• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Report on NI housing market predicts hope for first time buyers

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=86719&pt=n

First time home-buyers should have a better chance to get their foot on the property ladder in 2008 than for years, it has been predicted.

Conditions for Northern Ireland`s first timers promise to improve considerably in the first half of the year, according to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

It said with interest rates expected to be cut by the Bank of England in the first half of the year, coupled with the fallback in Northern Ireland property prices in the last quarter of 2007, first time buyers will be better placed than for a number of years.

The RICS believes there is strong demand from first time buyers who have been waiting for an opportunity to get into the property market.

Tom McClelland, the RICS Northern Ireland housing spokesman, said: "Asking prices are adjusting to the new reality and this will allow first time buyers to enter the market at more affordable levels and transaction numbers will increase.

"The likely interest rate cuts and more realistic prices that we are now seeing, means that conditions for first time buyers will be significantly improved."

Mr McClelland added: "Investor activity, which was at a peak early in 2007 is now greatly reduced and there is less competition for the purchase of properties in the sector of the market in which first time buyers are active."

I really wonder do the public believe this spin anymore? I guess there maybe some fools left out there, who are blind to the forrest of for sale signs everywhere.

'... it has been predicted.' PMSL

I predict: Interest rate cuts will be canceled out by the world wide credit crunch. This means banks will be extremely careful who they lend money too. So many potential first time buyers will find it very difficult to get a mortgage at all. If they can get a mortgage, it will be for considerably less than the price of typical first time buyers house.

I predict: Transaction numbers will not increase much from their current levels. The credit crunch again...

I predict: Prices have along way to fall before they will be affordable to first time buyers again.

I predict: There will be NO competition from investors.

I predict: The press will continue to print total ballox about the property market.

HOLA443
HOLA444
I predict : there will be a rush of BTLers leaving the market in February - March 2008

I predict : there will be 24000 houses for sale by the end of March 2008 in propertynews

I predict : that at least 2 more estate agents will amalgamate by June because of lack of business

I predict : that we are going to have to suffer more trolls as the VI's try to sicken us off this thread.

I predict : that we will see more property auctions and some of us will go to them to see what real prices are like

I predict : that a big developer will go into administration and also several smaller ones.

PropertyNews inventory was going up by 2000 in a month, at one stage last year, . Currently there are around 21,000 properties for sale. It has been sitting around 20K for several months. Estate agents have been telling several people I know - that autumn/winter is a bad time to sell. So there may be alot of desperate sellers who have been told to wait till spring time. Even at previous rates, 27,000 properties looks entirely possible, by the end of march. However, I predict :unsure: more than 30,000 properties by April :ph34r: I wonder if they will try to fudge the numbers to prevent large increases in the figures from showing up?

I think trolls are good for the forum. We can sharpen our teeth on them. :D There is alot of good information in this thread, but it is buried deep. Trolls give us a chance to bring the good information to the top again. Ultimately, trolling has the opposite effect, than is intended.

People may start coming here for another reason. I think we are out of the denial stage and many are already in the fear stage. The next stage is anger. People will be looking for someone to blame for what is about to happen to them. They may come here and try to blame 'people like you...' We just have to make sure the right people get the blame for this. And no, I don't blame the estate agents (though many will). Ultimately, this mess was caused by the government, BoE, FSA, banks and peoples own greed.

Edited by Belfast Boy

HOLA445
If I may join in?

I predict : there will be a rush of BTLers leaving the market in February - March 2008

If I may just add one word to this prediction:

There will be a rush of BTLers trying to leave the market February - March 2008.

If and when they get out it will be with much reduced if any profit. :P

HOLA446
Billy sold Uncle Andy's 2-up-2-down terraced house for £1 million pounds :blink: But Uncle Andy had re-mortgaged to put on an extension, underground parking and a heli-pad :D So they got £27-50 in the end.

I think he MEWed £10k to put on a nag at the races as well. Surprised he didn't invest in some tasteful sovereign rings. :P

HOLA447
HOLA448
It's a pity this thread moves so fast, that alot of the things we discuss here - about the Northern Ireland housing market - are so easily missed.

Previous topics :-

>Why are NI prices so high? (answer: debt)

>History of credit/housing bubbles. (all bubbles burst)

>House price/earnings ratios. (historically house prices are 4 times incomes)

>House price/rents ratios.

>MEWing (Mortage Equity Withdrawl).

>Northern Ireland's own subprime mortgage propblems (6x income, selfcert, 100%, interest only mortgages)

>The effects of the credit crunch on Northern Ireland.

>Buy-to-let portfolios and leveraging.

>Other housing markets - RoI, America, Spain, France, Japan, etc. (again: all bubbles burst)

>Bubble psychology (denial, fear, anger, dispair, acceptance).

... but you try finding them :blink: This thread's is a victim of it's own success.

... and I probably missed alot :unsure:

At the very least we need our own sub forum so all this important info can be pinned at the top of a sub forum so new visitors can read it all. What do you think? Perhaps we could ask the moderators if this could be done.

For anyone new visiting this thread it's rather intimidating, no one is going to read 400 pages nor do they really need to because the important info probably takes up about 10 pages in total.

HOLA449

Tom McClelland, the RICS Northern Ireland housing spokesman. This guy has been busy giving interviews - UTV yesterday, Belfast Telegraph and Newsletter today.

Is he the same person as Thomas McClelland who is a partner in McClelland and Salter Estate Agents in Lisburn?

NEWSFLASH: Estate Agent says it is a good time for first time buyers to get onto the property ladder! <_<

The spin factory is about to start full production. Though, I really doubt people will believe them. <_<

I liked that article doccyboy posted from the Irish Independent:-

House prices keep tumbling as buyers opt to wait and see.

By Treacy Hogan

Friday December 28 2007

HOUSE prices are continuing to fall as far fewer people are prepared to take out crippling mortgages.

... due to the world wide credit crunch, banks are no longer able to offer everyone and their granny, crippling mortgages! Would that not be more accurate? <_<

Edited by Belfast Boy

HOLA4410
... due to the world wide credit crunch, banks are no longer able to offer everyone and their granny, crippling mortgages! Would that not be more accurate? <_<

I think it's a bit of both. Certainly just about everyone in NI knows that the housing game is well and truly up. Without the carrot of ever increasing house prices, most people really aren't willing to put themselves in debt slavery any more.

It helps that for the truly clueless they can no longer get said mortgages from the banks too, though :P

If by some miracle a round of severe interest rate slashing and wage inflation were to create the right conditions, I wouldn't be surprised to see people being dumb enough to get back onto the HPI bandwagon though. However, once this thing really starts to bite as it will in the coming year I'm pretty confident that we'll see an ingrained aversion to property speculation amongst the general population which will likely last a decade at least.

HOLA4411

Its certainly stand-off mode at the moment, but I get the feeling that the dam is beginning to crack. As soon as we head into Spring, the panic will start. There must be hundreds of flippers/speculators/developers who are having a very uncomfortable Christmas. I, for one am looking forward to watching what utter nonsense the VIs sprout when prices are in freefall.

I just hope another interest rate cut doesn't steer Titanic off its course. Crippling debt is the last thing anyone needs

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Nice reading, Doccyboy. Damn, I missed those posts and their "alleged remarks" I do look forward to hearing more "factual discussion" in the future. A pity the housing situation has us whispering like this anyway.

I was speaking to someone at work this week who also confirmed that the Balmoral clinic was allegedly in financial difficulties. Seems to be a bit of an open secret in some circles. I will make further enquiries

HOLA4414
Just reading a thread on main board about houses dropping 70% in London. A friend told me that the house I mentioned a few posts ago was selling a few years ago at 55k. That would be about a 70% drop in prices here to bring it back to that level. Since wages in the area are about 16k then this would be 3.5 times average salary. Its a scary thought that prices could drop that much but is it insane that they rose so high in the first place?

I think it is only a scary thought if you are a developer or an investor. A 70% drop in house prices would be welcomed by tens of thousands in Northern Ireland because it would given them a decent opportunity of owning their own home.

It's probably for the best that we stick with the facts from now on.

Got your wish then YoungFTB :P

Excellent!

Thanks HPC mods!

It'll probably take a while for everyone to start using our new sub forum

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=52

I'll try and dig up all the important info in this thread over the next few days and hopefully we can make that info into seperate threads to be pinned at the top of the sub forum

HOLA4415

Regarding the Titanic Quarter - I am sure that this development will be fine, after all, the NI housing market is totally unsinkable, we don't need to think about providing lifeboats in case it does!! In fact we dont need to concern ourselves with any of the underlying fundamentals at all, because, well - its UNSINKABLE stupid!

And sure, nothing bad could ever happen to something called Titanic - could it??

Oh uh - did i just see an iceberg??

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Happy New Year everyone.

Farewell main thread, we had a good run but all good things come to an end.

It should be easier to keep track now if visiting less frequently.

I'll really miss you all. This is a fantastic thread which I'd look in on ocassionally when I was looking at other threads from nearer home (Cambridge).

It's going to be really difficult keeping track of what's happening locally over the whole country now that we have to visit 12 different forums instead of 1.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
and lets hope we all see house price increases like we all did in 2007

Do you really think that's going to happen? Or are you joking?

Most people on here are hoping for prices to come down to affordable levels again.

Prices are falling in America, Republic of Ireland and Spain. Their housing bubbles have burst. Our housing bubble will burst too.

If investors avoid housing and prices stay out of reach of first time buyers; then we will have a house price crash.

We should know by March exactly what is going to happen.

HOLA4423

Did anyone see on BBC news reports that now is a god time to buy and that the lower house prices will attract workers back to NI?

They interviewed two people who left NI and are now back working and saying that things are looking up - one was a SOLICITOR and the other was a DIRECTOR. Not exactly a balanced sample of the working population. Those pair must earn much much more that the majority of people so it was totally biased and yet more ridiculus crap from the BBC.

HOLA4424
I read yesterday quotes from Grapevine, Sold to rent and Superbrugh discussing Derek Harrison and Joyce Estate Agents.

You are completely wrong in the allegations that you say you can "confirm" - and the Police have been notified and presented with copies of your postings.

Perhaps you should spend less time telling lies and spreading malicious rumours, and more time wondering when the police will come calling for you...

:angry:

Happy new year to you Lizzy....we all know you're still reading this thread ;) was santa good to you this year...were you a good girl :lol:

Edited by subby

HOLA4425