House Price Crash Forum

Football And The Credit Crunch

HOLA441

Does anyone know if yearly transfer figures are collated and published?

Presumably these multi-million pound purchases are not bought outright and even the big clubs must some sort of bank loan.

And if so are they being affected by the credit crunch?

HOLA442

Presumably these multi-million pound purchases are not bought outright and even the big clubs must some sort of bank loan.

Sky recently put subs up for another year. That will keep the premiership's wheels going round. Once sponsorship/TV rights begin to wane only then will we see an effect in footy transfers/wages.

Its feasible that if enough people stop paying for sky sports then it might have an effect. Personally I don't see this happening due to the average Brits attitude to TV (i.e. it will be the last thing to go, along with fagz and booze)

HOLA443
HOLA444

I think the Premier League is protected from the crunch by the SKY and other TV deals that will have been signed.

It's where the money for the ridiculous and obscene salaries professional footballers are on has come from. I mean even mediocre players can earn more in a week than the average worker earns in a year. It's a bizarre situation.

The irony is the blokes and footy lasses scrimp and save to go and watch the footy, while the people they often shout insults at are laughing all the way to the Bahamas. I would imagine attendances will suffer a bit this year, as people tighten their belts. Though football followers have a certain 'mania'.

Will footballers be less ostentatious? Will the 'crib' thing die off. Will TV in general stop this 'look at my wad' voyeurism. Will SKY subscribers fall off (another thread seemed to think not; that they'd rather stave or sell their children). I don't/won't have SKY, if I want to watch the footy I go to the pub and enjoy the game and a couple of beers, which seems a better deal.

Edited by tinker

HOLA445

i think you can get them in those sticky little football card books that come with bubble gum and all the 'stats'

you know. the ones for children ?

HOLA446
HOLA447

In related news..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...reach-760m.html

Man Utd might be out of business soon (or at least downsize)..

That will give the also-rans a chance :lol:

HOLA448
I think the Premier League is protected from the crunch by the SKY and other TV deals that will have been signed.

As a whole, yes, but there are a fair few clubs carrying a lot of debt at the moment, so I wouldn't rule out a few Leedsesque falls from grace over the next few years.

HOLA449

i think the stats you need are on a mirror i won at southport fairground of Liverpool greats, on which was screen printed in red all the best football stats, inb etwwen etchings of gerrard. rush and the other ugly ones. and when you went to comb your hair a light sensor set off a digital recording of "you'll ne'bber walk w'alone." before a light came on and keegan descended onto the faithful in a helicopter piloted by bill shankys ghost.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
As a whole, yes, but there are a fair few clubs carrying a lot of debt at the moment, so I wouldn't rule out a few Leedsesque falls from grace over the next few years.

I would agree with that, some football clubs will be struggling with debt 'in the closet'. Image what would happen to Chelsea is Abromovich got bored and took his ball away. As has been pointed out 'profitable' Man Utd have been saddled with debt, as have Liverpool.

Yet the fans demand these mega-buck signings, oblivious to the business side of things. It could very well end in tears - one day. Come on you blues!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wouldn't agree with that, when ITV digital went under that nearly crippled the football league who'd already spent the money they hadn't even got yet.

However the clubs got out of jail as Sky picked up the rights again. However there is no one capable of paying the money Sky has for the football rights.

Man U have the largest debt, even though they are successful if the Sky money suddenly dries up they might be in serious trouble. It could be the lack of big transfers is a sign that Chairmen are getting nervous about their future income. Can't wait for the court cases when Mr Mediocrity demands his £50K a week from a failing club. You can't break a contract you agreed to pay me that, although I'm perfectly entitled to break it when club x offers me more money.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4414

As I said before on this forum, FootBall's Moronic and Sky are just perpetuating the myth that people in this Country need to be a part of something bigger than themselves or they are an outsider who is missing out on everything. Indeed Sky are the reason why Footballer's wages are so high, along with the sponsorship deals. But of course the MAIN reason why there's so much money in Football is because the general public in this Country subscribe to a service where they're charged by the match in addition to the monthly fees they already get hit with.

Not so long ago people used to listen to the weekend football match for free on the radio by closing their eyes and opening their ears. Now they believe that they MUST have Sky/Sky HD so that they can watch every blade of grass and spectators face in HD quality in the comfort of their own homes on their 46" HD Ready TV, (which only shows the flaws of non-HD Channels and non-HD DVD's) otherwise their life's incomplete.

There's an interesting book out called "The Silent Takeover" which has been around for a good few years now that details how TV Networks are used to brainwash and manipulate the viewing public through subliminal advertising campaigns, (just think, there used to be 2 commercial breaks in a 60 minute show, now there are at least 3). Anyway, Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation was one of the main culprits and he cut a deal with the British Government to avoid paying any of the £80Bn, (yes £80 Billion!) Corporation Tax he owed the Country by threatening to move his News Corporation to another Country and let the British Public know that the Government had purposefully denied the British People employment opportunities, thus losing the Government votes. Of course the British Government caved in a let him off with it, as we all know they're only bothered about votes.

So there you have it, Sky is saving £80 Billion in Taxes which we the Taxpayer have to make up out of our own pockets and all because there are so many people in this Country who choose to subscribe to their substandard TV "Programming" Service.

I have 3 words for all of you subscribers out there, "UNSUBSCRIBE! UNSUBSCRIBE! UNSUBSCRIBE!"

mspL4

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
As I said before on this forum, FootBall's Moronic and Sky are just perpetuating the myth that people in this Country need to be a part of something bigger than themselves or they are an outsider who is missing out on everything. Indeed Sky are the reason why Footballer's wages are so high, along with the sponsorship deals. But of course the MAIN reason why there's so much money in Football is because the general public in this Country subscribe to a service where they're charged by the match in addition to the monthly fees they already get hit with.

Not so long ago people used to listen to the weekend football match for free on the radio by closing their eyes and opening their ears. Now they believe that they MUST have Sky/Sky HD so that they can watch every blade of grass and spectators face in HD quality in the comfort of their own homes on their 46" HD Ready TV, (which only shows the flaws of non-HD Channels and non-HD DVD's) otherwise their life's incomplete.

There's an interesting book out called "The Silent Takeover" which has been around for a good few years now that details how TV Networks are used to brainwash and manipulate the viewing public through subliminal advertising campaigns, (just think, there used to be 2 commercial breaks in a 60 minute show, now there are at least 3). Anyway, Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation was one of the main culprits and he cut a deal with the British Government to avoid paying any of the £80Bn, (yes £80 Billion!) Corporation Tax he owed the Country by threatening to move his News Corporation to another Country and let the British Public know that the Government had purposefully denied the British People employment opportunities, thus losing the Government votes. Of course the British Government caved in a let him off with it, as we all know they're only bothered about votes.

So there you have it, Sky is saving £80 Billion in Taxes which we the Taxpayer have to make up out of our own pockets and all because there are so many people in this Country who choose to subscribe to their substandard TV "Programming" Service.

I have 3 words for all of you subscribers out there, "UNSUBSCRIBE! UNSUBSCRIBE! UNSUBSCRIBE!"

mspL4

I pretty much agree with you, yet I still have a Sky subscription, purely to watch sport. The only reason being that I have to take an interest in something. I don't watch any other TV now, apart from Peep Show. I haven't heard anything great or original in music for a while, and I'm too old to be going to gigs and hanging around with a load of kids anyway. Shopping bores me. I'm not a big fan of holidays, I resent the fact that from the moment you step into the airport to the moment you arrive back in the airport, everyone is out to screw you out of your money and make you buy things you don't need. I enjoy some cinema, but intelligent films are few and far between. As I say, I've got to take an interest in something, if only so I can talk to everyday people without boring the crap out of them. Sadly, people I work with, women I want to get off with, don't want to discuss fractional reserve lending, the Hegelian dialectic or Freud's structural model of the psyche. It is annoying that Sky pretend that everything that happens in football is

, but what can you do?

HOLA4417
I pretty much agree with you, yet I still have a Sky subscription, purely to watch sport. The only reason being that I have to take an interest in something. I don't watch any other TV now, apart from Peep Show. I haven't heard anything great or original in music for a while, and I'm too old to be going to gigs and hanging around with a load of kids anyway. Shopping bores me. I'm not a big fan of holidays, I resent the fact that from the moment you step into the airport to the moment you arrive back in the airport, everyone is out to screw you out of your money and make you buy things you don't need. I enjoy some cinema, but intelligent films are few and far between. As I say, I've got to take an interest in something, if only so I can talk to everyday people without boring the crap out of them. Sadly, people I work with, women I want to get off with, don't want to discuss fractional reserve lending, the Hegelian dialectic or Freud's structural model of the psyche. It is annoying that Sky pretend that everything that happens in football is
, but what can you do?

LOL, how true.

We subscribe to both Sky and Setanta and don't have a problem with it.

If I wanted to watch football in the pub and have a couple of pints during each match it wouldn't take long to pay the same as the subscription for pretty much unlimited sport. Even more dramatically I get to watch all this at home for the same monthly cost as a single Premiership ticket. And at the same time I get to spend time with my partner (who also loves sport) and baby in a comfortable environment while browsing HPC.

Seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Starcrossed

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

Looks like the Arabs are starting to recycle some of those petrodollars in the Premiership.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4652337.ece

Manchester City say they have reached an agreement with the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ADUG) over the proposed sale of the club.

ADUG reportedly completed the takeover late last night after holding discussions with Dr Thaksin Shinawatra and the Premier League club have now confirmed an agreement has been reached.

The group have already set Mark Hughes, the City manager, the formidable task of finishing in the top four of the Premier League this season, adding that they want to attract the world's best footballers.

Assuming this is a "cash" take-over it is going to increase the pressure on those debt-laden take-overs we have seen in recent years. The pendulum may be swinging from the leverage debt takeover epitomised by the Glazers at United and Gillette/Hicks at Liverpool, to the cash take-over by the SWFs.

Sign of the times.