House Price Crash Forum

Name The Day

HOLA441

When do you intend to buy, if at all.

When, if at all, will properties be 'valued correctly'?

And 'When prices have fell by 25%' is not a real answer as they wont all fall by the same amount and at the same time.

And for those that moan regarding properties being too expensive. Take a large city outside London, say Birmingham as number 2.

Check rightmove to see what properties are available for approximately 3 - 4 times the average salary.

Oooooooooooooh - 150 or so properties under £80k within 3 miles of the city center.

Is it that FTB moan that they can't afford a property OR is it that they REALLY moan that they can't get a property in the style they want in the area they want.

My first property was in a fairly sh*t area as that was all I could afford.

Just a thought.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Easy. When three-bed average family homes are five/six times the average annual salary; about £125k to £150k in 2005 money. At the moment in the South-East these sorts of houses are typically ten times average salaries.

As for the "my first home was in a fairly sh*t area", please remember that what counts as a sh*t area has changed. Lots of what were sh*t areas have been done up and prices have risen dramatically. The sh*t areas that remain are often not just sh*t, they're actually dangerous. These areas are unlikely to be "yuppified" as they are increasingly ghettos and enclaves of those on the fringes of society; the sorts of areas the govt are being told not to disperse asylum seekers into because they're too dangerous.

The world has changed. I expect to be buying when the BTLers of 2003/2006 - I'm sure there will be some optimists still buying next year, as well as some who'll be forced to honour off-plan contracts they've entered into - find that they have to crystallise their losses.

Just a thought, and I hope that helps.

HOLA444

i agree with terrified ... when i find a property that we like and that i can get for, what i believe, is a sensible price. I'm not a FTB, bought my first home back in 1991 in a typical FTB property (a 2 up, 2 down in northern mill town) and moved up the ladder in a typical fashion.

The problem is not just for ftb's... my partner and I have a combined income of £50k+, with a £60k deposit , so at 3x multiplier our price range is c£200-£250k, and the properties available in this price range in Newcastle are awful. The type of property i'd expect to be able to buy at this stage in life/earnings/on-the-property ladder are 'valued' at £300-£350k i.e. approx 30% above what we can afford...so i'm going to be a coward and summarise by saying I'll be buying when properties are about 25-30% cheaper :D

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

And 'When prices have fell by 25%' is not a real answer as they wont all fall by the same amount and at the same time.

And for those that moan regarding properties being too expensive. Take a large city outside London, say Birmingham as number 2.

Check rightmove to see what properties are available for approximately 3 - 4 times the average salary.

Oooooooooooooh - 150 or so properties under £80k within 3 miles of the city center.

Is it that FTB moan that they can't afford a property OR is it that they REALLY moan that they can't get a property in the style they want in the area they want.

Just a thought.

When buying is cheaper than renting!

Probably 2007, when HIPS are introduced!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Just a thought.

I live in Devon..

House price inflation is 300% here and nothing below £100,000

its an investment and all investments must follow a studied market.

the market is getting cheaper.

I have an amount to spend that I will wait for a property I like.. to cost..

I earn above the average and on normal multiples I can't afford a park home in Devon...

think I will wait.

Its christmas...

lol

HOLA4413

I think most bears would agree that its more sensible to work on a price scale rather than a time scale. This is much more logical as affordability and value are the issues.

The bulls on the other hand seem to believe that their life is on hold while they are renting and they cannot enjoy life or have a family etc. Not very logical in my opinion.

The next few years will see people becoming more patient as even small price falls will show them that there is no hurry any longer. Its time to relax and enjoy life without worrying about house prices any more.

Do this and it is the VI's who will be worried. It is their greatest fear at this point.

Real property bears are ready to wait until after the crash/correction before buying property. It is not important for many of them when this will happen, but just that it will happen. Why try to guess? Just wait.