House Price Crash Forum

******* Family

HOLA441
Guest X-QUORK

More relevant education !!!!!!!!!!!!! What the feck does that mean?

Improved capability !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of you are pretty low down in the literacy and numeracy departments. I see in the paper today a huge percentage of new teachers can't answer the sort of basic questions once found in the eleven plus.

And you're useless in other ways. By the time I was 17 I could take a car engine apart and rebuild it. I used to build my own radios and amplifiers. By the time I was 11 I could make one good bike from a few old ones.

Better educated, more capable !!!!!!!!!! Please, we've seen to it you are daft and gullible so you have to keep renting houses forever.

Oooh, get her!!!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Improved capability !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of you are pretty low down in the literacy and numeracy departments. I see in the paper today a huge percentage of new teachers can't answer the sort of basic questions once found in the eleven plus.

And you're useless in other ways. By the time I was 17 I could take a car engine apart and rebuild it. I used to build my own radios and amplifiers. By the time I was 11 I could make one good bike from a few old ones.

Better educated, more capable !!!!!!!!!! Please, we've seen to it you are daft and gullible so you have to keep renting houses forever.

That's because the 11 plus exams probably involved stuff like calculating the surface area of a farthing in square furlongs. I doubt most of the feckless ipod owning young even know what a farthing is.

By the time I was 17 I could take a computer apart and rebuild it (I have no interest in cars). By the time I was 11 I too could make one good bike from a bunch of old ones.

I agree though. I doubt people are any more capable than they were a few decades ago - just differently abled ;)

Edited by greencat

HOLA445

"Renting is dead money"

Ask them if it would still be dead money if the rent was £5 a month. Then ask them where to draw the line. If they can't answer that question they are not qualified to tell you how to spend you money.

Your reasoning is quite sound, but does not always work. A friend of mine had a great flat at dirt cheap rent in a well-positioned part of London. He felt he had no incentive to buy. However, in a few years the price of flats doubled and he was then unable to afford what he was once able, and no longer in the great flat due to the emergence of a couple of kids.

He missed out on the chance to make a large leveraged gains that far outweighed the costs of savings on gettting a mortgage. He is still in rented accomodation.

In this case it could be logical to pass up the chance to pay £5 p/m rent.

HOLA446

What amazes me is when people buy a house they think they own it even if they have a 100% IO mortgage. They seem blissfully unaware that in actual fact the bank owns it and their rent is the IO mortgage and sleep safe in the false knowledge that the value of property always goes up. Unfortunately though any costly repairs and maintenance are their problem and any potential fall in the value of their property is their problem aswell. If you stand back and look at the recent huge capital gains over the last 7 years and the pitiful rise in the average wage then it's pretty plain to see that the chances of future huge capital rises are pretty small but conversly the chances of a fall are pretty favourable. So the new homeowner is hedging all their money on prices going up.

For the renter we have a 2 way bet, prices falling but also prices stagnating we are not responsible for repairs and maintenance for the property, we can still continue to save (hopefully) due to rental prices being reasonable and we can turn on a sixpence when the market moves downwards or even in terms of relocation for employment purposes.

Now, where would you rather be? Do your homework, don't follow the sheeple. Yes it will be hard but hopefully you'll look back on this and it could be the best decision that you ever made.

HOLA447

That's because the 11 plus exams probably involved stuff like calculating the surface area of a farthing in square furlongs. I doubt most of the feckless ipod owning young even know what a farthing is.

By the time I was 17 I could take a computer apart and rebuild it (I have no interest in cars). By the time I was 11 I too could make one good bike from a bunch of old ones.

I agree though. I doubt people are any more capable than they were a few decades ago - just differently abled ;)

I've never been good at manual jobs, pretty useless at academic stuff. Useless with computers and the new fangled gadgetry.

Luckily I've got good looks, charm and big feet.

HOLA448

It means we're better than everyone else. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it sounds good.

That's nothing, I could make a car from a fish tank, a bike from an orange, and an amplifier from a window. I built my house out of rice cakes you know.

I don't reckon it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Your reasoning is quite sound, but does not always work. A friend of mine had a great flat at dirt cheap rent in a well-positioned part of London. He felt he had no incentive to buy. However, in a few years the price of flats doubled and he was then unable to afford what he was once able, and no longer in the great flat due to the emergence of a couple of kids.

He missed out on the chance to make a large leveraged gains that far outweighed the costs of savings on gettting a mortgage. He is still in rented accomodation.

In this case it could be logical to pass up the chance to pay £5 p/m rent.

Please stop talking sense - it is not welcome here.

QUOTE(Marina @ Aug 15 2006, 11:43 AM)

It means we're better than everyone else. Better at what? At being good little boys and girls? At working hard to pay your landlord's rent on time? At not minding that you have been priced out of property ownership and are happy to wait forever for a market correction so a hand will come down to haul you onto the property ladder?

Yeah, but it sounds good.

That's nothing, I could make a car from a fish tank, a bike from an orange, and an amplifier from a window. I built my house out of rice cakes you know. And there was me under the impression you were still renting.

I don't reckon it. I do, this government has you all running scared of the thought police.

Edited by Marina

HOLA4411

Good argument I've developed recently.

I can't say whether or not there will be an HPC but due to the huge number of newbuild flats etc (ie FTB property), this part of the market is the most vulnerable and could well fall even if other values hold up.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Unfortunately fixing cars and building bikes will only get you low paid jobs. Making stuff (manufacturing) is a dead industry in this country. All the money is made in services and soft skills so this is what people try and do. So every one is into Media etc.

I agree this is all a load of ******** I am also of the build a car/computer at 17 mind set and I believe these are far more useful than picking a colour for the back ground. But it ain't something I will get rewarded for in this society.

HOLA4414

By the age of 13 I could strip down and rebuild an A-Series engine and gearbox. At 15 I built my first FM radio, by the age of 18 I could solve Maxwell’s equations, at 22 I was designing test equipment for a small company by the name of IBM.

I've also designed a vast number of chips in electronic equipment that most people take for granted in their daily lives, enabling technologies such as mobile communications, the internet, and even some life-science equipment.

I have a degree in electronics engineering, a masters in telecommunications micro-electronics, 16 years of work experience behind me; I earn close to £50K and still can't buy at these prices.

Therefore we can conclude it’s not down to poor or even superior education, it’s more a question of demographics, economics, greed and the selfish nature of the few verses the needs of the many.

Btw there are many engineers in Cambridge in the same position. :(

Rut…

HOLA4415

Unfortunately fixing cars and building bikes will only get you low paid jobs. Making stuff (manufacturing) is a dead industry in this country. All the money is made in services and soft skills so this is what people try and do. So every one is into Media etc.

I agree this is all a load of ******** I am also of the build a car/computer at 17 mind set and I believe these are far more useful than picking a colour for the back ground. But it ain't something I will get rewarded for in this society.

True - and strangely enough I don't work in the making stuff (except photons and electrical impulses move about) business. I do occasionally wonder if I shouldn't have taken up the permanent job offer from my local blacksmith during the summer holidays after my 1st year studying Biochemistry at Uni though.

Edited by greencat

HOLA4416

A mate works for the AA as a patrol, showed me his p-60, £43K!

HOLA4417

Nice to know a quick angry post on here got some attention. Looks like the truth hurts LOL!

As its all very "you" and personal -

You could take a car engine apart and rebuild at 17? Bully for you. Not the best debate angle for you to pick though.

Piece of piss.

I studied pretty much the best industrial design degree in the world and create things that the likes of you take apart, fix and rebuild, per my instruction. Parrot fashion. Or is that muppet fashion?

You (Gen X) gladly take the talent/hard work owned by me (Gen Y) and repay in the special way only deviants do. Can't wait for the day you get violated by interest rate increase. Can you feel the timer ticking?

Edited by maker of things

HOLA4418

Nice to know a quick angry post on here got some attention. Looks like the truth hurts LOL!

As its all very "you" and personal -

You could take a car engine apart and rebuild at 17? Bully for you. Not the best debate angle for you to pick though.

Piece of piss.

I studied pretty much the best industrial design degree in the world and create things that the likes of you take apart, fix and rebuild, per my instruction. Parrot fashion. Or is that Muppet fashion?

You (Gen X) gladly take the talent/hard work owned by me (Gen Y) and repay in the special way only deviants do. Can't wait for the day you get violated by interest rate increase. Can you feel the timer ticking?

The most self congratulatory, vitriolic gob shite to date.

Give yourself another pat on the back.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well at least your landlord cant throw you out on the street at a months notice

kinda makes me glad that i got to know my landlord, made sure that she and her partner were in it for the long haul and weren't just btl shysters (they're as 'professional' as lenders of property can be - the house which we rent from them belongs to her elderly mother and the rent is used to fund her care costs) and negotiated a longer term contract for the tenancy.

yes, there are downsides to renting, one of which is the inpermanence of it. but if we were mortgaged to the hilt and sensitive to interest rates to the extent we would be had we bought in the last year that would feel just as inpermanent. and at least if the shit were to hit the fan in a rented property it would mean a couple of weeks of inconvenience. if similar happened in a mortgaged house the shit doesn't just end when you hand the keys over to the bank. indeed it might make it very difficult to subsequently rent a property were your house reposessed, what with your very visible history of defaulting on payments...