House Price Crash Forum

Its All Going Wrong For Labour In Scotland

Guest Ian Chesterton

HOLA441
Guest anorthosite

Two little stories from the Glasgow by-election:

Brown rocked by Scottish revolt as four candidates turn down his personal pleas to stand in by-election

This is the guy who used to be the MP but has resigned:

Labour MP spent £500,000 of taxpayers' money running office from home staffed by wife

Half a million quid! Although if it means Labour lose the seat, it'll be worth every penny :lol:

Edit: Looks like the MSP for the area will be standing. A bad idea for two reasons - it'll force another by-election in the same area and it makes it look like Labour are treating the Scottish Parliament as not as important as Westminster.

Edited by anorthosite

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Quote : thecrashingisles

The word that something was wrong came just after seven, when Ryan called the party's central office. "It was a bit unclear, but he basically said he wanted out," said one senior source. The local party members decided to give him another hour. Calls were frantically made in an attempt to persuade him to stay. But Ryan wasn't for budging.

I wonder how much they offered him.

Perhaps a OBE/MBE/Sir?

HOLA445

News of a £256Billion Pound Construction Project announced by Scottish Parliament.

Work on the Rebuilding of Hadrians Wall will commence next week with the employment of 450,000 Bricklayers from Poland, Romania, Estonia, Turkey. The project that will take over four weeks will see the restoration of Hadrians Wall and an additional 40ft in height as ladders are aluminium and a whole lot longer these days.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Edit: Looks like the MSP for the area will be standing. A bad idea for two reasons - it'll force another by-election in the same area and it makes it look like Labour are treating the Scottish Parliament as not as important as Westminster.

I am open to correction on this point but I believe you can be a member of both.

HOLA448
Guest Bart of Darkness
Hadrian's patio remains only a manifesto pledge.

Shame, that would have looked nice in summer.

How about a Hadrian's gazebo, B&Q might do a cut price deal on a really big one.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Brown rocked by Scottish revolt as four candidates turn down his personal pleas to stand in by-election

Labour MP spent £500,000 of taxpayers' money running office from home staffed by wife

Half a million quid! Although if it means Labour lose the seat, it'll be worth every penny :lol:

Given that Brown and the Scottish mafia are essentially running Westminster there is less concern for their own country. That will change however and Brown & his fellow Scots will have nowhere to go. The last time the Scots had a clear run at ruling England was in the early 1600's and they got it wrong then too! Strange how the bottom line has come back again--the issue of human liberty and taxation concerns.

HOLA4413
Guest LongBlackKilt

A few words of caution on the by-election outcome:

"Glasgow Garscadden, 1978".

Of course, that was when Donald Dewar was an up-and-coming attack dog and the BritLabs had the political patronage machine firmly under lock and key.

HOLA4414

The real reason why Cllr. Ryan and Stephen Purcell turned down the poisoned chalice golden opportunity......

http://www.fan-hitter.co.uk/news/story.php...d721c02bd50139c

A small standards investigation pending (again).

Think the only reason Curran is taking it is that she has been told she is finished at Holyrood (I wonder who was the internal mole that leaked the details of Wendy's donations). She was the election agent for Mohammed Sarwar when the £5,000 bribe loan to an opposing candidate happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/304584.stm

HOLA4415
Guest KingCharles1st
The real reason why Cllr. Ryan and Stephen Purcell turned down the poisoned chalice golden opportunity......

Think the only reason Curran is taking it is that she has been told she is finished at Holyrood (I wonder who was the internal mole that leaked the details of Wendy's donations). She was the election agent for Mohammed Sarwar when the £5,000 bribe loan to an opposing candidate happened.

Sickening- isn't it....

HOLA4416
Guest tbatst2000

You live in Scotland right? Serious question - as a sassenach, albeit one with some relatives north of the wall, it's hard to gauge the mood of the Scots when it comes to politics. It doesn't seem like their going to start voting Tory any time soon, but are they really likely to kick Labour out of one of its safest seats in favour of the SNP?

HOLA4417
You live in Scotland right? Serious question - as a sassenach, albeit one with some relatives north of the wall, it's hard to gauge the mood of the Scots when it comes to politics. It doesn't seem like their going to start voting Tory any time soon, but are they really likely to kick Labour out of one of its safest seats in favour of the SNP?

Did you miss the Holyrood elections last year? ;)

My own seat (Edinburgh East and Musselburgh) had been 'safe' but the MSP stood down and Labour put up a bloke who was implicated in some snout in the trough-ery £200k pay-off at East Lothian council. So the seat went SNP.

Its a big ask for the SNP to take the seat but if more sleaze and allegations about Scottish Labour (and there is PLENTY more) come out, then why not? They've taken Govan in the past on a similar % swing.

HOLA4418

Good luck to the SNP

Labour OUT OUT OUT

My scenario for the next year...

Gordo is removed in a very messy putsch, probably this autumn. Oily Milliband is installed and then tries to cheat democracy again by saying the people must wait until 2010. The people and journos rise up and he is forced to bring the election forward.

Labour lose and the party are financially in meltdown.

End of Labour ?

HOLA4419
Guest tbatst2000
Did you miss the Holyrood elections last year? ;)

Yeah, totally asleep through that one. :) I can certainly believe the Scots would vote for a majority of SNP MPs, it was the idea they'd vote Labour out of a seriously safe seat I was curious about. Also, the history of regional parliaments in other countries suggests that it's not uncommon to vote for one party locally and different one nationally, which makes it even harder to guess what might happen if you don't live there and probably even if you do.

HOLA4420
Good luck to the SNP

Labour OUT OUT OUT

My scenario for the next year...

Gordo is removed in a very messy putsch, probably this autumn. Oily Milliband is installed and then tries to cheat democracy again by saying the people must wait until 2010. The people and journos rise up and he is forced to bring the election forward.

Labour lose and the party are financially in meltdown.

End of Labour ?

Nice theory. I think Labour are reaching their death throes. 'The Project' managed to unite them briefly but once they lose in 2010, the infighting begins and they will be in opposition for a long time to argue amongst themselves.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest anorthosite

I'm in temporary exile right now in the "deep south" (although I may flee to Germany soon to avoid the collapse of this country) but from what I hear the SNP are gaining ground all over Scotland. Glasgow's a bit different thanks to the religious pack instinct kicking in, but there's only so much they'lll take from an incompetent government.

There's a lot of people who have voted labour all their life in Glasgow. But labour have never been in power for so long and had so much time to disillusion so many people, so I don't think anyone can count on people voting as they always have anymore.

HOLA4423

All governments and political parties have their fair share dodgy characters and corrupt practices but the current labour party take the biscuit. They have compounded corruption and incompetance with deceit, breathtaking hypocrisy and character assination.

Labour not only ruined people's lives in their pursuit of power but systematically and gratuitously wrecked people's trust in the previous conseravative government. Now that they are being caught for corruption themselves, Tony Blair declares: "I'm sorry for sleaze attacks"

Having done so much damage to democracy, the economy and people's trust in government, Labour wonder why people no longer want to vote. Is this stupidity or arrogance?

HOLA4424

Many thanks for this fascinating insight into Glasgow politics. :lol::lol::lol: