House Price Crash Forum

Air BnB person moaning about business risk

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442

Hm well I can't say I don't have empathy for them. I'd hate to have my house invaded - but it does seem a rather common ruse these days. One might almost start to wonder if there's a pattern?

AirBnB invasion: Hundreds of drug-fuelled partygoers take over a US divorcee's £2.5million Kensington flat after she rented it out to a woman for a 'baby shower'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6636403/AirBnB-invasion-Hundreds-drug-fuelled-partygoers-2-5million-Kensington-flat.html

Tax-avoiding Airbnb manages to reap the rewards while holding none of the risk. 

Airbnb contributes to poor housing markets, research says

There are no rules regulating Airbnb and companies like it, allowing the company to upend local markets, push prices skyward and contribute to poverty, writes Mariana Valverde 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/airbnb-housing-market-rental-prices-poverty-tourism-toronto-city-council-canada-a8738726.html

We don't talk about it on here but Airbnb has played a major part in pushing up rents in popular parts of the UK (London particularly). They're a scummy landlord, pure and simple. 

HOLA443
On 31/01/2019 at 10:45, PeanutButter said:

Hm well I can't say I don't have empathy for them. I'd hate to have my house invaded - but it does seem a rather common ruse these days. One might almost start to wonder if there's a pattern?

AirBnB invasion: Hundreds of drug-fuelled partygoers take over a US divorcee's £2.5million Kensington flat after she rented it out to a woman for a 'baby shower'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6636403/AirBnB-invasion-Hundreds-drug-fuelled-partygoers-2-5million-Kensington-flat.html

Tax-avoiding Airbnb manages to reap the rewards while holding none of the risk. 

Airbnb contributes to poor housing markets, research says

There are no rules regulating Airbnb and companies like it, allowing the company to upend local markets, push prices skyward and contribute to poverty, writes Mariana Valverde 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/airbnb-housing-market-rental-prices-poverty-tourism-toronto-city-council-canada-a8738726.html

We don't talk about it on here but Airbnb has played a major part in pushing up rents in popular parts of the UK (London particularly). They're a scummy landlord, pure and simple. 

I think she was quite fortunate

Even so, the guests had, bizarrely, taken some form of responsibility – another sign of how organised the deception had been. At least they had the decency to roll up my silk Persian rug and tuck it away on top of the kitchen cupboards,' sighs Libet.

Thankfully, they also removed her art collection from the walls and stored paintings out of the way. Libet's precious Baccarat crystals and a 1920s ceramic leopard were found locked in a cupboard

HOLA444

On 31/01/2019 at 10:45, PeanutButter said:

Airbnb has played a major part in pushing up rents in popular parts of the UK (London particularly). They're a scummy landlord, pure and simple. 

Not sure about that the cost of a BRB is much more than renting.  

I would have thought that the effect is on local B and Bs rather than the wider property market.  I guess there are some people who stay in place that they cannot afford with the rent from abrb bu that must be a tiny number.  Personally I do not know of a single person who has ever let out their rooms on abrb.  

Personally I would not let any stranger in my home unless she was extremely fit and she who must be obeyed was away!

It is obvious that letting any stranger stay in your home is a risk! 

HOLA445
4 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Not sure about that the cost of a BRB is much more than renting.  

It is. 

A landlord asks for £800pw and a tenant signs the lease, taking it off the market.

They then illegally sublet the flat on Airbnb for £600 a night. Strangers are coming and going, people are having parties, the neighbours complain but nothing happens. 

Then the tenant signs another lease, and another. She signs 12 leases. That's 12 properties that people living and working in the area cannot have because tourists are using them instead of hotels. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6538987/Italian-party-girl-cautioned-illegally-sub-letting-1-5million-Soho-townhouse.html

Spoiler: she gets a slap on the wrist

16 minutes ago, happyguy said:

I would have thought that the effect is on local B and Bs rather than the wider property market. 

It has a huge impact on the property market, hence why it is banned/limited in popular tourist cities such as New York, Barcelona, Berlin and Paris. The city council has doubled its team of holiday-let inspectors, as rising rents continue to fuel a row over tourism

23 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Personally I do not know of a single person who has ever let out their rooms on abrb.  

The reason you don't know anyone who rents out on Airbnb is because the vast majority of them are professional companies and not friendly locals. The world's most prolific Airbnb owner has 881 properties in London and earns £11.9m a year

They estimate 120,000 UK properties are illegally sublet. That's 120,000 properties that normal workers cannot rent. They're forced to look at other properties, driving up the price of rent because they're competing with mini-hoteliers. Meanwhile landlords aren't covered for insurance when this happens so both tenants and landlords are getting shafted by the criminals using the tax-avoiding Airbnb. 

Since this is a house price crash forum I'd suggest that siding with the tax avoiding mega corp that drives up rents isn't entirely logical. :D but who cares about logic haha

30 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Personally I would not let any stranger in my home unless she was extremely fit and she who must be obeyed was away!

Some scumlords do it this way As the housing crisis deepens, words such as ‘intimacy’ and ‘benefits’ are starting to appear in the to-let columns

• 1 month later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
On 30/03/2019 at 07:32, monkeyman1974 said:

I’d be totally pi55ed off if I lived in a flat, impacted by this.

I wonder if developers would put a clause in prohibiting such behaviour; albeit would doubt any court would frustrate the (long) lease for breach. 

Try living next to a holiday let. Seriously.

Mate lives between two - count em. Neither pay any tax - no rates, no council tax.

Peak season (Jul+Aug) theres about 2 cars for each house. Check in - party, check out - party. Extra people turning up mid let for a visit.

This sort of casual rental business needs taxing out of existense.

HOLA448

I think we are going to see a boom and bust in AirBNB.

The AirBNB rates seem to be that 1 week is roughly equivalent to a month of rent under a long term AST. Thats great if it gets booked solid, not so great if they only get one weekend booked every other month.

The current total lack of regulation means that landlords with domestic property can compete with Hotels, but it also means that the competition from other landlords doing the same thing will just keep growing until a saturation point is reached.

HOLA449
On 31/03/2019 at 11:15, spyguy said:

Try living next to a holiday let. Seriously.

Mate lives between two - count em. Neither pay any tax - no rates, no council tax.

Peak season (Jul+Aug) theres about 2 cars for each house. Check in - party, check out - party. Extra people turning up mid let for a visit.

This sort of casual rental business needs taxing out of existense.

I'm from a seaside town (too shit too attract new money). This would annoy me greatly. No wonder Norfolk is unfriendly. 

HOLA4410
On 31/03/2019 at 14:13, Habeas Domus said:

I think we are going to see a boom and bust in AirBNB.

The AirBNB rates seem to be that 1 week is roughly equivalent to a month of rent under a long term AST. Thats great if it gets booked solid, not so great if they only get one weekend booked every other month.

The current total lack of regulation means that landlords with domestic property can compete with Hotels, but it also means that the competition from other landlords doing the same thing will just keep growing until a saturation point is reached.

People adapt.

When AirBnb first started it was nice, nerdy peole, looking for a cheap room with other nerdy people.

Now, when you read the regular Daily Wail articles, those shy rich nerds from Merka on a short break to [London | Dam | Paris | Barca] have been replaced by  local'yoof' of hue  looking to partee with 50+ of their mates.

Why reck your own flat and risk the council serving an ASBO on you when you and 20 mates can chip in 20/head (400) for one night in someone naive idiots top end flat. nd you dont need to clean up ....

HOLA4411

Pretty sure you will get sued if you trash an airbnb let. You have to add your contact details to the site just to use it. If you trashed a place probably the company would release your details to the owner so they could take you to court. And you'd be banned for life from the site. I have been a member for about 5 months, it seems most users of Airbnb are respectable. 

HOLA4412
11 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

Pretty sure you will get sued if you trash an airbnb let. You have to add your contact details to the site just to use it. If you trashed a place probably the company would release your details to the owner so they could take you to court. And you'd be banned for life from the site. I have been a member for about 5 months, it seems most users of Airbnb are respectable. 

I think you are probably correct, although I would surprised if the following is not true

1) It is a tricky, complicated and expensive process for the owner

2) Some bad apples use fraudulent details and you can't find them.

Just my opinion, maybe every time the owner sues it is a piece of cake.