House Price Crash Forum

Media articles from THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

Guest Lagansider

HOLA441
I honestly do see your point but personally I found Churchill's post very patronizing and that annoyed me.

If I had of made Post #308 in reference to anyone who was affected by the crash then I think Churchill would have had a valid point. His post suggests that this couple have found themselves in this position through no fault of their own, which quite frankly is retarded.

No sympathy from me to the couple either - their greed was their downfall. However, doccy has had to fend off repeated bull attacks of late and allowing your post to stand (with the added swear words ;) ) would have smacked of bias.

It wasn't the message YoungFTB, it was some of the colourful language used!!!

fwiw, I seriously doubt Winston could have read the linked article properly :blink:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
No sympathy from me to the couple either - their greed was their downfall. However, doccy has had to fend off repeated bull attacks of late and allowing your post to stand (with the added swear words ;) ) would have smacked of bias.

It wasn't the message YoungFTB, it was some of the colourful language used!!!

fwiw, I seriously doubt Winston could have read the linked article properly :blink:

Go back and look at post 309. Poster had been a member for 30 minutes. Could have been a troll or plain couldn't read.

I would refer you to a previous post made by yourself.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...t&p=1653436

Fair point guys, I'm sorry. I was having a bad day yesterday but it doesn't excuse my language nor my abusive post. You were right to delete my post Doccyboy and thanks for pointing out my mistake P.P.

HOLA444
Yep Churchill is right, I'm just being nasty!

This couples misfortune had nothing to do with insane amounts of greed, no no! It was just bad lucky and poor timing through no fault of their own <_<

Look at it the other way - they prevented 12 fortunate people from buying overpriced houses at the height of the boom and losing years bogged down in negative equity. Lucky escape, people - I think we need to respect this pair's selflessness.

HOLA445
Fair point guys, I'm sorry. I was having a bad day yesterday but it doesn't excuse my language nor my abusive post. You were right to delete my post Doccyboy and thanks for pointing out my mistake P.P.

hey no worries; I've had my fair share of run 'ins on here, so I speak from experience! ;)

HOLA446

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

The European Commission predicts budget shortfalls this year of 11 percent of gross domestic product in Ireland, 3.7 percent in Greece, 6.2 percent in Spain and 3.8 percent in Italy, compared with 2.9 percent in Germany. The EU ceiling is 3 percent.
“Some countries are slowly getting into difficulties with their payments,” Steinbrueck said late yesterday in a speech in Dusseldorf. “The euro-region treaties don’t foresee any help for insolvent countries, but in reality the other states would have to rescue those running into difficulty.”

Moral hazard writ large :angry:

HOLA447
HOLA448

The Current Irish Government could possibly employ "Paul Daniels" the magician to pull something out of his hat, cos its not looking good over there, Maybe they could exchange Debbie Mc Gee for a few Billion Quid. Sounds like one hell of a trade in.

Its time to call Paul Daniels I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9XSptXF_A

HOLA449

Diary of Dublin over the last seven days

Lawyers continue to have a field day arguing case and contract law in the pursuit of trying to welch their clients out of property deals. This week Treasury Holding sues Harry Crosbie Holdings for failing to pay interim interest of €3million on a joint venture property deal that was due settlement last December. In turn Harry Crosbie Holding counter sues for €70million. Neither party may have a pot worth pissing in, yet the farce continues in the Commercial Courts with lawyers playing the merry dance.

Government and commerce certainly do not mix and Morgan Kelly in today’s Times spells it out pretty clearly. It is clear the government undertook no due diligence before guaranteeing all bank loans held in the state last October, bad mistake. However three months later still no proper due diligence on the banks and their loan books has been undertaken - yet €7bn has been given in capitalisations. Proper due diligence is only being undertaken now. It is akin to paying an over the odds for a car on EBay without even a photo, then on delivery noticing a missing engine.

To compound matters it is very clear that Dublin house prices remain floating on fresh air; yet again as part of the capitalisations the banks must commit €1bn to first time buyers with loans at one year tracker rates of 2.45% with tax relief at source increased from 15% to 25% for FTB’s. It seems the government are trying desperately to bandage a property market through bad loan provisions for assets that will likely continue to depreciate. These bad loan provisions will be held by banks with too many bad loan provisions already. Now what was that before about lax lending procedures and lack of regulation causing the problem in the first place? Compound onto this, the banks good hands has been tied again by more government intervention, namely bad debts can no longer be foreclosed - repossession orders have a 12 month moratorium imposed. Banks and government are now firmly tied together and both are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Their destiny remains at the hands of global bond markets that continue to constrict, but politicians pray and gamble for the opposite outcome. What are the odds?

Finally to give a barometer of the direness of the housing market, the government last October decided to offer a credit lines at base rate +.5% to first time buyers who could not secure credit from mainline banks. Despite lots of PR and numerous enquiries, after the first four months four people have formally applied. What an imitative to kick start the economy, unfortunately their latest tinkering to prop the housing market will cost a lot more lolly.

Maybe the Queen will take us back if we apologise with enough contrition for 1916?

Edited by md23040

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
She may have her hands full with the locals anyway!

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8926.html

quite a detailed article examining many aspects of the UK economy going forward over the next few years

read that this morning. sums up where the uk is heading if you ask me.

think its time to buy now the commodities i will need in the future

http://www.etfsecurities.com/en/securities...performance.asp

HOLA4416

a public sector strike could be part of the govs plan

just think how much it would reduce the wage bill

and those in the private sector will i expect have little sympathy for the bureaucrats with their indexed linked

pay, bonuses and pensions

or am i just too cynical?

rock on!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Good points well made, sometimes its hard to remember 10 years ago when TV wasn't full of property programmes, newspapers featuring property experts. Amazingly, all these VIs are still being given media time, trying to talk up the market.

Gary McAusland was on during the week talking about getting "property bargains" in the downturn. Hopefully the new financial reality will knock residential property investment somewhat on the head

HOLA4419

just read the first tbit

well well well...

from the article>>

Few will dispute that "the Irish media for the last 10-15 years have had a crucial economic stake in a rising property market." It is no secret for instance that in July 2006 the Irish Times bought the property website MyHome.ie for €50 million or that three months earlier Independent News & Media acquired PropertyNews.com, the "largest internet property site on the island of Ireland."

bit of digging

quick look on the site of Independent News & Media

n the UK (including Northern Ireland), the Group publishes the quality national titles The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. Londoncareers magazine is the highest distributed jobs magazine in the London area. It also publishes sports magazines in the UK.

The group also owns the Belfast Telegraph group, which is the largest newspaper publisher in Northern Ireland, with a unique metropolitan franchise and an excellent track record. It has two main titles, The Belfast Telegraph and Sunday Life, and is also the number one contract printer in Ireland, with a new state-of-the-art print plant constructed in Newry.

my posts on the bel tel are going to take a turn..

HOLA4420

it just gets better

heres the share value for Independant news + media

who own both the belfast telegraph (+sunday life) + property news

down over 90% since this time last year ...........90%!!!

http://www.inmplc.com/investor-relations/s...100&shares=

they own a lot of papers + jobfinder style sites around the world

ah well at least we have the news letter

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sc...ry-1649052.html

seems the money men have lost the faith in the septic pussy!

10 billon moved last week!

gonna be some hard rain fall on the bono boomers!

rock on!

If people are taking money out of RoI en masse it is a very bad sign because as they are eurozone,, it is not being done because of the currency (unlike Iceland). Hence, there can be little faith in the Govt.s promise to safeguard deposits.

This is getting worse by the day :(

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
A very good summary of the various issues facing the Irish economy here:

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/ar...e_1016011.shtml

A total mess! The emerging public & private sector fault line could be mirrored in the North very soon.

ah alls well

europe may ride to the rescue!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/e...nd-1651903.html

interest rates also get a mention

"Mr Weber said short-term deposit rates are also leading towards the zero rate and the rate the ECB pays for deposits is 100 basis points below the key rate, and "that rate can't fall below zero".

He also warned that as soon as the economic crisis is over, "interest rates will have to be raised quickly again".

Mr Weber said that while German inflation rates may turn negative towards the middle of the year, he did not see a deflation spiral and instead "we have to be concerned about inflation in the medium-term."

so where is this deflation gordon + boe keep forecasting?

was talking to a garden equipment supplier this morning

his words

the good jap stuff price is going through the roof

eg very well known make of strimmer

last year he could sell at 275

this year 375

needless to say he did not order as many as last year

who would have thought the unravelling of the jap carry trade and subsequent yen strenght

would allow the rough grass to grow in ballymena?

rock on!

HOLA4425