House Price Crash Forum

Cost Cutting In The Ignorant Household

HOLA441
It's 30 years old.

I offer five pounds.

Or you can have this monkey butler.

Ahh - this seems to have got a bit out of control. You see, I thought the OP was joking - so I thought I'd enter into the spirit of things by specifying which ridiculously expensive (and I'm sorry to say, totally fictitious), extravagance I would be sacrificing in the name of austerity. Unfortunately I completely misjudged how many people on here actually employ staff, and seem to have picked a complete jalopy of a helicopter.

I also mis-read DYIV's post - I thought he was offering me monkey butter.

Edited by sbn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Ahh - this seems to have got a bit out of control. You see, I thought the OP was joking - so I thought I'd enter into the spirit of things by specifying which ridiculously expensive (and I'm sorry to say, totally fictitious), extravagance I would be sacrificing in the name of austerity. Unfortunately I completely misjudged how many people on here actually employ staff, and seem to have picked a complete jalopy of a helicopter.

I also mis-read DYIV's post - I thought he was offering me monkey butter.

Bugger. I'm in the market for a used Jetty :(

HOLA443
Bugger. I'm in the market for a used Jetty :(

WHAT? you need somewhere to park your yacht too???

Some people have got way too much money!

and notice how they're always mean with it too - first he's after an old helicopter thats seen better days - now he wants a second hand mooring point!

It just goes to show - you cant buy class

Edited by sbn

HOLA444
Hope you all have some sort of cleaning plan in place. I know it's caused more than a row in some homes when everyone isn't clear who's jobs' who's.

:lol:

relationships built on shaky foundations in the first place when you split up over dirty dishes.

unless, you know, they were - dirty dishes. ;)

HOLA445
WHAT? you need somewhere to park your yacht too???

Some people have got way too much money!

and notice how they're always mean with it too - first he's after an old helicopter thats seen better days - now he want a second hand mooring point!

It just goes to show - you cant buy class

Ohhh...touchy!

Nothing wrong with component times getting on, if you know a good maintenance shop. Thankfully, I do.

As for the 'class' comment, I'll take it you were joking. No smilie to back it up, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Oh, and '78 isn't that old for a Jetranger. I've flown older. All critical components are lifed, and so get replaced after a certain number of hours. Good machines frankly.

HOLA446
Ohhh...touchy!

Nothing wrong with component times getting on, if you know a good maintenance shop. Thankfully, I do.

As for the 'class' comment, I'll take it you were joking. No smilie to back it up, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Oh, and '78 isn't that old for a Jetranger. I've flown older. All critical components are lifed, and so get replaced after a certain number of hours. Good machines frankly.

Total pi55-take from start to finish! :rolleyes:

But seriously, I am seething with jealousy that you fly a rotary wing. Trained in forces or privately?

HOLA447
Employing a cleaner doesn't necessarily denote wealth, so much as priorities.

We have employed a cleaner and nanny and gardener to some degree or another for 30 years but always on a very average income. We didn't have holidays abroad, though, nor even paid-for holidays in this country - just decamped to relatives for a week here or a eweek there, on the basis that a change is as good as a rest. We decided that it was better to spend our money relieving ourselves of some of the daily chores so as to spend more time with the children, than to spend our spare cash on an expensive, once a year respite. It's all a matter of personal choice, not wealth.

Totally agree. I don't have a high income, but I'd rather do my own job for an extra hour and a half and pay the money I earn in that time to someone else to do three hours cleaning a week for me. This is more important to me than the luxury of owning a car.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Hope you all have some sort of cleaning plan in place. I know it's caused more than a row in some homes when everyone isn't clear who's jobs' who's.

I agree. In fact after some pretty robust discussion I banned the wife from all cooking and cleaning and only allowed her to do the laundry (not the ironing though).

I have a house cleaning system and cannot bear it being done in the wrong way. I do the cooking as my wife hates doing it. However, I get a team of gardeners and handymen included in my rent and we get some local chauffering around thrown in too.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Thinly veiled "I am rich enough to have had a cleaner and you aren't" thread, imo.

;)

were it not for th efact that he can no longer afford her! :lol:

I was thinking along similar lines the other day when I saw a report about pawn brokers on the One Show. It followed a similar prog, "the Profits of Gloom". In that latter prog, the broker opened his vault to reveal a 68k wrist watch. The One Show piece topped it with a 100k solitaire engagement ring. It occured to me that the chumps that rocked up with this gear probably viewed the process as just another (last actually) opportunity to brag about their (former) lifestyle. These idiots live their life according to the lastest fashion with absolutely no objective idea. It's exactly the same as Rosie Millard bragging one week about her Paree BTL with its Egyptioan cotton sheets, whilst bragging the next about her milddle class debt crisis. It's all rather reminiscent of listening to a piss-artist boasting about the size of their hangover. Pathetic really.

I think we are finally reaching the fag end of trickle down. Discreditted years ago, we now see that the only thing to have really trickeld down, once the hired help has left, is inflation.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4413
I agree. In fact after some pretty robust discussion I banned the wife from all cooking and cleaning and only allowed her to do the laundry (not the ironing though).

I have a house cleaning system and cannot bear it being done in the wrong way.

just as a matter of interest, you don't make the wife sit in a chair without moving her hands or feet until you've finished cleaning perchance?

HOLA4414
Well I had to get rid of the dog and the cat. It was really sad as I waved bye bye at the pet rescue centre. And the goldfish are going down the toilet as soon as the flakes run out.

What did you do that for you could have got some decent meals out of them? You are only paying lip service to serious cost cutting :lol:

HOLA4415
I agree with all of the above - plus the fact that in most cases the extra money going into the cleaners family budget will be greatly appreciated.

... especially when said cleaner is trying to make up the difference between his/her rental income and the btl mortgage they took out on the assumption that it was thoroughly natural and permanent for all kinds of ordinary people to have hired help. ;)

HOLA4416

It all started to go wrong when women were no longer classified as chattels.

HOLA4417
If both parents in a family of four or more work then having a cleaner is almost essential if you want to spend some quality time with your kids at the weekend.

Do families still do that? :blink: Guess my parents weren't that great :(

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Gardener is next in line. Reducing his hours next week. Amazing the number of cups of tea he was sharing with the cleaner whilst sitting in the garden admiring the view. Sometimes I used to wonder who was working for who as I weeded / trimmed.

Bit like the old farmer's adage: "Two boys do less work than one boy, and three boys do no work at all!"

HOLA4420