free, or heavily subsidised by these companies. Does this mean the budgets are real budgets or fictional budgets of what it would have cost had it been done up as suggested in the prog? Or is it all a load of fiction?

Perhaps Ms Beenie could give us a "couple of pointers" in the right direction... ;)

Edited by Ah-so

HOLA448
Of course, PontyPandy....I'm still sure I've heard TonyPandy somewhere before....hmm.

Anyway.  Using Swervins idea I'e been scanning nethouseprices.  Now going with the assumption that it was in Treorchy itself (or at least by the land regs idea of Treorchy) I get these two possibilities.  Remembering that they had a lane at the back of the property too and it must have been facing Up the hill (three stories at back two at front), both look plausable as well.

55, Brook Street

Blaenrhondda, Treorchy

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF42 5SA

£41,000

Terraced

Freehold

Build status not stated

17 Jun 2004

2, Sunnybank Terrace

Treorchy

Rhondda Cynon Taff

CF42 6ND

£41,325

Terraced

Freehold

Build status not stated

06 Oct 2004

Sunnybank, looks more likely considering the dates.

Neither of these two have got a second sold listing as of yet, so....keep trawling the agencies!  No time left tonight, may try tomorrow AM.

Probably not 2 Sunnybank Terrace as there were houses on both sides of it, weren't there?

Don't Multimap do aerial views from a postcode? The property could be recognisable from the absence of lean-to and garden type (and general air of despair wafting above the roof).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

it has to be said this family clearly did not have a clue

who in their righ mind would employ a builder with no ref, and that could hadley speak english

Oh and building regs, come on this is all very basic stuf that anyone who has even watched the program at least once would know. Maybee they odnt have a tv because they spent all there money on 2 houses one of which they cant sell and the other on the btl

Theres is one tyhing, i can not wait till next week to see the next load of muppets do

HOLA4412
Guest rigsby II
Oh and building regs, come on this is all very basic stuf that anyone who has even watched the program at least once would know.

You are wrong.

Only muppets have building inspectors come round and inspect trivia like that...

HOLA4413
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4414

I live quite close to this house, and the house is still for sale. I am not sure how much the house is advertised for but when i passed it the other day the FOR SALE signs are still there. In the last month asking prices have dropped alot in this area and i can see it dropping further. So this will not be good news for this family.

Excellent news for me as im a 20 year old FTB with £20k behind me.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/proper...treorchy-3.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u...bmit_dosearch=1

Advertised at 2 estate agents

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-809...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-833...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Not totally sure on the no. of the house, just looked on autoroute and its suggesting roughly 70ish but im sure i seen a 20ish number as i went past the house.

Ynyswen road is the street the house is located.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Thanks dean_h,

Check out the description of the garden on the bottom link:

"Rear Garden

Patio and lawn area not overlooked with mountain views."

Pointing out things that are not there seems odd. How about:

The number 47 bus from london to brighton does not stop outside,

Franz Ferdinand do not play at the small local park on saturday mornings,

A free Bently with sat nav and extra large cup holders is not included in the price.

HOLA4421
Dean_H

Dont want to sound rude but how on earth can a 20 year old get 20k???

I was still in uni beating the books and swallowing cheapo pints.

Tell me this is inheritance or something to save my paranoia

When i was 14 broke both my arms due to idiot driver, compensation £12k.

Finnished my A-Levels, didnt fancie uni and decided to do a modern apprenticeship with Bosch in electrical/electronic engineering. Saved £8k in the last 2 years of my apprenticeship.

I have 2 years left of my apprenticeship and plan on living with my parents @ £20p/w heheh. Keep saving and should be able to save £26-30k by the time i finish my apprenticeship. Reason for me waiting is that i refuse to spend my hard earned savings on the overinflated prices in my area.

I could have picked up an average condition mid terrace house 3 years ago for £20-35k now im looking at £50-90k, even £105k FOR A MID TERRACE HOUSE. With jobs scarce in this area with recent redudencies, ftb'ers at an all time low, theres only one way these prices are going and thats down.

I am in no rush to buy but if i can pick up a 3 bed terrace in average condition which needs slight work doing to it for £40k then i will take the pluge and get on the property ladder.

HOLA4422
Thanks dean_h,

Check out the description of the garden on the bottom link:

"Rear Garden

Patio and lawn area not overlooked with mountain views."

Pointing out things that are not there seems odd. How about:

:D - rear window does not include a view of the hanging gardens of babylon, neither can you see herds of wildebeest.