House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Expose Estate Agents - Whistle Blower

HOLA441

Yeah, but can't HPC have a 'conference' with images of HPC members and how many posts we have made? Some high fives and a racing mini? Oh, go on. It just looked like such fun (NOT).

I think they meant to say it was Amway not Foxtons.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Winners and Losers

I think they meant to say it was Amway not Foxtons.

I thought I recognised it. It reminds me of one of those talking in tongues religious conferences, Love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and all your soul.....

Love Foxtons, the cheats, give them your heart and sell your soul and cheat of all mankind but do not cheat yourself, and loooovvee the Foxton's cheats....

Yes, evangelic.

HOLA445

What bits were your favourites?

Personally I loved the bit where that statement of "we have no such thing as price reduction hour" was followed immediately by the video footage of him saying "Monday will have price reduction hour"

:lol:

HOLA446

Personally I loved the bit where that statement of "we have no such thing as price reduction hour" was followed immediately by the video footage of him saying "Monday will have price reduction hour"

I loved the bit where they didn't actually rip off a 75 year old guy! :angry:

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Winners and Losers

Me too! Poor old Bazza was crapping himself. :lol::lol::lol:

Foxtons made T2M look tame!

HOLA449

Of course, it's not going to affect house prices at all, is it? :huh: My favourite was when she said she was renting and didn't know how anyone on an average wage could afford to get on the property ladder. Guess what WE CAN'T. Anna for queen!

Edited by Badger

HOLA4410

He actually said "As from next Monday we will do price reduction hour on a Monday night."

Perhaps he never got round to doing it on a Monday, but Tuesday, Wednesday........

HOLA4411

Of course, it's not going to affect house prices at all, is it? :huh: My favourite was when she said she was renting and didn't know how anyone on an average wage could afford to get on the property ladder. Guess what WE CAN'T. Anna for queen!

Strange I keep getting told it's all FTB's fault for not being able to get on the ladder. Apparently our unrealistic expectations of somewhere within 4 hours commuting distance of our work and larger than kennel is the root of our problem. Thanks Rachman for straightening me out.

HOLA4412
Guest Winners and Losers

Strange I keep getting told it's all FTB's fault for not being able to get on the ladder. Apparently our unrealistic expectations of somewhere within 4 hours commuting distance of our work and larger than kennel is the root of our problem. Thanks Rachman for straightening me out.

Rachman needs to come to HPC (for a real troll slating). What's happening over at PricedOut DBT?

Edited by Winners and Losers

HOLA4413

What a girl that Anna, why don't we send her a Card / Prize/ Cuddly Toy from HPC.co.uk.

Could webmaster print out a list of our user names in a really small font and stick it on a card

and then post it?

cas

Send her an email and ask for her favourite charity. Then make donations to that charity in her name.

Billy Shears

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I enjoyed it a lot, most of it was entertaining. Most of the Foxtons stuff was things you imagine might go on and seeing them confirmed some predjudices. A couple could have ended up over-paying even more than usual. Very Funny seeing the 2 bbc reporters whizzing around in their Foxtons minis.

Two bits were really shocking for me. First was the property developer colluding with 2 estate agents to swindle 50k out of an old bloke who had inherited a property. That was driving down prices for their own advantage. Even the vendor was being ripped off.

The second was arranging the false ID in order to get a mortgage. It would have been better if they had gone ahead and got a mortgage offer. I'd have liked to see more investigation of fraudently getting mortgages.

Was a great program overall.

HOLA4416

Quite a few crimes committed by the partcipants:

1. Obtaining by deception (fees)

2. Fraud (signatures, cut and paste)

3. Conspiracy to defraud (loan agents collusion with EA)

4. Theft (handbag and camera)

5. Forgery (passport etc.)

I wonder if the CPS are busy drafting the indictments yet?

And the public rely on VI surveys to let them know the movement of house prices? :blink:

HOLA4417

First one to ask - who taped it coz I missed it? is banned for 1 week!!! :lol:

TB

Post #60 from Homealone, I believe.

Who applies the penalty? :lol::lol:

More seriously, I wonder if/when BBC World is going to play this? I get that as a cable freebie. If not, one of the public stations here in Australia might consider running it. I'm tempted to send them an Email.

Edited by ajh

HOLA4418

Rachman needs to come to HPC (for a real troll slating). What's happening over at PricedOut DBT?

I seem to have managed to put at least one person's nose out of joint I see.

I understand that some people are priced out of living in a postcode or an area if they want to buy a family house on normal wages with no or small deposit. At no time have I said otherwise - however I maintain (and the anecdotal evidence on PricedOut does not go against it) that a LOT of people have unrealistic expectations of what they are able to afford and what they have to do to get it. I commented on people who thought that :

being socially worthy (teacher) in their own eyes meant they ought to get preferential treatment and they were delusionally thinking shared equity was a form of flatshare !!!

people who owned one property but did not want to sell it but were moaning about not being able to buy a house in the place where they live qat the moment and are paying a rent that's way under usual rental yields (and could not see that they were on a bit of a winner in that respect)

people who simply had not explored all the avenues but were bleating about it not being fair - which is not the same as being priced out or unable to buy.

I have real sympathy for people who genuinely can't afford to buy a house - where I struggle a bit is with people that want everything and they want it now - it's hard to right without it seeming like I am being Gordon Gekko, but the general gist is that a fair number of people on there want a good 'address' near work/family, good schools, a family when suits them (as opposed to when they can afford it) - they are not prepared to work their way up to it, starting with something that's a compromise. I apologise to those people if they are not like that (and I am sure they are not), but that's how their postings came across.

I do think that an awful lot of people have got a bit too consumer in their approach - again, on PricedOut, there are people who won't buy in an area, because it's not that nice - well, that's what people did in Fulham, in Notting Hill and lots of places and look at them now - gentrification is a process, you can start it off and help yourself on the way - I have very little sympathy for people who can't afford to buy in a postcode they deem acceptable but by the same token dismiss somewhere else that is in their price range as 'beneath them'.

I wanted a nice big pile in the stockbroker belt, a Porsche convertible and a blonde with massive ..... intellect, but I have to wait for it. I can't have it all now - I have to take opportunity and work hard at it - if people are doing everything they can, they are saving hard, they liquidate the fripperies to get that deposit, they go the extra mile, then those people deserve to succeed (and most of them do - believe it or not hard work usually does get rewarded). However, I don't think it's totally reasonable to sit there cruising through life and then whingeing that a family house where you want it is too expensive on your current income, that you can't have a family right now AND buy that house because you need both incomes etc.

I appreciate that people want families and want to live in nice places - but PricedOut came across as having a few people who wanted it all and did not want to sacrifice to get it [again I am sure they are not like that, but I can only take the written word and add 2 and 2 and try not make 5].

• 6 months later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

And I thought football managers and players agents were the only people to take"bungs" or am I very much mistaken.

Her Majesty's Inspectors of Taxes may show more than a passing interest in estate agents accounts!