House Price Crash Forum

Poll: Will taxes go up or not?

Si1

Will taxes rise or not?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, will the govt kick the national debt can down the road or raise taxes significantly in the next year or so?

• No tax rises at all. It will all go on the national debt.
    • Minor tax rises.
    • Major tax rises.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

Tax hikes seem unlikely, Boris and Cummings are all about popularity and winning at all costs so I can't imagine a bit of national debt which costs almost no interest to service and which will almost entirely be the next guy's problem will bother them.

Long term implications being?

HOLA444
HOLA445
Just now, Dorkins said:

200% public debt to GDP ratio like Japan, not that I think it will matter to the ordinary person's daily life.

The Japanese economy has been moribund for decades with limited life chances and housing options for the young, I believe.

HOLA446

I think all this tough talk about the next budget is expectations management, so when they actually announce a fairly flat budget people will breathe a sigh of relief. If they announced a flat budget without doing this groundwork people might get annoyed that the government wasn't 'doing more to help' i.e. opening the spending taps. The taps will only open in 2023 to pump prime the 2024 general election.

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

I think all this tough talk about the next budget is expectations management, so when they actually announce a fairly flat budget people will breathe a sigh of relief. If they announced a flat budget without doing this groundwork people might get annoyed that the government wasn't 'doing more to help' i.e. opening the spending taps. The taps will only open in 2023 to pump prime the 2024 general election.

The taps have already opened with an interest rate cut, more term funding, furlough, eat out to help out, increased benefits, haven't they?

HOLA449

Roger Bootle makes the point here that tax rises should be seen as part of an overall tweaking of the system to a tax system that promotes growth and not tax sheltering schemes involving debt etc.

He does support gradual adjustment of capital gains tax to the levels of income tax, but no all in one go as it would constitute a shock.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/19/diy-approach-tax-wont-work-uk-needs-structured-path/

HOLA4410

Roger Bootle makes the point here that tax rises should be seen as part of an overall tweaking of the system to a tax system that promotes growth and not tax sheltering schemes involving debt etc.

He does support gradual adjustment of capital gains tax to the levels of income tax, but no all in one go as it would constitute a shock.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/19/diy-approach-tax-wont-work-uk-needs-structured-path/

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Tax hikes for you proles are indeed coming. I think we'll be okay. ;)

Happy to see you are back.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If I were in government I would be concentrating now on:

- Introducing taxes I've wanted for years but not been politically able to push through, badging them as "necessary due to COVID" (whether they are or not)

- Introducing measures that make it look like I was doing something fiscally responsible in light of all the furlough etc giveaways (even though the giveaways were massive and the measures may or may not be)

So expect some tax rises, but not game-changing. 

HOLA4416

Only rich homeowners and rich landlords can afford to pay more raxes in the current situation. However, most of our goverment officials and MPs are rich homeowners and/or rich landlords. Will they raise taxes for themselves? I really doubt they will.