House Price Crash Forum

UK public buildings feared to be at risk of collapse as concrete crumbles

HOLA441

More trouble ahead for tax payers?

Experts have so far identified more than 150 schools where it has potentially been in use, and last week closed a primary in Southend, Essex, because of the safety risk.

RAAC looks like concrete, but it is a lighter form of the material that was used in many one- and two-storey public sector buildings in the UK from the mid-1950s to the mid-90s. Less durable than traditional concrete, it has a shelf-life estimated to be about 30 years and is prone to collapse when wet.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/14/uk-public-buildings-feared-to-be-at-risk-of-collapse-as-concrete-crumbles

Five major hospitals to be rebuilt as part of over £20 billion new hospital infrastructure investment

Five hospitals constructed mostly using reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) will be rebuilt by 2030 as part of the New Hospital Programme.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/five-major-hospitals-to-be-rebuilt-as-part-of-over-20-billion-new-hospital-infrastructure-investment

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

• 2 months later...
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
On 6/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

File this as just another piece of evidence of a declining country.

There is nowhere else to go now. The currency cannot be cheapened anymore at the expense of the masses for the privilege of a corrupt establishment that is parasitical.

Cheap products made in China that only have 1 year warranties.

Was in a major retail store recently and noticed around 90% or so of all the products including kettles, coffee makers, hoovers and toasters of all prices only had 1 year guarantees. No more.

Chinese products were/are cheap due to cheap coal powering the factories and forced labour including child labour that enabled westerners to buy goods with worthless fiat not even worth the paper they are printed on.

There is no new country where labour and energy is cheaper than China and that has the educational standard to produce the goods westerners need so the money printing stops or we get the crack up boom.

Britain has been on this path since World War 1 and it has gone as far as it can go.

Everything has just been built to lower and lower standards over time and houses/buildings is no exception.

Go and check Edwardian properties built up-to just before World War 1 both residential and public buildings.

The schools and libraries are beautiful designs and are still in tip-top condition. Here in Plymouth Devon near where I live there are some stunning buildings which used to be schools and libraries.

Check out this former school built in 1897 here:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6295489

Or this one from 1894:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6082979

Those houses/buildings from the late 1890s upto 1913 will last 200 years at least so another 100 before major problems.

The doors, stair banisters, windows, floor boards and all other finishings on Edwardian houses were built to the highest standard.

High quality wood. Even the letterboxes and drain pipes were high quality material. Brass and not cheap plastic.

Does anyone think the buildings built over the last 20 years are even going to last another 40 years from here?

Weak mortar, shoddy workmanship & cheap materials likely means they will not.

Seeing many personal stories of new homeowners having many problems as soon as they move in.

They are not rare cases either.

And they are still selling for stupid prices.

Rant over.

Edited by The Angry Capitalist

HOLA446
HOLA447
On 02/09/2023 at 01:32, The Angry Capitalist said:

There is nowhere else to go now. The currency cannot be cheapened anymore at the expense of the masses for the privilege of a corrupt establishment that is parasitical.

Was in a major retail store recently and noticed around 90% or so of all the products including kettles, coffee makers, hoovers and toasters of all prices only had 1 year guarantees. No more.

Chinese products were/are cheap due to cheap coal powering the factories and forced labour including child labour that enabled westerners to buy goods with worthless fiat not even worth the paper they are printed on.

There is no new country where labour and energy is cheaper than China and that has the educational standard to produce the goods westerners need so the money printing stops or we get the crack up boom.

Britain has been on this path since World War 1 and it has gone as far as it can go.

Everything has just been built to lower and lower standards over time and houses/buildings is no exception.

Go and check Edwardian properties built up-to just before World War 1 both residential and public buildings.

The schools and libraries are beautiful designs and are still in tip-top condition. Here in Plymouth Devon near where I live there are some stunning buildings which used to be schools and libraries.

Or this one from 1894:

Those houses/buildings from the late 1890s upto 1913 will last 200 years at least so another 100 before major problems.

The doors, stair banisters, windows, floor boards and all other finishings on Edwardian houses were built to the highest standard.

High quality wood. Even the letterboxes and drain pipes were high quality material. Brass and not cheap plastic.

Does anyone think the buildings built over the last 20 years are even going to last another 40 years from here?

Seeing many personal stories of new homeowners having many problems as soon as they move in.

Rant over.

At least we are getting HS2. Lol. 

HOLA448
On 9/2/2023 at 1:32 AM, The Angry Capitalist said:

Or this one from 1894:

Rant over.

site_0344_0021-750-750-20151104175805.jp

Located in the Occitanie region, the Pont du Gard is the major element of a 50.02 km aqueduct built in the middle of the 1st century to supply the city of Nîmes, the ancient Roman colony of Nemausus, from the Eure source located near Uzès. A three-storey aqueduct bridge rising to nearly 48.77 m, it enabled the water conduit to cross the Gardon River.

HOLA449

Hard to disagree. 

I grew up in Aberdeen where most older houses are made of granite. i could never understand somone selling a lovely granite house to pay hundreds of thousands more for a timber frame kit house on a new build estate. 

I've read that most new builds are built expecting the owner will rip out the plasterboard walls and completely refit the house every 25 years... the interiors are such poor quality that youve only got to look at the plasterboard to put a dent in it  

HOLA4410
4 minutes ago, regprentice said:

I've read that most new builds are built expecting the owner will rip out the plasterboard walls and completely refit the house every 25 years... 

No one factors such long term thinking into action.

But it would equate to creating or keeping wealth rather than giving it to builders or borrowing from financial companies or using savings

Thank you for the concept

HOLA4411

Years ago they built things to last......more money to be made from things that have a time limitation, more money to be made if can use cheaper products, more money to be made if made to not be repairable........short-term fixes, short-term profits......with the option to make some more when all else fails.

Take mobile phone, they make it so very hard to replace the battery or charging port.....with glue, rivets etc.......are wanted to buy a new one when doesn't have to be necessary......throw it into landfill, more waste and pollution.;)

HOLA4412
On 9/1/2023 at 9:29 PM, HousePriceTooHigh said:

hope a tory donor runs a portacabin business...... about to be a lot of money in contracts for "temporary" classrooms

Was thinking the same of course now they are desperate the cost to the taxpayer will be massively inflated 

HOLA4413
18 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Hard to disagree. 

I grew up in Aberdeen where most older houses are made of granite. i could never understand somone selling a lovely granite house to pay hundreds of thousands more for a timber frame kit house on a new build estate. 

I've read that most new builds are built expecting the owner will rip out the plasterboard walls and completely refit the house every 25 years... the interiors are such poor quality that youve only got to look at the plasterboard to put a dent in it  

I think before 2nd world war building was a skill/ craftsman type role, but over the years it’s been cheapened to slapping stuff up by people with no GCSE’s . I think back to my school days and the quality of people going into these trades you wouldn’t want near your house

HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, clarkey said:

I think before 2nd world war building was a skill/ craftsman type role, but over the years it’s been cheapened to slapping stuff up by people with no GCSE’s . I think back to my school days and the quality of people going into these trades you wouldn’t want near your house

Why blame the workers?......we as a country have not invested in quality training, and we give them cheaper poor quality products to do the work with.....point your finger in another direction if got something/someone to blame.;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Or this one from 1894:

Rant over.

I agree with what you say.... I live in a victorian property....looks like original floorboards...beautiful fireplaces....lots of original brass door handles....original window frames(no double glazing.....enormous skirting boards......my local pub original looking large wide floor boards that get an awful lot of traffic...its a busy pub..the pub is a good couple of hundred years old probably....

I had a house built in the 70's which unusually had chipboard flooring because the builder was running out of money and some had floorboards and some didn't.....i learned chipboard is a nasty product.....got it properly wet once in the downstairs toilet....turns to weetabix once soaked......i realised if that house ever flooded all the stud walls would drop as they were on top of the chipboard....apart from that and being thrown up as my neighbour said who bought his new.....better built than one today....which all i believe have chipboard....and all manner of cheap fittings and poor build.....near me in the 80's they were building a new estate i used to have a gander on the way home from the pub....wooden frame throughout with breezeblock and bricks on the outside...Nasty....

Was bought up in a 50's built house one of the many new houses built after the war.....solid floors....cavity walls ....built solidly.....so they were prob building the private houses in a pucker fashion...

When it comes to these public buildings buildings schools ...hospitals....built after ww2 ..its completely obvious not built to stand the test of time......there should have been a planned replacement....literally build a new school or hospital from scratch when its ready shut the other one down and bulldoze it....

There is no point tinkering around with these things ...they just need knocking down.....but no in this country let's just bodge along .....

Spoke to a guy one who used to work on construction in Germany prob around the time of the auf Wiedershen Pet series.....he said the inspectors would come along demand more steel rods more concrete infill.....always built over and beyond what he considered required....but he said thats got to be better than doing the mimimum....and the actual costs of doing it right in the scheme of things is actually neglible....but here i wouldnt be surprised if theres scamming like overcharging for materials never used.....etc..this really is a **** poor excuse of a country now....great for cronyism though if grift is your thing.....

Rememebr that MP who got a shipping contract with no ships ?

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

It's all been about built in redundancy for the last 50 years.

But now the garbage has piled up and the raw materials are becoming expensive, suddenly it's time for a rethink (in another 20 years).

You just have to look at the state of our housing stock.....a lot of papering over the cracks, will be very expensive to upgrade, boilers, electrics, plumbing etc what point is there putting in a heat pump if the windows are rotten, drafty and the roof leaks....everything getting more expensive, materials and labour......think we will be doing more DIY relearning the money saving skills we once had and lost....

Not so good for tax collection, looking after own children, cooking own meals and fixing what needs doing around the home.;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, winkie said:

You just have to look at the state of our housing stock.....a lot of papering over the cracks, will be very expensive to upgrade, boilers, electrics, plumbing etc what point is there putting in a heat pump if the windows are rotten, drafty and the roof leaks....everything getting more expensive, materials and labour......think we will be doing more DIY relearning the money saving skills we once had and lost....

Not so good for tax collection, looking after own children, cooking own meals and fixing what needs doing around the home.;)

And just think many have purchased houses on a mortgage at highly inflated prices with higher rates yet to come meaning their outgoings on the mortgage is going to kill any prospect of maintaining the property when the need arises.

Houses are money pits in a normal economy. 

Much pain is on the horizon.

This will be the mother of all disasters that will finally put an end to Britain's obsession with "owning" a property.

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

And just think many have purchased houses on a mortgage at highly inflated prices with higher rates yet to come meaning their outgoings on the mortgage is going to kill any prospect of maintaining the property when the need arises.

This will be the mother of all disasters that will finally put an end to Britain's obsession with "owning" a property.

Take anything to get on the ladder or was it the snake?;)

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, winkie said:

The kids don't matter, who cares about children anyway, they don't vote......but their parents and grandparents do who care for them.....aware and awake to what is going on.;)

First we made schools out of non flammable asbestos, were they happy, were they f***.

Then we moved to using concrete full of air, you would think that storing carbon dioxide inside concrete would cheer them up. No again.

Don't the kids know that the planet is almost exactly  2⁰C too hot? 😆

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

First we made schools out of non flammable asbestos, were they happy, were they f***.

Then we moved to using concrete full of air, you would think that storing carbon dioxide inside concrete would cheer them up. No again.

Don't the kids know that the planet is almost exactly  2⁰C too hot.😆

......not forgetting the inflammable cladding......no building regulations, pollution in rivers waived? or rubbish building regulations or ignored got away with it building regulations for some?.......not all.;)

HOLA4424
7 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Couple of years back heat exchanger on the boiler went....plumber said need to turn it off as it's not safe......."are you ok with that ?"

Said yes of course..(fortunately it was summer and the immersion could supply hot water so didnt need the heating...

Long and short of it was i learned from him somethimes people "are not ok with that" they havent got the money...and will try and see whatever fudge is possible....he explained ...if they are not ok...he is required to report this to the LA and they will send someone round who will "insist" it's turned off and have the power to enforce that....

It's already occurred to me now under financial stress many will start skimping on maintenance....home ownership comes with responsibility also and expensive responsibility....Systems need to be maintained...roofs ..windows fall into disrepair....

HOLA4425
12 hours ago, staintunerider said:

Couple of years back heat exchanger on the boiler went....plumber said need to turn it off as it's not safe......."are you ok with that ?"

Said yes of course..(fortunately it was summer and the immersion could supply hot water so didnt need the heating...

Long and short of it was i learned from him somethimes people "are not ok with that" they havent got the money...and will try and see whatever fudge is possible....he explained ...if they are not ok...he is required to report this to the LA and they will send someone round who will "insist" it's turned off and have the power to enforce that....

It's already occurred to me now under financial stress many will start skimping on maintenance....home ownership comes with responsibility also and expensive responsibility....Systems need to be maintained...roofs ..windows fall into disrepair....

Indeed they do come with responsibility.

It's why Thatcher gave the option for the public to buy social/council houses.

Social housing is a very heavy burden for the public coffers so just pass it on to the public and let them deal with it.

What remaining homes the council do own you will see as I do where I live there is always scaffolding for repainting or replacing the roof etc.

I knew someone who I worked with a few years ago and he was telling me that he was getting a new kitchen refit in his council house with breakfast bar etc.

Wonder how much that was costing the council on a per house basis?