House Price Crash Forum

Smart Meters

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

You can of course monitor your energy usage in real time with something like this:

http://smarthomeenergy.co.uk/wattson-solar-plus-easifit-0

I have one to go with the solar panels so that I know when the sun"s string enough for me to put the washing on or when I can put the immersion heater on for free.

Whilst you have to buy this it's telling you and not your power supply company / hackers / burglars what your usage is.

I see some, if more limited, point in having this if you don't have panels. A friend had similar and found out that their microwave used a horrendous amount of power and so started using it less. Prior to that they'd assumed that because it was high tech it was the economical option.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I see some, if more limited, point in having this if you don't have panels. A friend had similar and found out that their microwave used a horrendous amount of power and so started using it less. Prior to that they'd assumed that because it was high tech it was the economical option.

An easier way to find out what a microwave uses is to look at the front of it. Says 850W on mine IIRC. That might not be completely accurate but is probably in the right area. Not sure what advantage having a measuring gizmo gives.

HOLA444
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

An easier way to find out what a microwave uses is to look at the front of it. Says 850W on mine IIRC. That might not be completely accurate but is probably in the right area. Not sure what advantage having a measuring gizmo gives.

Saves your having to do that?

It's also interesting to see how much it goes up when your fridge kicks in, how much the water pump on the gas central heating draws etc.

As I said more relevant if you have solar panels as you know what generation level means that you can use things for free. Currently about 200w on an overcast winter's day so fine for a computer and radio but won't make a dent in a kettle, immersion heater or washing machine.

HOLA445
6 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

We have a winner!

HOLA446
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's also interesting to see how much it goes up when your fridge kicks in, how much the water pump on the gas central heating draws etc.

As I said more relevant if you have solar panels as you know what generation level means that you can use things for free. Currently about 200w on an overcast winter's day so fine for a computer and radio but won't make a dent in a kettle, immersion heater or washing machine.

Curiosity, whats the nominal output of your solar installation?

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Rare Bear said:

Curiosity, whats the nominal output of your solar installation?

4kW / 16 panel, which is the cap on installation size for the (higher) domestic tariff. It exceeds that slightly in the middle of the day in summer but today peak was about 0.3kW.

A kettle is about 1kW, immersion about 1.8kW.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
On 17/12/2016 at 0:02 PM, Frank Hovis said:

Looking at the microwave sounds easier than finding the meter and looking at that. It might be of slight initial curiosity value when the fridge comes on, and if you're generating your own power then comparing usage with generation does indeed sound useful but I don't see why you need that metering; at most recorded at a frequent interval for your own information, not communicated on that basis to anyone else.

Anyway I'll be spared one for a while, even if they want to enforce one I understand they're mobile network based and there's no signal inside the house (and the current meter is inside).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
55 minutes ago, ntb said:

????? Kettles are usually 2.4Kw and an immersion heater 3Kw unless you have some special solar compatible ones?

I know we can be a bit anoraky at times but I flat refuse to get into a debate about the kWs consumed by a kettle or an immersion heater!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I have 3 utility meters - Gas, Electric and Water.

They all tell me how much of each I have used.

I am being encouraged to replace them with so-called "smart" meters that also tell me how much I have used - but can also draw a few graphs, and recommend which bedroom light-bulbs I should turn off to save forty-eight pence a year.

Pardon me if I say stick your "smart" meter right up your sweaty bum-crack..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

I switched to British Gas a couple of months ago and now I get daily messages on my answer machine insisting that my meter is due to be replaced and that I should phone them back to arrange a suitable day for the upgrade to a smart meter. It's not compulsory but they are coming across as if it is. I may phone them up and ask what the benefits are for me and ask for assurances that the meter will never be used to assist peak-time charging or 'flow control' during times of grid capacity problems.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 12/17/2016 at 11:56 AM, Riedquat said:

Cos watts is power and we iz talkin energy innit

Microwaves ovens control how hot stuff gets by cycling the power on and off (like most heating and cooling things). It might say 850W on the cabinet but all that tells you is the energy it will use per unit time when in the power on phase of its operation. It might only spend 1/10th to 1/2 its time in this mode. Moreover, its infrequently used, so may use less energy that an LED light bulb throughout the week.

Looking at energy consumption allows you to pick out exactly which items are contributing most to your bills.

Not that a smart meter will allow you to do that, cos it simply looks at the energy use of the entire house. A bit cr@p really.

HOLA4419
10 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Microwaves ovens control how hot stuff gets by cycling the power on and off (like most heating and cooling things). It might say 850W on the cabinet but all that tells you is the energy it will use per unit time when in the power on phase of its operation. It might only spend 1/10th to 1/2 its time in this mode. Moreover, its infrequently used, so may use less energy that an LED light bulb throughout the week.

Looking at energy consumption allows you to pick out exactly which items are contributing most to your bills.

Not that a smart meter will allow you to do that, cos it simply looks at the energy use of the entire house. A bit cr@p really.

Why not just have a lower power microwave that runs at max power when it's switched on?

Mine seems to make different noises, as if it's changing power, on defrost (which I've used about twice), no sign of it cycling at all on normal cook, not that there's any particular reason for it there to be a good link between the noise it makes and power going in to microwaves.

The real reason the whole thing is a bit crap is (as I've said before) because it's pointless. Stuff's turned on if I'm using it and off if it isn't. Seeing my energy usage change from time to time doesn't change that, at most it'll satisfy some curiosity that I'm not curious about. It's not a lot of direct help to the supplier either (as well as being too nosey of them), who will find an aggregated number more useful, which they can probably get from the substation, and probably have had since it was built. As a prelude to having more control over me and charging more at different times it may work, but to hell with that.

HOLA4420

I now have a meter that's "smart". The foolish thing is for the Gov to pay with my money, for a rollout, which would happen anyway, because the meter would have to be changed anyway, after a time. It's a scrappage scheme, and I disapprove

HOLA4421
16 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

So what?! You gonna have cold tea and ready meals cos the smart meter says the kettle and microwave use power :huh::lol:

It is what it is.

HOLA4422
On 1/28/2017 at 5:05 PM, chronyx said:

So what?! You gonna have cold tea and ready meals cos the smart meter says the kettle and microwave use power :huh::lol:

Although I did write the post to which you refer specifically for you, I didn't anticipate you would consider only microwaves and kettles.

Rather, I was alluding to appliance meters helping you make an informed decision as to whether you might consider swapping out your usual super-turbo-an-al-vibro-plug for something a little less power-consuming, like something from your extensive collection of flesh lights.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
44 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Although I did write the post to which you refer specifically for you, I didn't anticipate you would consider only microwaves and kettles.

Rather, I was alluding to appliance meters helping you make an informed decision as to whether you might consider swapping out your usual super-turbo-an-al-vibro-plug for something a little less power-consuming, like something from your extensive collection of flesh lights.

I earn too much money to worry about frivolities like that

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4425

For about a month I have been getting daily answer machine messages from British Gas. They started out informing me of the opportunity to get a smart meter - this has now changed to, "we need you to call us on this number, your meter is due an upgrade". I only had my gas meter replaced four years ago! No one gives such a hard sell for the consumers benefit. Unfortunately it is only a matter of time until we are all connected - the type of tactics they are using will snare 95% of the public. The remaining 5% will then be easy prey. We are all going to be paying through the nose for peak-time usage along with rolling energy 'pauses' when the windmills aren't turning!

Archived