• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The poor b*ggers chose bad day to die.

The media is too busy weeping over Clinton to bother about them

It is quite a lot of fatalities for what appears an accident which involved no other vehicle

Must make you wonder about the design of both the tram and its track though I see that the driver has been arrested.

I am surprised there is no dead mans handle or automatic braking system on these trams since they are really like light railways

HOLA445
31 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Any one been on the tram?

How fast does it go?

The lines only 17 miles long ffs. Youd not think it would be able to build up much speed.

Phoned my mum up when I heard as that is her nearest tram stop, she said "WTF do you think I'd be doing on a tram at 6.30am, now leave me alone, I'm having me breakfast".

HOLA446
1 minute ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

The poor b*ggers chose bad day to die.

The media is too busy weeping over Clinton to bother about them

It is quite a lot of fatalities for what appears an accident which involved no other vehicle

Must make you wonder about the design of both the tram and its track

And the driver.

HOLA447

I seem to recall that the one time I've used a GPS speedo on my phone while riding the tram it hit over 40mph, though that was on the section that heads out through Beddington on the way to Wimbledon, west of Croydon, where there are faster stretches. It derailed at the junction where the Beckenham / Elmers End line meets the Addington line just east of Sandilands station. From the TV pictures I'd say it's an Addington tram that has hit the bend too fast and derailed, though it could conceivably be a points fault. Apparently they've arrested the driver so I lean towards the former! :( I've only been on the Addington branch once or twice and can't remember how fast it takes the bend, though I'm pretty sure it's meant to be <20mph, it's a tight bend.

Reason for edit: mixing my easts and wests up

Edit 2: Actually, thinking back on it, if you sit at the back of the tram you can look into the empty cab and see the speedo, and IIRC it was hitting 60kph+

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The trams are instrumented.  I find it hard to believe that it was a one-off, that he was depressed having just heard the Florida results and went mad...

If there is any evidence that trams routinely sped, at any section, let alone this section of track, by any member of staff let alone this one, then the directors of the tram company should be in the dock, not the driver.

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, Rave said:

Actually, it looks like the tram was from Addington and derailed on the tight curve, RAIB saying it was going too fast.

I've left New Addington quite quickly sometimes, usually on a motorbike.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
38 minutes ago, Oh Well :( said:

Complete incompetence by designers of system. Should be entirely automatic without a driver. Oh the Unions wouldn't allow that. So Leftwingers cause death yet again.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3736658,-0.1002076,3a,75y,289.46h,73.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCRR7VN7k-NcpbVYhfWNotg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reckon a fully automated system could drive a tram through there, do you?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
32 minutes ago, Rave said:

Looks like the driver's pulled the blind down anyway.  Probably having a nap.

And look at the display on the front -- 'Donald, republican' -- see, the signs were everywhere if you knew to look...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, ccc said:

Why not ? A driverless car already can. 

In 2016 a driverless car might be able to negotiate the otherwise pedestrianised centre of Croydon, but the Tramlink system was built 16 years ago. And, as I think will become apparent when driverless cars become commonplace, game theory suggests that when people learn that they can step out in front of an automated vehicle and have it perform an emergency stop, they will...

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 hours ago, Rave said:

I've only been on the Addington branch once or twice and can't remember how fast it takes the bend, though I'm pretty sure it's meant to be <20mph, it's a tight bend.

I has the joy of commuting on the Central Line before they put in the moving block signalling system/automatic speed limiter and there were a number of times that I felt sure it was going to derail taking the curve at Bank going westbound.

HOLA4425

Archived