Babylon 5 Curse Strikes Again...

Big Orange

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A great TV series, one of the best. Of course now many try and emulate the interlocking story lines and character development arcs across episodes and seasons, but when this show was made it wasn't something I had come across before. I remember a few things suddenly clicking and me realising the links between different episodes made a bigger storyline then just what was contained in that episode that I had been completely unaware of. Then later on I became aware that actually there were multiple story arcs spanning the seasons intertwined and I was even more in awe at the sheer complexity, ambition of the show.

I never met Jerry Doyle, but he was a talented actor, and his departure does leave a twinge of sadness in me for the joy he and the rest of the team in Babylon 5 brought to me.

HOLA447

Not another one!

I've met most of the cast (uk cons whilst the series was on), including Jerry, the majority are lovely people. Andreas and Peter were my favourites.

May have to rewatch the series.

Not the right time for this but "the majoiry are lovely people" implies some aren't...

HOLA448

So many of them do Comic Cons now that there are loads of videos up on YouTube of them.

Take a look at the interviews with the Deep Space Nine cast and you will see how they all seem to come across as really lovely, genuine people. Then look at some of the Voyager interviews with some cast members referring to tensions working with certain other cast members.

The TV industry is full of some incredibly lovely people and it is full of some right nasty pieces of work. Some of the worst ones though, from my personal experience, can put on very false faces.

We all die at the end of the day.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Tremendous Series. I have the boxed set. Brings back memories. Made Voyager look like sh1t! (Although I did like Deep Space 9)

Babylon was always watchable. The characters were so good.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Zooty zoot zoot

Hehe, penn & teller. I was already using Reebo as my 'tag' back then, so it was cool to see it used on screen :-)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Sad news.

I was always surprised Babylon 5 wasn't more popular. Better and more realistic compared to Star trek.

I am a huge Trekker but when Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine came out B5 was just so much better. People swore, got angry, had sex and cheated and lied on B5. DS9 was just dire for the first two series.

Thankfully, Roddenberry died and the team that took over began to put sex, lies, back-stabbing, assasination and other human actions into DS9. It improved enormously once they started the Dominon story arch, copying the single story arch that B5 had with the Shadows.

Both are probably my most favourite sci-fi shows now along with SG-1 and Buck Rogers - Colonel Wilma in that skin-tight white uniform. :D

HOLA4417

DS9 was just dire for the first two series.

Thankfully, Roddenberry died and the team that took over began to put sex, lies, back-stabbing, assasination and other human actions into DS9.

Didn't he die some time before Deep Space 9 started? I thought he wasn't even involved in the later series of the Next Generation.

[Oh no! I seem to have turned into a Trekkie...]

HOLA4418

Didn't he die some time before Deep Space 9 started? I thought he wasn't even involved in the later series of the Next Generation.

[Oh no! I seem to have turned into a Trekkie...]

It was in development whilst he was still alive. There are conflicting reports about his involvement.

If you look at the first 2 series they are typical Gene Roddenberry style Trek. Towards the end of series 2 it begins to take a darker turn and that is the end of the fluff Trek stuff.

HOLA4419

If you look at the first 2 series they are typical Gene Roddenberry style Trek. Towards the end of series 2 it begins to take a darker turn and that is the end of the fluff Trek stuff.

I haven't actually seen it since the first time round on the BBC (which is probably more than 15 years ago now!), so you may well be right.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I used to love Star Trek but I find it difficult to watch now - the whole "aren't we perfect/wonderful" thing just grates.

I've never watched Buck Rogers. I should get hold of it.

DS9 is unlike that, from the end of the second series, and it involves all sorts of intrigue, back-stabbings, assassinations and some of the leads being involved in murder. That's not the Roddenberry vision is it?

By the end of the series none of the main characters comes away from it without having been involved in some pretty unscrupulous things.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived