House Price Crash Forum

Last Minute Shopping Anecdotals

ajh

HOLA441

I'm many hours ahead of the UK, so I'll lead off.

Firstly, almost all the big shopping centres here have taken advantage of the calendar and are opening until midnight tonight (23rd) with normal Saturday hours tomorrow.

That said, I found the nearest centre this evening was about as busy as a normal Friday but no busier. Queues of 3 or 4 at the cashiers. People weren't buying noticeably large amounts. I was able to do my shopping quite easily.

I think Xmas sales are going to be good but not spectacular in Australia this year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'll report back later from today's trip. Yesterday - distinct lack of shopping fever in the air in East Ham. Well chuffed to pick up 12 crackers for £5 from Marks and Sparks (cheaper than Lidl's 6 for £4) - also in the 3 for 2 offer (so I got a couple of Dr Who keyrings too).

I can't believe how many sales there are - practically every shop has or claims to have heavy discounting. No more than 2/3 people queuing at any till. Isn't this usually the time of year to be queuing halfway down the store?

Gonna be interesting to visit Asda on Christmas Eve (to pick up the last minute bargains, of course) .

HOLA443

The only busy places I've seen today are supermarkets (but then they're closed for Two Whole Days so all the idiots have to stock up with a months supply of food :rolleyes: ). Rest of the shops pretty quiet apart from Woolies which was saturday busy.

HOLA444

I'll report back later from today's trip. Yesterday - distinct lack of shopping fever in the air in East Ham. Well chuffed to pick up 12 crackers for £5 from Marks and Sparks (cheaper than Lidl's 6 for £4) - also in the 3 for 2 offer (so I got a couple of Dr Who keyrings too).

I can't believe how many sales there are - practically every shop has or claims to have heavy discounting. No more than 2/3 people queuing at any till. Isn't this usually the time of year to be queuing halfway down the store?

Gonna be interesting to visit Asda on Christmas Eve (to pick up the last minute bargains, of course) .

Hubby and I went shopping in Bromley town centre last night. It was pretty quiet, there were shoppers around but didn't seem more than a normal Thursday night. I agree with greencat, there seems to be lots of sales on, some were offering up to 70% off (although that was mk one so read what you can into that) and shoppers displayed a distinct lack of franticness that normally characterises the last few shopping days until Xmas.

Tesco's in Sidcup was pretty busy on Wednesday night, but none of the lets-fill-2-trolleys madness we've seen in previous years. We'll be in a supermarket on Xmas Eve to get a few last minute things too, lets see how it is then!

UM

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

mr 'Ps' corner shop in salfords doing well.

4 phone cards, 3 richmonds and a whole case of white lighting.

Mmmm, Richmonds, classy...I like.

...usual christmas Bulls*** in Arndale today, complete with an eclectic mix of mannerless tossers, wannabe hoods, and Ladies fashioning the 'dagenham facelift' hair boble a la' vicky pollard.

HOLA448

i like the arndale - though trying to buy a pasty at the instore greggs is a real fight. theres no queue order. and then when you get one you dont feel like eating while walking around the centre with flakes of pastry on your cheeks. i always dump it in the bin halfway through on my way to say, millets. or i might be on my way to the rastafarian section in the market hall where theres a cobbler who brings a pair of decent shoes back to life for about a £10 !!!

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA449
HOLA4410

i like the arndale - though trying to buy a pasty at the instore greggs is a real fight. theres no queue order. and then when you get one you dont feel like eating while walking around the centre with flakes of pastry on your cheeks. i always dump it in the bin halfway through on my way to say, millets. or i might be on my way to the rastafarian section in the market hall where theres a cobbler who brings a pair of decent shoes back to life for about a £10 !!!

Have you noticed they don't display cakes in the window anymore - having changed the layout of gregs shops so you have to go in to look what they've got once you're in you're hooked...

The Manchester Arndale? When they finishing it and bringing back poundland eh?

HOLA4411

Ah greggs. They must put minute dose's of smack in those pasties, forcing your way through the baying crowds of burton people...must get meat (non-specific meat) and potatoe pasty...so much cheap food...I must.....

I prefer to do a partridge, and treat myself to a 'Ginsters' on the slate.

Have you noticed they don't display cakes in the window anymore - having changed the layout of gregs shops so you have to go in to look what they've got once you're in you're hooked...

The Manchester Arndale? When they finishing it and bringing back poundland eh?

Have you noticed, with one of the pound shops, the fronting said: (which always made me laugh, as I dont have a sense of humour)

'Poundland...everything is pound'

Thats what you call frugal, saving cash on the typeface

HOLA4412

Oh is that what they're doing? Everytime I walked past I've clocked the near empty display and assumed they had nothing worth buying (and carried on walking)

HOLA4413

It's absolutely heaving down here where I live (Plymouth), although I couldn't say how much people are actually spending. M&S food hall was a nightmare - unfortunately I have to go back tomorrow as they had sold out of some of the things I wanted. Don't leave food shopping to the last minute, you may be disappointed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Everywhere I've been today has been absolutely manic, including Morrisons and Tescos - both of which I managed to sight several people who had their trolleys loaded to at least 12 inches abve the rim - heaven knows where they're going to keep it all cold (unless they're using their X5 with the windows slightly open!) :lol:

On the plus side though I managed to pick up the Rockport boots I'd been after for a while in a sale - 70 quid reduced from 135 so I'm quite chuffed. Plus food shopping cost 7 quid plus the vouchers we'd been saving all year - bargain.

Edited by FreeFall

HOLA4416

I have noticed in Romford (where I unfortunately live) that all the food shops are absolutely heaving.

However most other shops are fairly dead!

Difference I have noticed is that if you are buying anything apart from Food then you only have a short

queue (if any at all).

My other observation is the total and absolute crap which is for sale!

Went round Debenhams with a friend yesterday, we could not see one thing which was worth buying!

And believe me I can shop for England (like most women!).

The worst shop was BHS. There were hundreds of grotesque stuffed animals which looked like nothing

I have ever seen before piled up everywhere! Who buys all this crap? Well I suppose the answer is

no-one does anymore.

I would personally rather pay a bit more for a classy 'Fraser' Teddy Bear for instance than some

weird looking creature for a fiver from BHS but perhaps thats just me.

I have to say that this year I have cut my Christmas spending by about half.

I look at all my friends who own their own home (and have done for years) and knock their present

money down by half !!! Is that mean ?

One friend lives in an enormous house in Guidea Park (the only posh part in Romford) and i normally

get her something really nice, but I have noticed over the years she buys everyone the smallest box of chocs she can find. I mentioned this to another friend and she said "Well thats' why she has a massive

house in Guidea Park and we don't !!! And you know they are right. I am learning to be a bit more 'selfish' with my money. I still try to buy 'thoughtful' presents but limit the amount I spend.

So hopefully next year I might be living in a big house in Guidea Park !

Yeah, in my dreams !!! :lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Very Very Very Busy in Pembrokeshire - Haverfordwest (staying with my Auntie in Crundale at the mo) Don't know what it's like up in Ceredigion where I currently llive.

Think I might get some shares in Peacocks (bargain clothes) - putting out summer range of clothes as all stock had sold out in a mad buying frenzy. Also reckon Primark are booming ahead.

HOLA4421

Well, Cannock (Staffordshire) was dead. The worst i have ever seen it. Lots of the stores were selling christmas wrapping paper half price etc..

Went to Sainsburys.. dead - The checkout was empty (See pic)

23122005.jpg

Went to B&Q to see if they had some decent rechargable batteries - dead (see pic).

23122005_002_.jpg

Even my mother (bless her), said.... it is Christmas isnt it ??

:blink:

post-1911-1135363784_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1135363822_thumb.jpg

HOLA4422

Well, Cannock (Staffordshire) was dead. The worst i have ever seen it. Lots of the stores were selling christmas wrapping paper half price etc..

Went to Sainsburys.. dead - The checkout was empty (See pic)

23122005.jpg

Went to B&Q to see if they had some decent rechargable batteries - dead (see pic).

23122005_002_.jpg

Even my mother (bless her), said.... it is Christmas isnt it ??

:blink:

Excellent idea to back up your observations with photo's. Was the new asda quiet too?

hubby gets his tattoo's done in Cannock, that fella's still busy, lol.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425