House Price Crash Forum

10 Year Fixes Going Up

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

They aren't alone. The West Bromwich Building Society put their rates up from 4.79% to 4.89% a few weeks ago.

That said, though, the Nationwide have now dropped their 10-year fixed rate from 4.89% to 4.79%!

The pound has fallen last week indicating that the markets are expecting a FALL in IR's in April.

HOLA444
Guest Winners and Losers

The pound has fallen last week indicating that the markets are expecting a FALL in IR's in April.

awooga

HOLA445

All you bulls can live in hope.

In fact, I do hope they do a cut in IR. Cause then we'll see houseprices jump up again and then the crash will really be here. You can starve a recession once, but don't try the same trick twice.

HOLA446
HOLA447

All you bulls can live in hope.

In fact, I do hope they do a cut in IR. Cause then we'll see houseprices jump up again and then the crash will really be here. You can starve a recession once, but don't try the same trick twice.

With rates at 4.5%, the trick can and will be repeated many more times. If you think 4.5% is low, try 2.5 %.

HOLA448

What financial insight!

There are quite a few reasons why currencies move on the forex markets... and IRs are certainly not the only factor in influencing exchange rates, otherwise currency traders would be replaced with trained monkeys (or computers... but I like the monkey idea better).

The reason that currency exchange markets are often regarded as unpredictable is that there isn't a direct correlation between a particular event that has a corresponding definite effect on the market.

This describes the irrationality of markets at some points in time, and currency exchange markets seem to do a nice line in being irrational.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

No, the pound fell last week because the market expects rates to rise in US and Europe . The market actually expects UK rates to be held in April and for the forseeable future.

HOLA4411

Unfortunately, this is the kind of knee jerk response to any information that doesn't concur with a bearish view that completely demolishes this site's credibility in the eyes of many visitors.

WTF. Its comments like this that totally piss me off. So someone posts a one word answer that doesn't fit with your view and you act like a retard. Maybe you should look at the reason why people post 'awooga' first (even though I think they could come up with a better word).

Yes, there's more bears on this forum than bulls. If you want the alternate view, go to SP and see what they do to bears over there. IMO, bulls have never had it so good on this site, even with them peddling their VI crap.

And to give some advice to you bulls out there:you'll be needing this site soon.

HOLA4412

What financial insight!

There are quite a few reasons why currencies move on the forex markets... and IRs are certainly not the only factor in influencing exchange rates, otherwise currency traders would be replaced with trained monkeys (or computers... but I like the monkey idea better).

The reason that currency exchange markets are often regarded as unpredictable is that there isn't a direct correlation between a particular event that has a corresponding definite effect on the market.

This describes the irrationality of markets at some points in time, and currency exchange markets seem to do a nice line in being irrational.

Silly me!! Of course the pound falling means that rates are going up. I'd better pile into the Euro and take advantage of 2.5% before UK rates hit 5% then :lol::lol:

HOLA4413

With rates at 4.5%, the trick can and will be repeated many more times. If you think 4.5% is low, try 2.5 %.

Thankyou for admiting its a trick. The trick is driving the economy into a recession. Each trick has a cumulative effect on the economy driving it deeper into recession.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Winners and Losers

Unfortunately, this is the kind of knee jerk response to any information that doesn't concur with a bearish view that completely demolishes this site's credibility in the eyes of many visitors.

I think carefully before I awooga. I have been awooga'd myself. My response was such because I think nodumwhatever is just posting now as a troublemaker and not really trying to contribute to the debate from the bullish standpoint. You should know that the opinion of the bulls who visit this site are respected and welcomed. Nodumwhatever is just becoming a troll.

Edited by Winners and Losers

HOLA4416

I agree. I'm a long standing Bear on this sie, but the bear-fascism and claw strutching by some Bears on this site absolutely beggars belief.

It aint gonna happen just coz we say it will, and deny any counter-views. Prices, unfortunately are buoyant at the moment. It doesn't help my cause by denying it.

Thankyou for admiting its a trick. The trick is driving the economy into a recession. Each trick has a cumulative effect on the economy driving it deeper into recession.

None of which proves that it wont happen, of course.

HOLA4417

If you think 4.5% is high, try 7%. Idiot. The only thing that history teaches us is that we don't learn from history; or, at least you don't.

Edited by karhu

HOLA4418

WTF. Its comments like this that totally piss me off. So someone posts a one word answer that doesn't fit with your view and you act like a retard. Maybe you should look at the reason why people post 'awooga' first (even though I think they could come up with a better word).

Yes, there's more bears on this forum than bulls. If you want the alternate view, go to SP and see what they do to bears over there. IMO, bulls have never had it so good on this site, even with them peddling their VI crap.

And to give some advice to you bulls out there:you'll be needing this site soon.

SingingPig forums are a quite reasonable place to discuss the property market for either bulls or bears. The problem is that it's not very active. But I've never had problems posting bearish views there.

Billy Shears

HOLA4419
Guest Winners and Losers

SingingPig forums are a quite reasonable place to discuss the property market for either bulls or bears. The problem is that it's not very active. But I've never had problems posting bearish views there.

Billy Shears

That is probably because your approach was intelligent and you were able to provide some form of evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) in support of the point you were putting across. Unlike nodum who seems to have a bee in his/her bonnet at the moment.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That is probably because your approach was intelligent and you were able to provide some form of evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) in support of the point you were putting across. Unlike nodum who seems to have a bee in his/her bonnet at the moment.

Which is why I posted a reply to your awooga. Crying troll is no substitute for a reasoned rebuttal, which is the point of this forum. If not, then we end up like f---edcompany.com. Useful debate can easily be stifled if people cry troll too often, viz the debacle earlier this year regarding who can and cannot start a topic. This site is a useful resource to get informed for anyone thinking of buying now or at any point in the future.

For Mr Blek's benefit: www.f---edcompany.com

HOLA4423

Personally I'd call 7% low. In fact when rates went down to 8% in 1988 everyone was excited at the prospect of unusually low rates.

Current IR levels are wierdly low in an economy without credit controls. Normality is on the way it seems.

Hi

FWIW historical interest rate in the UK are 4.75%, if we remove the period between 1970 and 1990 when interest rates where unusually high, then interest rates were 4.25%

Perhaps the new paradigm was high interest rates, caused by the moving from a economy with credit controls to one without?

HOLA4424
Guest wrongmove

FWIW historical interest rate in the UK are 4.75%, if we remove the period between 1970 and 1990 when interest rates where unusually high, then interest rates were 4.25%

This is one reason why income multiples look flawed as a fundamental. The figure of 3.5x may just be a coincidence.

1. pre-1970, IRs are low, but there are many single-income households (typically the woman stays at home), and there is large amounts of social housing. Houses at 3.5x household income

2. 1970-1990, household incomes rise as more women join the workforce, and social housing stock starts to diminish, but high and unstable interest rates reduce affordibility. Houses at say 2.5x household income, due to high IRs

3. post 1990, low and stable IRs, very little social housing, most households have two incomes. Houses at 3.5x household income (as normal) but household income = say 1.5x single income on average.

Conclusion - houses are certainly not cheap at the moment, but they are not that expensive either, historically speaking.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4425

bet they don't respond this quickly when it's going down !

Woolwich : Feb 12 4.67 %

Mar 12 now 4.78 %

Norwich & Peterborough Feb 12 4.68 %

Mar 12 now 4.88 %

Portman 5 year fix Feb 12 4.59 %

Mar 12 now 4.79 %

Up even more !

Woolwich 10yr May 4 : 4.99 %

N & P 10yr May 4 : 5.14 %

Portman 5 year : 5.19%

and all in a time of 'stable' interest rates