House Price Crash Forum

3M+ ‘Remain’ Petition Uses ‘Script’ To ‘Fake’ Signatures: 25,000 From North Korea, 2,800 From Uninhabitable Antarctic

HOLA441
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Started by a Brexitier?

The Petitions Committee are investigating it so I suspect there is a lot of credence to this story.

In the past few weeks we have seen pro-remain comments on sites like the Daily Mail get several thousand positive votes within minutes and many people have argued that scripts have been used for those.

HOLA445

They should've nipped this cr@p in the bud. There's been a referendum. The majority was for exit. That's democracy. Get over it. ?

No one wants real democracy or to do any actual work on the hard business of government based around it. They just want to indulge in megaphone politics based on a few simplistic slogans before nipping off to Starbucks. This whole petition business is just an ersatz substitute for the real thing.

HOLA446

The whole thing is the classic bluff of a vocal minority pretending to be the majority. Except this time the real majority didn't fold their cards at the bluff.

Now amazingly they're still trying to pull off the bluff after everybody's cards are face up on the table. "If you squint a bit the 4 looks like an 8 so we've sort of got a flush".

Utterly bonkers.

HOLA447

Yes, that's been confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

As far as I can see, it was started before the referendum because the proposer was worried Remain would win and we would be "further shackled to the EU".

Interesting twist :)

P

Perhaps he should withdraw the petition request.

Then they could start another petition to ask for another referendum.

HOLA448

Perhaps he should withdraw the petition request.

Then they could start another petition to ask for another referendum.

Why not start a petition to request that the first petition be quashed?

Personally I'm deeply unhappy about the voting in the 1997 general election and am considering starting a petition to have it rerun.

HOLA449

There's likely no doubt that such things are manipulated. GCHQ has been exposed as doing it:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/14/gchq-tools-manipulate-online-information-leak

and I'm fairly sure I read the US government have bought off the shelf tools to do the same. Undoubtably, the anonymous collective has the capabilities as do the dodgier end of the internet marketing spectrum.

The linked code in the OP is fairly primitive stuff though. The smart way would simply be to load up the electoral register or some other name/address source, do an append to email addresses/other missing data and post while cycling through using dynamic IP addresses, browser user agent switching etc.

But petitions have always been signed by Count Dracula and other illuminaries.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

There will be more than 100,000 real signatures whatever anyone says.

It's funny how Brexiters are clinging on to a non binding narrow vote and some how supposing it forces Parliament to act in a certain way. Similarly this petition doesn't bind anyone in Parliament to do anything different- just to discuss an idea.

What are the Brexiters scared of? Having a binding referendum rather than a a big opinion poll?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There will be more than 100,000 real signatures whatever anyone says.

It's funny how Brexiters are clinging on to a non binding narrow vote and some how supposing it forces Parliament to act in a certain way. Similarly this petition doesn't bind anyone in Parliament to do anything different- just to discuss an idea.

What are the Brexiters scared of? Having a binding referendum rather than a a big opinion poll?

I think it will have to carry, i can't see any other way out of it for Parliment unless they are prepared to go against the wishes of half the people in the country?

HOLA4415

I think it will have to carry, i can't see any other way out of it for Parliment unless they are prepared to go against the wishes of half the people in the country?

Not singling you out workingpoor, but people have to realise that the referendum is NOT LEGALLY BINDING and NEVER was

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Not singling you out workingpoor, but people have to realise that the referendum is NOT LEGALLY BINDING and NEVER was

No problem Johnny.

Yes but where is the way out?

How would half the population take it?

Judging by the heated arguments i've seen on social media over the last few days, very badly i expect.

Also there is the "Great Britain upholder of democracy & justice" factor to think about,

how would it look if the Vote was ignored or annulled etc

Just thinking that there doesn't seem to be a way out of it?

MP's vote in Parliament next week?

Vote to block Brexit?

Then what?

^^^^All hypothectical scenarios for discussion purposes.

HOLA4419

That's the point, Parliament doesn't 't have to go with the wishes of the British People.

And indeed they frequently don't go with the wishes of the British People, otherwise we'd still have hanging.

The referendum was always non binding, so counts for about as much as a local planning consultation, which councils also frequently ignore.

If MPs refuse to implement the referendum result, then you can vote for someone else next time - that's called democracy.

HOLA4420

Rod Liddle needs to understand what parliamentary sovereignty is

The baying mob existed long before our parliament, will likely be present at its demise, and for whatever length of time humanity manages thereafter.

This is a fundamental truth 99.9% of politicians understand innately. This fellow's in the 0.1%. If I knew him I'd be advising him up get out of politics pronto. It's not for him.

HOLA4421

No problem Johnny.

Yes but where is the way out?

How would half the population take it?

Judging by the heated arguments i've seen on social media over the last few days, very badly i expect.

Also there is the "Great Britain upholder of democracy & justice" factor to think about,

Vote to block Brexit?

Then what?

^^^^All hypothectical scenarios for discussion purposes.

Some protests, perhaps some riots, lots of complaints and lobbying.

Then at some point either sooner or later another general election.

HOLA4422

That's the point, Parliament doesn't 't have to go with the wishes of the British People.

And indeed they frequently don't go with the wishes of the British People, otherwise we'd still have hanging.

The referendum was always non binding, so counts for about as much as a local planning consultation, which councils also frequently ignore.

If MPs refuse to implement the referendum result, then you can vote for someone else next time - that's called democracy.

Get over it, Remain lost quite badly.

This is very un-British behaviour by the Remainers.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

No problem Johnny.

Yes but how are they going to wriggle out of it?

How will half the population take it?

Vote to block Brexit?

Then what?

Brexit is not a policy or a party with a fully formed manifesto - it is an idea. That is half the problem

It's like a binary vote on the Question

"Do you believe in the war on terror?"

YES/NO --

Whatever the answer what is the policy? And can you get a majority in parliament to bomb wherever you want to bomb but I digress

Parliament can wriggle out in several ways

i) the tories may elect a non-brexitier as PM and they simply say that having considered the referendum it is felt that it is not a wise policy to pursue blah, blah blah (the tories get the blame of 52% of the population but are lauded as doing the right thing for the country and a brave decision by 48%) and they take their chances at the next election with FPTP

ii) a brexitier is made PM (but cannot get a majority to invoke clause 50) - all parties get the blame

iii) the SNP envoke the Scottish Parliament Act veto (SNP get the blame) which will drag this out even longer as the relevant section in the Scottish Parliament Act will have to be repealed/amended

iv) a vote of no confidence in the ruling party - election - Corbyn elected - he does indeed brexit - Corbyn and labour get the blame (for the ensuing chaos of implementing an ill thought out 'idea'

v) The Queen could withhold assent (if she saw the breakup of the Union) - this is the nuclear option and an absolute clusterfeck of a constitutional passage into waters unknown

There'll be some windows broken and at least one general election perhaps - and bear in mind that exit will take at least two years to come to fruition

I'm sure there are other scenarios - but it is a constitutional crisis and an absolutely unholy mess that 99% of the public have absolutely no understanding of (my knowledge stems from 2nd year law - I'm by no means an authority)

I'll be transparent and honest - personally I briefly leant towards exit, but for business reasons I voted remain - in my personal circumstances exit or the uncertainty this vote causes could very well bankrupt me

Archived