House Price Crash Forum

Protest March To London ?

ianupton

HOLA441

12th march 2005. downing st london at 3pm. - do you think thats enough time.? also it will be cold so bring a knife, cakes, explosives and kagool (in case of rain).

what to we want. - affordable homes.

when do we want them - now...!!

maggie, maggie, maggie.

out out out.

the buyers, united will never be defeated.

if your homeless and you know it clap you hands.

homeless - and you know you are.

...didnt we have a lovely time the day we marched to london.....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
12th march 2005. downing st london at 3pm. - do you think thats enough time.? also it will be cold so bring a knife, cakes, explosives and kagool (in case of rain).

maggie, maggie, maggie.

out out out.

...didnt we have a lovely time the day we marched to london.....

Great, have you told the papers yet? If the people running this site took this seriously and you could raise even a 1000 people - you'll get in the papers and on the news. Then it could be unstoppable.

HOLA443
HOLA444

This is real shoot yourself in the foot stuff. Think about it. What percentage of the population are owner occupiers? Around 80% is it now? So that's four people in five who will have no sympathy whatsoever and will simply perceive this march to be based on greed and envy, it has the potential to backfire badly. I could write the headlines now.

Particularly since many of the people on it wouldn't be people who can't afford to buy a house, but who choose not to because they think they wouldn't be getting value for money in the current market. By all means do it, but be prepared for an own goal.

HOLA445
HOLA446
This is real shoot yourself in the foot stuff.  Think about it.  What percentage of the population are owner occupiers?  Around 80% is it now?  So that's four people in five who will have no sympathy whatsoever and will simply perceive this march to be based on greed and envy, it has the potential to backfire badly.  I could write the headlines now. 

Particularly since many of the people on it wouldn't be people who can't afford to buy a house, but who choose not to because they think they wouldn't be getting value for money in the current market.  By all means do it, but be prepared for an own goal.

thats right blue lady. thats selfish people like you. but ive got some bad news for those people. their children will never be able to move out and develop into families as they should. its bedsits from here on in for the rest of you. if you think this doesnt/wont affect you then you are wrong.

the great british housing rip off affects all of us. this is a small island. too small for haves and have nots. there needs to be equality in everything we do. housing is one of those things.

join us bluelady. if people cant afford or dont have room to have children - whos going to empty your chamber pot in your retiriement home? single professional males ? (now thats another story)

HOLA447
thats right blue lady. thats selfish people like you. but ive got some bad news for those people. their children will never be able to move out and develop into families as they should. its bedsits from here on in for the rest of you. if you think this doesnt/wont affect you then you are wrong.

the great british housing rip off affects all of us. this is a small island. too small for haves and have nots. there needs to be equality in everything we do. housing is one of those things.

join us bluelady. if people cant afford or dont have room to have children - whos going to empty your chamber pot in your retiriement home? single professional males ? (now thats another story)

So why am I now being accused of being selfish? The personal attacks apropos of nothing around here are unbelievable.

I simply pointed out that it's human nature to protect one's position - if not, what are you all doing here? And the majority of the British public are homeowners who, on the whole, don't want house prices to drop because it's not in their interests, so a march will garner very little sympathy. It's called realism.

As to this being too small an island for haves and have nots - that's the way it's been for centuries, what makes you think it's going to change now? Particularly when it's probably got worse under the first Labour government in almost 20 years.

HOLA448

thats one thing i agree with you bluelady. its got worse under 'new labour' much worse.

im not having a personal attack on you. im saying dont think your safe position will protect you from the fallout of all this. you have to think about the country as a whole and what the general feeling may affect your own quality of life.

if were supposed to be so concerned with freedom and iraq why is this going on here in the uk to its own citizens.?

HOLA449
King Of The Castle,

From your beloved telegraph...

Research carried out by National Savings and Investments reveals that while wages have increased by an average of 79 per cent in the past 10 years, house prices have gone up by a massive 180 per cent.

It is simple. It has never been more difficult for first time buyers to buy houses than it currently is. Whether you want to convince yourself it is because young people are more greedy now etc etc is up to you - but it is wrong. Many reasons have caused this shortage of first time buyers, but the rampant expansion of the BTL market has not been an insignificant contributing factor.

What is happening now is that the market once again requires FTBs desperately to prop up this enormous pyramid and simply maintain the status quo. Unfortunately, FTBs were left behind some time ago and are simply in no position to buy - especially as the saturated BTL market makes renting a viable alternative.

What happens next?

It is really all rather simple as these things occur with uncanny regularity within our sado-masichistic property market. Prices will fall - a great number of the stupid/greedy/unlucky (or combination of) will lose the shirts of their backs and the market keep dropping until once again first time buyers find the confidence to buy their first home. You will find more likely than not this will actually be below the long-term trend.

All this talk of mouseholding, shared-ownership etc etc are the last desperate acts of a bubble gone wildly out of control and these things don't tend to unwind without a lot of heartache.

It was fun (for some) while it lasted but prepare for a hangover.

HOLA4410
King Of The Castle,

From your beloved telegraph...

Research carried out by National Savings and Investments reveals that while wages have increased by an average of 79 per cent in the past 10 years, house prices have gone up by a massive 180 per cent.

It is simple. It has never been more difficult for first time buyers to buy houses than it currently is. Whether you want to convince yourself it is because young people are more greedy now etc etc is up to you - but it is wrong. Many reasons have caused this shortage of first time buyers, but the rampant expansion of the BTL market has not been an insignificant contributing factor.

What is happening now is that the market once again requires FTBs desperately to prop up this enormous pyramid and simply maintain the status quo. Unfortunately, FTBs were left behind some time ago and are simply in no position to buy - especially as the saturated BTL market makes renting a viable alternative.

What happens next?

It is really all rather simple as these things occur with uncanny regularity within our sado-masichistic property market. Prices will fall - a great number of the stupid/greedy/unlucky (or combination of) will lose the shirts of their backs and the market keep dropping until once again first time buyers find the confidence to buy their first home. You will find more likely than not this will actually be below the long-term trend.

All this talk of mouseholding, shared-ownership etc etc are the last desperate acts of a bubble gone wildly out of control and these things don't tend to unwind without a lot of heartache.

It was fun (for some) while it lasted but prepare for a hangover.

Ah yes Rent Boy, there we have it. You are right on the money. It really is that simple. The only issue is............WHEN

HOLA4411
No assumptions.  Let me amend what I said to "Based on the evidence I have observed, it is my belief that all BMW and Merc drivers are tossers" - that do for you pedants?

Hardly pedantic! All of us are tossers, just because someone annoyed you by having a better car than you? What else did they do to upset you?

HOLA4412
Hardly pedantic! All of us are tossers, just because someone annoyed you by having a better car than you? What else did they do to upset you?

They cut me up and nearly caused a five car pile up. I hate the bloody things, which is why Mr BL was told in no uncertain terms that he wasn't having one the last time he changed his car, he sulked for weeks.

HOLA4413
They cut me up and nearly caused a five car pile up.  I hate the bloody things, which is why Mr BL was told in no uncertain terms that he wasn't having one the last time he changed his car, he sulked for weeks.

i hope you bought him a nice diesel volvo or possible white luton van with 'Rent my husband for £35 per day' on the side.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

just come in here

BM and Merc drivers are the most courteous usually! - they dont want their cars scraped otherwise.

Its those peugeot 206s that try to sneak in at roundabouts, I find bug me, and chaning lanes because they cant make up their minds.

HOLA4418

If people do not group together and participate policitically like this - they face the following possible future forces.

The BOE policy is to set interest rates around new Labours H-CPI.

This is a measure of inflation which more or less, strips out housing costs and rents.

For investors, this means, that if rents rise, house prices will shoot very agressively futher upwards, as investors can 'suddenly' get above 'inflation' returns - higher than interest rates, which are set on retail prices only. So we could have a spiral of higher rents and low financing costs from investors.

I am talking about the scenerio still taking place in many european countries like Ireland and the Netherlands today, where multiples are over 8 times and investors continue to recieve high returns with financing costs below (HCPI) inflation.

This is possibly the most seroius future threat to FTBers.

Investors are now in a very much in a better position than FTBers to buy, due to thier huge equity, and ability to absorb losses from thier cashflows, whereas FTBers carefully saved deposits hardly make a scratch on a mortgage. Also there is coming a whole raft of pension legislation, funds etc... which will see new investors able to purchase with massive tax relief.

So the market, in the face of tight supply (no building on greenfield sites, massive immigration and pent up demand) increasing demand has turned from a normal 'buy a home with a job and a mortgage' market, into a investors market - and this will carry on - as like Ireland its to do with the BOE's IR policytarget and the false measure of inflation which punishes the new rentier class to the benefit of the ever expanding landlord class.

Many ordinary home owners (like my aunt) have released a lump of thier equity and spent it on a holiday in Turkey with the kids, but now they are back down to earth and do not really care about the value of thier home - and they are starting to notice rising council taxes and little rise in income. So the false wealth effect is wearing off. Because they own thier home what does it matter what its worth if they cannot sell it. and realise that gain. She worries about own 3 kids now and thier future.

So there will be plenty of support - I am sure of it.

HOLA4419

Right, just to add my thoughts........

£40K is not a lot. I live in the South East and earn about £55K Basic, plus MAYBE between £5K & £30K commission.

My take home pay is approx £2300

Pond, I don't follow this. I earn a good chunk less than 55K and my take-home is over 2500 a month, even after paying health insurance.

What gives?

HOLA4420
just come in here

BM and Merc drivers are the most courteous usually! - they dont want their cars scraped otherwise.

Its those peugeot 206s that try to sneak in at roundabouts, I find bug me, and chaning lanes because they cant make up their minds.

Exactly so. Our excellent judgement of good engineering only complements our exquisite manners. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Right, just to add my thoughts........

£40K is not a lot. I live in the South East and earn about £55K Basic, plus MAYBE between £5K & £30K commission.

My take home pay is approx £2300

Pond, I don't follow this. I earn a good chunk less than 55K and my take-home is over 2500 a month, even after paying health insurance.

What gives?

Probably pension contributions - I put in 17.5%??? Also, dental care, travel insurance, life insurance, critial illness cover health cover etc are deducted from net income

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I simply pointed out that it's human nature to protect one's position - if not, what are you all doing here?  And the majority of the British public are homeowners who, on the whole, don't want house prices to drop because it's not in their interests, so a march will garner very little sympathy.  It's called realism.

But the sad thing is, the only people who need to protect their position is people nearing the end of being property owners i.e. people leaving the market - either to move abroad, buy down, or rent etc.

For the majority of people, high property prices are illusory wealth that simply encourages them to borrow against the equity in their house for things they would not otherwise buy. And, when its time to move up the ladder, high property prices mean they have to increase their mortgage by a greater amount. But people are collectively too thick to see it. I can understand investors wanting to protect their position but if you say to any property owner 'your house will go down in value by 20% in the next year' they look at you as if you have just said 'the earth has suddenly moved out of orbit and we will crash into the sun in 3 days'. They cannot understand that property prices can do down - even though they have - 3 times - in the last 30 years. And they cannot see it would be good for them if they want to move to a larger property at any time.

HOLA4425
Guest The dude
But the sad thing is, the only people who need to protect their position is people nearing the end of being property owners i.e. people leaving the market - either to move abroad, buy down, or rent etc.

For the majority of people, high property prices are illusory wealth that simply encourages them to borrow against the equity in their house for things they would not otherwise buy. And, when its time to move up the ladder, high property prices mean they have to increase their mortgage by a greater amount. But people are collectively too thick to see it. I can understand investors wanting to protect their position but if you say to any property owner 'your house will go down in value by 20% in the next year' they look at you as if you have just said 'the earth has suddenly moved out of orbit and we will crash into the sun in 3 days'. They cannot understand that property prices can do down - even though they have - 3 times - in the last 30 years. And they cannot see it would be good for them if they want to move to a larger property at any time.

Good post Marina...it amazes me how some people can be so blinkered. BlueLady is one of those people who doesn't know her own mind. She says things like how bad things are for ftb's and in the next sentence says she really sympathises with people who have recently bought.....am I supposed to feel responsible for people like this? MAKE UP YOUR MIND BLUELADY!! Why people sit on the fence regarding housing I don't know. You either think houses are overpriced or not.