House Price Crash Forum

When will a crash come in collectable watches, cars etc.?

HOLA441
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
8 minutes ago, MarkG said:

I'm driving a $250,000 car at 100+ mph on gravel roads through Welsh forests. There aren't any speed cameras to worry about.

You need to be pretty rich to do that in real life. Even if you don't crash and wreck one of a few hundred surviving cars, you'll soon wear out parts that are close to irreplaceable.

And a full-motion simulator is closer to $5k than $250k. I don't have one, but they're pretty impressive.

As for theatre and concert tickets, I'm quite shocked they haven't been doing performances in front of 3D cameras and selling tickets to watch in VR online. I know some concerts have started doing that in the last couple of years, and it's an obvious way to keep working in these times of Pandemic Panic.

I gotta say I agree on the part that its no joke as a substitute.

VR and simulation are being used by F1 and pro racers in their spare time at home. Not just for training but for fun too. There's increasing examples of people 'graduating' from this to the real thing. 

This is not a bad thing at all imho, it's a democratization of experiences and a kind of step into a better world where people can find out what they are good at/into inexpensively.

HOLA443

An affordable Motorbike bike simulator rig, with a sim to the standard of iracing or assetto would be incredible thinking about it....as I get older and have responsibilities, I've backed off so much when riding one I get more thrills on a pushbike. To be able to 'push it' in safety would be awesome. Although the fear of 'oh sh!t, that was close' wouldn't be the same, I can literally live with that.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Frugal Git said:

An affordable Motorbike bike simulator rig, with a sim to the standard of iracing or assetto would be incredible thinking about it....as I get older and have responsibilities, I've backed off so much when riding one I get more thrills on a pushbike. To be able to 'push it' in safety would be awesome. Although the fear of 'oh sh!t, that was close' wouldn't be the same, I can literally live with that.

This should be possible, even maybe to the point of having a real motorbike on rollers - the future could be interesting.  But will we want to do anything other than play simulators??!!

HOLA445
HOLA446
On 08/08/2020 at 12:38, longgone said:

i always liked the omega range. but then all the mechanical watchers are rather outdated and pointless why would you need a victorian technology based wrist watch when you can just look at you phone which keeps time perfectly 100% of the time. 

I find it rather absurd to use far more technology than necessary for a task a lot of the time - why would you use a hugely complicated heap of electronics to do a job that can be done with massively less complexity? - so in the case of the watch - because it works and does the job (although the watch on my wrist is a cheap battery one rather than a purely mechanical one; I've got a mechanical clock on the wall though).

HOLA447
12 hours ago, GregBowman said:

So no smell - 1 sense missing strike one, no 3 d motion to any great degree . Strike 2, no planning your route avoiding speed cameras, taking into account road conditions strike 3, no owning something special and working on it so it can perform to its design criteria - strike 4 

What you going bring to the owners meet your PS4? Do you realise how sad that sounds ...

Why do you think people pay so much for concert of theatre tickets ? You might not but hey you can always kid yourself your in California tonight in the PGA - sad really 

Quite. I've done a bit of racing in VR (don't mind piling up the technology purely for entertainment) and it's fun but a long, long way to go before it becomes like the real thing - in my case that's just as well because I get motion sick rather easily. And crash a lot in the game (it's made me think rally drivers are even more insane than I thought they were).

HOLA448
56 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I find it rather absurd to use far more technology than necessary for a task a lot of the time - why would you use a hugely complicated heap of electronics to do a job that can be done with massively less complexity? - so in the case of the watch - because it works and does the job (although the watch on my wrist is a cheap battery one rather than a purely mechanical one; I've got a mechanical clock on the wall though).

point is most already have a phone so why do they need a watch to tell the time ?  i use my watch as a pedometer if it did not do that i would not bother with one at all. 

mechanical watches need servicing every year, seems like a complete waste of time to me. 

HOLA449

Having to do something like that once a year is a minor inconvenience of the level that just makes me roll my eyes when people grumble about them. Having seen some people fumble around with the phone just to see what the time is also makes me roll my eyes. You could probably legitimately claim that that's also too minor an inconvenience to give a damn about, but when it comes to the practical I'll still veer towards the technologically simplest that does an adequate job and be unimpressed with any attempt at "improvement."

HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Having to do something like that once a year is a minor inconvenience of the level that just makes me roll my eyes when people grumble about them. Having seen some people fumble around with the phone just to see what the time is also makes me roll my eyes. You could probably legitimately claim that that's also too minor an inconvenience to give a damn about, but when it comes to the practical I'll still veer towards the technologically simplest that does an adequate job and be unimpressed with any attempt at "improvement."

I just glance at the sun’s angle against the horizon, and then instinctively adjust for the time of year, the latitude, and time zone. When I see people going through the hassle of lifting their wrist to read the time, I roll my eyes. 

Well, that’s when it’s sunny anyway, when it’s cloudy or nighttime I use my Apple Watch, obviously. 

HOLA4411
22 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Hail fellow Alfisti !! I have had 2 Brera’s Prodrive and Matt grey  Italia Independent  , 3 Guilietta’s and now the Giulia - Just makes me smile - It is such a stylish bit of kit 

Driven a QV sublime could be the next one in the story 

Clarkson enthusing again about Alfa’s in the times today - massive Alfisti 

Off to Wales tomorrow will defo detour and do the evo triangle again 

Here’s to style ??

Hello fellow Alfisti indeed!!  First Alfa admittedly having been a french hot-hatch tart for a long time prior (mk3 Megane RS was a particular gem - very cheap to run, amazingly fun over 5yrs+ - highly recommended for anyone who wants a pure FWD thrill machine without breaking the bank)

I still have very fond memories of being a passenger in a GTV6 24v coupe, good god that Busso.... 

I made the mistake of test driving the QV first then didn't even bother with the Veloce ? 

Edited by blackhole

HOLA4412
21 hours ago, longgone said:

all these fancy cars are lifestyle choice cars, memories are personal to yourselves of course a used car dealer will not place much value on those ;) 

Kind of; it's not just memories but the pure joy of using it daily.  Plus there's a ton of fun options for not a great deal of money in terms of running costs or depreciation these days.  Seemed like a better place to hold cash than the bank!

HOLA4413
16 hours ago, MarkG said:

People still collect old guns that you can't buy ammo for. I'd guess a lot of the lower-end cars would lose most of their value, but there'd still be a market for the high-end ones.

Perhaps a bigger issue is that I can now drive just about any fancy car I want in VR and the tech is getting better all the time. I don't need to pay $250k for a Lancia Delta S4 when I can just put on the headset and drive one flat out through Welsh forests.

Having tried the full VR sims, they're definitely fun, if ultimately limited in experience.  Can be quite a workout too!

HOLA4414
14 hours ago, MarkG said:

You need to be pretty rich to do that in real life. Even if you don't crash and wreck one of a few hundred surviving cars, you'll soon wear out parts that are close to irreplaceable.

TBH I think its the lack of driver training which leads to these issues.  I actually had a session booked for March till the dreaded arrived.  Also some cars do have a tendency to snap near their limits.

Part of the fun is the risk mind.

HOLA4415
31 minutes ago, blackhole said:

Kind of; it's not just memories but the pure joy of using it daily.  Plus there's a ton of fun options for not a great deal of money in terms of running costs or depreciation these days.  Seemed like a better place to hold cash than the bank!

what cars do you have in mind 

HOLA4416
27 minutes ago, longgone said:

what cars do you have in mind 

For me it's about sweet handling, involving, yet predictable cars are my thing hence the Renault Megane RS mk3, Renault Clio cup series; a lot of low TCO/depreciation fun for £10k or less.  e46 BMWs also worth a look.

If you want to go closer to £5-6k the Megane RS mk2 (later cup, LSD variants) will get you there too, just a bit more "raw" to live with which might be a good thing for a daily toy.

If your comfortable spending a little more good Porsche Boxster/Cayman 987s are showing up now , but they will have a higher TCO ofcourse if not outrageous ala 911, so need more time / research / brave pills.

Edited by blackhole

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

I just glance at the sun’s angle against the horizon, and then instinctively adjust for the time of year, the latitude, and time zone. When I see people going through the hassle of lifting their wrist to read the time, I roll my eyes. 

Well, that’s when it’s sunny anyway, when it’s cloudy or nighttime I use my Apple Watch, obviously. 

There's always someone stuck with treating things at one extreme or the other, isn't there? Such simplicity of thinking would possibly be endearing if it wasn't so sadly common.

Edited by Riedquat