House Price Crash Forum

Spain just went nuclear vs landlords.

HOLA441
19 hours ago, Insane said:

So won't increase the amount of property. More to buy less to rent won't stop the shortage. 

If the last year or so is anything to go by.... Owner occupancy tends to be at less density than rentals. So more OO would cause rents to go up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Badhairday said:

If the last year or so is anything to go by.... Owner occupancy tends to be at less density than rentals. So more OO would cause rents to go up.

All depends on who wants to live there.....HMO in suffering housing conditions......or explore outside the box.;)

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

There are places in the world where population is reducing, it is not good for those that are left.....be grateful people want to live and improve and invest in the area where you live.....if you don't like it you are free to move

Well maybe recommend people go there , we don't have a problem of a reducing population right now. 

8 minutes ago, winkie said:

You are not a special person.

Where did I say I was. I do have however have a right to my opinion though , which is we will never sort the housing crisis while increasing the population faster than we build houses. As I have said before it is all quite simple. 

HOLA444
54 minutes ago, Insane said:

Really well you need to let everyone know as the country as a whole has a massive shortage , unless those councils in London are lying about their 20+ year waiting lists. 

I don't see the connection.
Loads of rich buy homes in London with no intention of living in them or renting them out. Hence, loads of empty housing accompanied by councils whining about 20 plus year waiting lists.
The target should then be to get these houses into circulation.

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, Badhairday said:

I don't see the connection.
Loads of rich buy homes in London with no intention of living in them or renting them out. Hence, loads of empty housing accompanied by councils whining about 20 plus year waiting lists.
The target should then be to get these houses into circulation.

Which is what I pointed out. 

However until we do that if we ever do that if we don't stop mass immigration the 20+ year housing lists will get longer won' they. 

HOLA447
1 minute ago, Insane said:

Well maybe recommend people go there , we don't have a problem of a reducing population right now. 

Where did I say I was. I do have however have a right to my opinion though , which is we will never sort the housing crisis while increasing the population faster than we build houses. As I have said before it is all quite simple. 

Buy an overpriced house then if it makes you happier then.....and work many years to pay for it...why you are blaming poor immigrants, you ought to be more fearful of very rich immigrants that will take your housing from you, because they can.....and they will.;)

HOLA448
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Buy an overpriced house then if it makes you happier then

I already have a house.... why do you make that statement? 

9 minutes ago, winkie said:

.why you are blaming poor immigrants, you ought to be more fearful of very rich immigrants that will take your housing from you, because they can.....and they will.;)

I have not blamed poor immigrants. I said mass immigration has caused our housing crisis. I did not say rich or poor. Yet after arguing with me on this subject for I don't know how many posts you now tell me to fear rich immigrants. Quite strange really so do you agree that immigration is helping cause the housing crisis or not.

Are you saying it is only rich immigrants causing the problem? If so should we stop rich immigrants coming to the UK and buying property? Should we only allow poor immigrants in? At what level of wealth should we refuse people to come to the UK saying that they are too rich to come here? 

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, Insane said:

I already have a house.... why do you make that statement? 

I have not blamed poor immigrants. I said mass immigration has caused our housing crisis. I did not say rich or poor. Yet after arguing with me on this subject for I don't know how many posts you now tell me to fear rich immigrants. Quite strange really so do you agree that immigration is helping cause the housing crisis or not.

Are you saying it is only rich immigrants causing the problem? If so should we stop rich immigrants coming to the UK and buying property? Should we only allow poor immigrants in? At what level of wealth should we refuse people to come to the UK saying that they are too rich to come here? 

Does it matter who it is......people are people.

We all live on this planet, we work, want the same things, same hopes and fears.;)

HOLA4410
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Does it matter who it is......people are people.

No I am asking you do you only want poor immigrants? You told me to fear rich immigrants so do you not want them? 

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

We all live on this planet, we work, want the same things, same hopes and fears

Can you stop waffling and just answer the questions that I have raised in response to your statements. 

HOLA4411
8 minutes ago, Insane said:

No I am asking you do you only want poor immigrants? You told me to fear rich immigrants so do you not want them? 

Can you stop waffling and just answer the questions that I have raised in response to your statements. 

I love all people who do not harm anyone are law abiding and care for their fellow human beings.... creed or colour, race or religion doesn't really matter to me.;)

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

I love all people who do not harm anyone are law abiding and care for their fellow human beings.... creed or colour, race or religion doesn't really matter to me

We were discussing a housing crisis due to more people than houses, not your love of all people two different subjects. 

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, Insane said:

We were discussing a housing crisis due to more people than houses, not your love of all people two different subjects. 

So what thinks you are more entitled to a house than another, because you work harder, lived longer...... my point is the world is full of people, wanting to live in the better places where their skills and talents will be on demand and where their quality of life can be improved.....

Why we emigrate all over the world, India, Australia, Canada even China..... Singapore, Hong Kong, USA.....

We move there because we believe it will give us a better quality of life....you can too.;)

HOLA4414
15 minutes ago, winkie said:

So what thinks you are more entitled to a house than another,

Where did I say I was. I said we have a housing crisis and keep increasing it due to mass immigration. 

my point is the world is full of people, wanting to live in the better places where their skills and talents will be on demand and where their quality of life can be improved.....

There are 8 Billion people on the planet , how many do you think should come to the UK? I bet you don't answer the question as you have failed to answer the questions I have already posed you.

If those countries we go to have an issue with us going there it is up to them to address their issues. Just as it is the UK's business to address ours. 

Why we emigrate all over the world, India, Australia, Canada even China..... Singapore, Hong Kong, USA.....

Yes but we have more people coming in each year than leaving it is not equal. 

HOLA4415
8 minutes ago, Insane said:

Where did I say I was. I said we have a housing crisis and keep increasing it due to mass immigration. 

There are 8 Billion people on the planet , how many do you think should come to the UK? I bet you don't answer the question as you have failed to answer the questions I have already posed you.

If those countries we go to have an issue with us going there it is up to them to address their issues. Just as it is the UK's business to address ours. 

Yes but we have more people coming in each year than leaving it is not equal. 

If people are leaving,

you can be sure 8 billion people will not be aspiring to come here.....that is my answer to you.;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Readable ops' article link https://archive.is/morUW

Anything to do with the greedy corp. LL's asking sky high rents, after they were sold them cheap in the last 08 crash ? 

Private-Equity Firm Blackstone, Spain’s Largest Landlord, Tries to Unload its Properties

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/10/07/private-equity-firm-blackstone-spains-largest-landlord-tries-to-unload-its-properties/

Blackstone sells €285m Spanish residential portfolio to AXA IM Alts

https://realassets.ipe.com/news/blackstone-sells-285m-spanish-residential-portfolio-to-axa-im-alts/10059274.article

The bill also introduces the concept of large landlords — individuals or firms that own five houses or more — and sets additional restrictions on how much they can raise rents. 

Housing prices and availability have become two of the main concerns of Spaniards struggling with soaring rents and mortgage costs, according to recent opinion polls. 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
10 hours ago, Insane said:

Well it matches 10 Million a big number. 

What are you going to do about it......by the way the 10 million mass number, did you pick that out of the air? any evidence or is that your own personal fear......or have no confidence that your fears will be alleviated?;)

HOLA4421

I live and rent in Spain after being priced out of London.  I commute to my job in London 3 or 4 times a month.  Otherwise I WFH.  It was meant to be a short term plan, but 9 years later we are still here and very settled.  

In those 9 years, rents and house prices have barely moved outside the main cities.  Rents are controlled, previously limited to RPI, and now with a 2% cap.  

Like the UK, landlords are lazy, and don’t maintain or improve their properties.  But the relationship between landlords and tenants is fundamentally different.  There is no S21 equivalent.  In some circumstances, tenancies are secure for 7 years, which is long enough to make life plans, and makes it worth investing in a kitchen, bathroom, or paint job.

Unlike the UK, there is a lot of political pressure to kill off the short-term rental market.  It’s starting to work in some places.

I had hoped to buy at one point, but the sales market is bonkers.  Stamp duty is over 10%, there is tax on imputed rent, high IHT and forced heirship rules.  Older property is poorly constructed, often incorrectly documented, and hoarded by decaying boomers who refuse to sell for less than the price before the GFC.  

Meanwhile there is loads of space, empty plots, a declining population, and loads of new construction.  A ridiculous golden visa programme of only €500K has distorted the market for the last 10 years, and appears to be drying up as the Russian sanctions kick in and globalisation generally retreats.

I’ve spent the deposit I saved over 20 years on a campervan.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
10 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Where do you live in Spain? If the situation continue to worsen here I was thinking about Spain as an option. Do you need a Visa to move there now?

Yes no longer freedom of movement.....and you have to have a certain amount of money.....lots of information online.;)

HOLA4424

There are different visas that allow you to spend time in Spain, if you come from a non-EU country.

Your Visa Options For Coming to Spain – Valencia Property (valencia-property.com)

The non-lucrative visa, often referred to incorrectly as the retirement visa, is for those people who want to come and live in Spain and already have the means to live here through savings or monthly income without working. Of course this usually means that they have income from sources that are often pensions, thus it gets called the retirement visa, but it might also include investment income, dividends on shares and company ownership or other income from property ownership or passive income sources and also savings.

Most people do it with pensions or savings meaning they deposit a certain amount into a Spanish bank to show they have independent means to live in Spain or show their monthly income statements of their pensions. We have written about the requirements for the NLV previously so click through to this article to see what you need to provide (The article is specifically about Brits but is relevant to other non EU countries). The amount required has risen slightly since that article but is still around 2400 Euros per month for a single person and 600 euros for each family member extra (Numbers deliberately vague as by the time you read this they may change. This was written in March 2023 but maybe think of adding 5% per year to those numbers if you are reading this in future years)

HOLA4425
18 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Where do you live in Spain? If the situation continue to worsen here I was thinking about Spain as an option. Do you need a Visa to move there now?

I live in the suburbs of Barcelona.  It’s not as easy to move as it used to be.  But, as posters above have said, not impossible.  There are lots of digital nomads here, from all over the world.  And if you can stay within the 90/180 day limit, you don’t even need a visa.