House Price Crash Forum

Not 2300!

dog

HOLA441

It is you're not your! I'm a bit suspicious about your claims to be a mankind saving inventor. I think you are just a bitter twisted saddo.

I think the 'mankind saving inventor' was your words.

If you are a doctor, are you sure that you are in the right profession? You don't come across as much of a 'people person'.

Edited by dog

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest muttley

I think the 'mankind saving inventor' was your words.

If you are a doctor, are you sure that you are in the right profession? You don't come across as much of 'people person'.

dog, you post a thread nearly every week about advertised non-jobs, quite often at 100k+. Are you sure you're picking on the right guy?

HOLA443

dog, you post a thread nearly every week about advertised non-jobs, quite often at 100k+. Are you sure you're picking on the right guy?

I am sorry muttley but many Doctors are tax abusers. £1/4m is ridiculous. The idea that a Doctor on £60K a year is free to do a second job is also ridiculous. In most private sector jobs, such a practice would be considered unacceptable and in many cases unsafe.

The Doctors at my previous address all lived in multimillion pound houses, drove expensive cars and had year round suntans. That doesnt sound such a bad life.

The reason that doctors are so well paid is that they run a closed shop. Why don't they have a nurse entry scheme? Many nurses are much better with people than many doctors. For example, this is what Phaedrus wrote:

I think you are just a bitter twisted saddo.

Would you really want to tell your most intimate secrets to someone with such a short fuse?

HOLA444

I am sorry muttley but many Doctors are tax abusers. £1/4m is ridiculous. The idea that a Doctor on £60K a year is free to do a second job is also ridiculous. In most private sector jobs, such a practice would be considered unacceptable and in many cases unsafe.

The Doctors at my previous address all lived in multimillion pound houses, drove expensive cars and had year round suntans. That doesnt sound such a bad life.

The reason that doctors are so well paid is that they run a closed shop. Why don't they have a nurse entry scheme? Many nurses are much better with people than many doctors. For example, this is what Phaedrus wrote:

Would you really want to tell your most intimate secrets to someone with such a short fuse?

LOL! Hilarious! :lol::lol:

There really are some jealous twisted individuals about. If you are so unhappy with your life do something about it. Instead of moaning and spitting your vitriol all over an internet forum, get off your backside, put the work in and improve matters.

HOLA445

LOL! Hilarious! :lol::lol:

There really are some jealous twisted individuals about. If you are so unhappy with your life do something about it. Instead of moaning and spitting your vitriol all over an internet forum, get off your backside, put the work in and improve matters.

oh dear, another thread turned into a slanging match.

where's the debate on house prices ?

time to switch over to Consa's site methinks :(

Edited by sign_of_the_times

HOLA446
HOLA447

Why is it doctors in the UK get paid the most in the whole of europe we must have the best GP services in Europe, I think not

Part of the NuLab trend to pay anyone in the public sector more than has been done in the past, together with creating lots of public sector jobs. The difference in my pay since 1997 compared to prior to it is very noticeable. I think it is just what Labour do.

HOLA448

Part of the NuLab trend to pay anyone in the public sector more than has been done in the past, together with creating lots of public sector jobs. The difference in my pay since 1997 compared to prior to it is very noticeable. I think it is just what Labour do.

sorry, have to ask Phaedrus, are you a homeowner ?

if not, why the hell not ?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I find it totally acceptable that a hard working business minded GP makes a lot of money. I think £60k for a basic one is laughable. It's far too low.

With the grades required to get into med school, you could make more money a lot easier by going to work in the city / management consultancy. The fact that people choose to go into a caring profession should not impact their earning potential.

Yes there are a lot of other caring professions that could probably use a bit more money, but medicine is the only one that is competing for the best brains in the country. Purely on a supply and demand basis, we need to ensure they are well paid.

Look at India for example. The flow of jobs to that region means that a low grade IT programmer in Mumbai will make more than a doctor. Well guess what, they now have a shortage of doctors.

HOLA4411

By definition then you think that France has lowwer taxes and less red tape?

Why would I think that? France has serious economic problems of her own. Recent attempts to cut red tape led to civil unrest.

HOLA4412

I find it totally acceptable that a hard working business minded GP makes a lot of money. I think £60k for a basic one is laughable. It's far too low.

With the grades required to get into med school, you could make more money a lot easier by going to work in the city / management consultancy. The fact that people choose to go into a caring profession should not impact their earning potential.

Yes there are a lot of other caring professions that could probably use a bit more money, but medicine is the only one that is competing for the best brains in the country. Purely on a supply and demand basis, we need to ensure they are well paid.

Look at India for example. The flow of jobs to that region means that a low grade IT programmer in Mumbai will make more than a doctor. Well guess what, they now have a shortage of doctors.

If a Doctor gets paid £250k pa (and it's a big if) then I make that about 5% of what Rio Ferdinand is paid. Puts it into another perspective don't you think?

Edited by nodumsunreader

HOLA4413

Decent salaries for doctors is a good idea, but paying them £1/4 million whilst nurses have to live in hostels (and I suspect that many nurses work much harder than many doctors) is obscene.

I also worry that a doctor cannot do two jobs properly.

HOLA4414

Decent salaries for doctors is a good idea, but paying them £1/4 million whilst nurses have to live in hostels (and I suspect that many nurses work much harder than many doctors) is obscene.

I also worry that a doctor cannot do two jobs properly.

The ones making that sort of money are running practices employing more than one GP and making a turn on their salary. They are taking the risk on building a practice big enough to house all of their staff and on them getting enough patients and work to accumulate the points needed in order to be compensated by the NHS. They are also doing some private work.

One minute you're saying they're working only a couple of hours a day and the next you worry that they have too much work on. Which is it?

After 100 hour weeks as a junior doctor, I'm sure it's a walk in the park in comparisson.

HOLA4415

lol comparing what a doctor makes and what a professional footballer makes - now that is a Sun reader arguement!!

sorry mate, 1 of them my taxes pays for (fecking loads), the other i dont contribute very much at all too (feck all) so not really bothered how much money people want to pay to see someone kicking a football around.

HOLA4416

One minute you're saying they're working only a couple of hours a day and the next you worry that they have too much work on. Which is it?

If you are paid a good salary (and £60K is a very good salary), you should give the job your full attention. The idea that you can take the money and then go off and do another job on the side seems highly questionable. In many industries it would be a sackable offence.

HOLA4417

sorry, have to ask Phaedrus, are you a homeowner ?

if not, why the hell not ?

No, I'm not.

I got divorced and sold the house as a consequence of this. I couldn't face paying double the mortgage to live in a similar house to the one I had just sold. I am renting a nice place and happy there. I have no real desire to buy a place, not really on my list of priorities in life.

If you are paid a good salary (and £60K is a very good salary), you should give the job your full attention. The idea that you can take the money and then go off and do another job on the side seems highly questionable. In many industries it would be a sackable offence.

GP partners(and I am not a GP partner), as opposed to salaried GPs, are independent contractors. They contract out their services to the NHS. How they deliver these services is up to them. If they want to do extra work that is up to them, providing the NHS provision does not suffer. Most of them aren't too fussed doing HGV/taxi medicals and filling in insurance forms. They do it because their patients require this service. It is not NHS work so they can charge for it.

HOLA4418

I think that's where we disagree. I think the level of intelligence required to do the job, along with the amount of training involved means that £60k is pretty poor.

I don't want the next generation of GPs to decide they'd rather work in the city.

The headline number of £250k represents a very small percentage of the GPs in this country. In any field you get over acheivers, and good luck to them. Much of that will come from private work, so it's not really your taxes is it???

HOLA4419

I think that's where we disagree. I think the level of intelligence required to do the job, along with the amount of training involved means that £60k is pretty poor.

I don't want the next generation of GPs to decide they'd rather work in the city.

The headline number of £250k represents a very small percentage of the GPs in this country. In any field you get over acheivers, and good luck to them. Much of that will come from private work, so it's not really your taxes is it???

Doctors make a big song and dance about how intellectually challenging their job is. If you go to some third world countries however you will find nurses and paramedics out in the bush doing everything from surgery to treatment of tropical desieses. Some of them are barely literate but extremely good at treating people. Doctors act out of self interest (sadly they are but human). I certainly give Tony Blair credit for starting to chip away at this closed shop.

HOLA4420

lol comparing what a doctor makes and what a professional footballer makes - now that is a Sun reader arguement!!

sorry mate, 1 of them my taxes pays for (fecking loads), the other i dont contribute very much at all too (feck all) so not really bothered how much money people want to pay to see someone kicking a football around.

Don't think that just because you might not subscribe to Sky or attend football matches that you are not contributing to the players grossly exaggerated incomes. Almost everything you buy these days has a premium attached to it that contributes to the % rake off that celebs and agents receive for endorsing products. You may think you have a choice but do you really? I stand by my original point that Doctors are not overpaid in comaprison with these people, people that you and I have little choice in financing.

HOLA4421

Doctors make a big song and dance about how intellectually challenging their job is. If you go to some third world countries however you will find nurses and paramedics out in the bush doing everything from surgery to treatment of tropical desieses. Some of them are barely literate but extremely good at treating people. Doctors act out of self interest (sadly they are but human). I certainly give Tony Blair credit for starting to chip away at this closed shop.

1) I don't think the western world has the monopoly on intelligence.

2) How do those 3rd world countries compare on mortality rates / life expectancy?

People in this country don't know they're born.

HOLA4422
How do those 3rd world countries compare on mortality rates / life expectancy?

Poorly, but that's primarily because of poor sanitation and easily preventable diseases, not ultra-smart doctors saving people.

Most of the increase in lifespan in the West has come from reducing infant mortality, improving sanitation, eliminating easily preventable disease, and reducing the rate that women die in pregnancy, not from super new expensive healthcare schemes keeping people alive longer (though we have obviously seen some benefits from that, if sitting around senile for the last decade of your life in a care home counts as a benefit).

People in this country don't know they're born.

Not when they're earning 4-10x the national average salary for sticking plasters on little Jimmy's scraped knee, anyway.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4423

Not when they're earning 4-10x the national average salary for sticking plasters on little Jimmy's scraped knee, anyway.

You had me there, I thought you were making a serious point. If that's what you think they spend their time doing, I can see why you think they're over paid.

Most of the posts on this thread are a fairly typical reaction to finding out someone makes quite a lot of money for doing a job they themselves don't understand.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425