Scunnered

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

i dont think we'll ever get to the bottom of this one TBH.

We live in a world where artificial demand or a illusion of demand is created ever day, from a number of different sources from hedge funds, investment banks, factories, housebuilders, planning departments, knowingly and unknowingly.

People [especially gullible people] need to think - if they were a keen investor wanting to get a good spot in the development, would they seriously send someone they didnt know, through a third party, untrained, to make sure one of their big financial commitments goes through? i wouldnt, no. Even If I was the smart money with unlimited funds, I would make the time, and do it personally.

HOLA444
The crazy thing is that no one can afford to live here anymore. I think I said this before, but I've just been working for HBOS and pretty much everyone there was travelling in from other parts of Scotland. If the high paid financial sector staff can't afford to live here, who can?

Erm, anyone who's renting? ;)

HOLA445
Associate director of Savills Mark Coulter said: "I haven't seen anything like this since the height of the housing boom in 2003/04."

:lol:

yeh and you won't see anything like this since the Great Crash of 1929

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstori...ther.3738303.jp

You can post comments! Come on HPC'er's

Good idea to blog this around the net as a property ramping stunt.

HOLA446
:lol:

yeh and you won't see anything like this since the Great Crash of 1929

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstori...ther.3738303.jp

You can post comments! Come on HPC'er's

Good idea to blog this around the net as a property ramping stunt.

Such an obvious stunt. If demand is as high as the developer is claiming then the price is too low. Would paying someone to stand in a queue stop you from being gazumped anyway?

It really is outrageous that the local press is colluding in this. Some 'journalists' need to hang their heads in shame.

HOLA447
HOLA448
If it is legal to camp out in a tent on the pavement for one night why is it not legal to do so indefinitely?

If it is indeed legal then why are we all not doing so on a regular basis and living rent and mortgage free?

That could be a funny protest. Camp outside an estate agents and call the press and tell them you're staying put in protest at fraudulent prices. :lol:

HOLA449

I've just had a look at the website selling these flats. There's tonnes of them for sale - one bed places start at £150,000. Should be quite easy to see whether this is utter shite or not fairly soon by how fast - or not - they sell.

Given that it's pretty obviously ramping propaganda, I'm wondering whether a complaint to the PCC would be in order? It's one thing developers and EAs ramping and conning people into buying over-priced property. But when a local paper gets into bed with them to splash that kind of thing all over the front page as the top news, that's a whole new level. It would be difficult to prove right now, but given that we're heading into a downturn and folk taken in by that right now coud lose big, they should be pulled up, imo on something, either misleading reporting or under the financial journalism rules?

HOLA4410

having walked by the notices board of my uni in belfast i seen similar agencies looking to recruit students for this game - probably to actually buy, not for ramping, this was in 2005/6 when developments did sell off plan in 45 minutes etc.

Those ads seem to have disapeared..........

..... seem to be more places to rent now though....

HOLA4411

I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was true. But if it is, I think the investors in question might feel a bit daft when they realised that the rest of the flats actually aren't selling, and I would be very surprised if a large development of 1-bed £150,000 flats sold easily in this market. Surprised and deeply depressed...

HOLA4412
Guest An Bearin Bui
I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was true. But if it is, I think the investors in question might feel a bit daft when they realised that the rest of the flats actually aren't selling, and I would be very surprised if a large development of 1-bed £150,000 flats sold easily in this market. Surprised and deeply depressed...

Already in Edinburgh there's Quartermile, all the new developments in Leith (I counted about 7 last time I was there), a couple of small developments in New Town, a whole mountain of cheap-looking (but probably 150k+) flats built where Telford College used to be AND Fountainbridge. Yet no-one I know either rents or owns there or even knows of anyone who rents or owns in these developments. So who's buying them? Obviously not locals so the demand is purely speculative and built on the expectation of equity gains. It's fallen away already and they know it so the article is a desperate attempt to create artificial demand. It shows how idiotic EAs are: it's not the boom time anymore - no-one will want to be in a bidding war for shoebox flats anymore regardless how much they pay the media shills to ramp it.

I'm expecting a flood of this PR guff over the next six months as the desperate property fools try to get that long-awaited 'Spring bounce' going. I'll be studiously avoiding all Scottish media sources as a result... :rolleyes:

HOLA4413

I've just had a look at the website for this development (http://www.springside.co.uk/) and it's hilarious. Apparently yesterday was "the only chance to buy a home at Springside before the full launch in May". You could go along yesterday and pay £1000 to reserve one of the first 46 houses, but altogether there will be over 600 "homes" when they're finished. The cheapest 1-bed flat is £149,000, but is seems that the most expensive 1-bed flat is £355,000. WTF? Is it made out of solid gold? Two-bed flats range from £325,000 to £585,000, and they have one three-bed flat priced at £610,000. No wonder they were queuing up overnight with bargains like that!

I'm beginning to think that someone's just having a laugh and the whole thing's a massive hoax.

HOLA4414

There is no need for 600 new flats in Edinburgh, given the developments in Leith and Granton being half-empty already (or are they fully inhabited?).

Has anyone ever counted how many new flats (Leith, Fountainbridge, Quartermile, ...) will hit the market soon (and send it to the center of the earth)?

HOLA4415
There is no need for 600 new flats in Edinburgh, given the developments in Leith and Granton being half-empty already (or are they fully inhabited?).

Has anyone ever counted how many new flats (Leith, Fountainbridge, Quartermile, ...) will hit the market soon (and send it to the center of the earth)?

Have a look at the following renting site:

Lettingweb

Zoom into the new development at Granton and select 'hybrid' image. You can see that even down there they have only built perhaps 1/3 of the flats that will eventually stand..................

You also have the new development at Haymarket on the site of the NCP car park. This is going to have a total of 600 units !! Add to this the development up at the old Infirmary and numerous others especially down towards the shore and you have a massive amount of new build 2 bed flats being built in the City. I think there is a shortage of nice family homes in Edinburgh, but they will still drop in price as they are far far too overpriced. But I dont think they will fall as much as new builds. I do reckon you could be talking about 50% in some areas, whether the ESPC and the Edinburgh Evening News like it or not. :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Without a doubt

If they the EA's were clever they would of possed as potential investors in their recruitment of the students

Students if they were clever they wouldnt be colluding in keeping house prices artificially high, for themselves when they become FTB.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A2.1, Inglis Point

Available From £230,000

1 Bedroom, Ground floor

A2-0-C-L.jpg

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom? Alba gu bra! (Scotland forever!) (The Scots cheer "Alba gu bra" repeatedly)

Oh yes they can, by mortgaging your future.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
If it is legal to camp out in a tent on the pavement for one night why is it not legal to do so indefinitely?

If it is indeed legal then why are we all not doing so on a regular basis and living rent and mortgage free?

Is this a case of the police turning a blind eye for one night?

So, I can set up a nice comfortable tent with all camping equipment on the pavement outside the estate agent of my choice and just tell the authorities that I am queuing for the Great Property Sale of 2012.

HOLA4425

The stuff on Granton Waterfont looks like something out of a Philip K Dick dystopian nightmare. I've seen plans of some of the one bed flat too and they're specifically designed to be slipt into two as rentals - tiny bedroom on one side, lounge on the other with a kitchen and bathroom in the middle, so if you're renting it out you can convert the lounge to a second bedroom and rent it as a two bed. They're not built with any consideration for those who might be living there - only for the investors. Hence, I can't see anyone wanting to live there, and certainly not at the prices.

And yes, given all the developments going on there must be thousands due to come on the market in the next couple of years, and none that I'd want to buy (with the exception, perhaps, of Quartermile, but then I'm guessing they'll be even more stupidly priced).

Edited by Fergie