House Price Crash Forum

Just Been Smacked Up The Bum In My Car.

HOLA441

So I was sitting in my car at the lights,facing down on a hill,and got rear ended. Naturally I was in shock. Got out of the car,no obvious damage,but it was a huge thud,neck is a bit sore. Guy who hit me tried to under play the incident,just a tap he he suggested. I took his name and address and phone number,he pointed to his Facebook page on my phone. Looks like him. However,in the moment I didn't take his reg number. Dumb I know but I was in shock and wasn't thinking straight. I've sent a text but no reply. Car has a clonk from back now and the numbers on milage read out have now got broken digits on the LCD display. What next please ? Thanks in advance.

HOLA442

So I was sitting in my car at the lights,facing down on a hill,and got rear ended. Naturally I was in shock. Got out of the car,no obvious damage,but it was a huge thud,neck is a bit sore. Guy who hit me tried to under play the incident,just a tap he he suggested. I took his name and address and phone number,he pointed to his Facebook page on my phone. Looks like him. However,in the moment I didn't take his reg number. Dumb I know but I was in shock and wasn't thinking straight. I've sent a text but no reply. Car has a clonk from back now and the numbers on milage read out have now got broken digits on the LCD display. What next please ? Thanks in advance.

Police...Failure to exchange details.

Then you must:

• stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period
  • give your vehicle registration number, your name and address, and that of the vehicle owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details

If you don't exchange those details at the scene, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours.

HOLA443

Yes, you must exchange details. The registration number is important. At least you have a name and address.

HOLA444

Go for a drive by and get the reg if he's local. Use another car as obviously yours has more damage than suggested. Plastic bumpers can hide a lot of damage as they flex when hit and the damage can easily occur behind them and they just bounce back to shape. Clonk could be suspension damage and there is potential for electrical damage if the dash is going wonky (short to the chassis somewhere maybe?). It needs to be properly assessed and checked over by an insurance assessor.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I know that whiplash is notorious territory for fraudsters but do report that sore neck when you make the claim.

A friend was heavily shunted and I had to push her to report it. It got worse in the days after the accident leaving her with limited ability to turn her head. She had an initial consultation and then a course of treatment, all sorted.

She didn't receive any cash compensation for it (and wasn't looking for any) but it got fixed, so do not be shy in getting it recorded and treated under the insurance.

HOLA447

I got rear ended at like 3 mph and got crazy spasms in my neck. Like you I was in shock (sounds silly I know) and the other guy down played it. In hind sight should of course have taken details. My neck only spasmed afterwards. That incident was one reason for getting a bigger car and dash cam.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest eight

Having been out for a drive today, the general standard of driving seemed to be a choice of either excessively cautious, or excessively aggressive, which does not make for a good combination.

Our Kia got overtaken by an MGB going up a hill.

HOLA4410
Guest TheBlueCat

I wonder how long it will be before dash-cams are built into all new cars? The components are cheap and the technology is fairly well embedded with parking cameras etc already, seems like it would be an easy thing to do.

HOLA4411

Having been out for a drive today, the general standard of driving seemed to be a choice of either excessively cautious, or excessively aggressive, which does not make for a good combination.

Our Kia got overtaken by an MGB going up a hill.

DId you go out for a drive today in 1976?

HOLA4412

So I was sitting in my car at the lights,facing down on a hill,and got rear ended. Naturally I was in shock. Got out of the car,no obvious damage,but it was a huge thud,neck is a bit sore.

Take care with the neck, appropriate pain killers and see yr doctor tomorrow if you can. I got hit from behind some years ago (low speed) and my neck was fine for a couple of days then rapidly got worse and needed proper painkillers from the drs as I could barely move - if it does develop into whiplash get physio asap i didn't and regret it to this day.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Some people have been known to vist A&E some hours after a car accident with delayed onset whiplash.

It might not hurt for a couple of days.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Oddly enough,I've just had an xray for lower back pain, had to take a blood test also. That was to rule out auto immune. I see a chiropractor twice monthly for shoulder and neck pain. So this has aggravated the existing condition. Thanks again.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I was reversing out of my underground parking space yesterday (it's impossible to see what's coming until you're half way out so I was going very slowly to give plenty of warning) and whoosh, a car shot past behind me. Typical French driver had seen me reversing out and put his foot down to get through before I closed the gap completely.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I got shunted in august last year and put a claim in against the third party insurer (Direct Line) for whiplash. I found the physiotherapy offered more beneficial that the £1,400. I'm 95% recovered now and think the niggling 5% will be long lasting.

HOLA4422

I called my insurance and they confirmed it wouldn't affect my ncb etc. She mentioned the wip lash and said a company they use would call me,I'd have to pay,as I didn't take legal cover. It's my first accident in 30 years,so all new to me. Any recommendations for the claim please ?

HOLA4423

Don't know as my friend had the legal cover so that issue didn't come up.

I would still watch the renewal, my last accident was no fault on my part so didn't affect my NCB. However because I had had an accident they rated me as more risky and upped the pre NCB cost so it still went up over £100. I moved to LV as noted previously.

HOLA4424

Don't know as my friend had the legal cover so that issue didn't come up.

I would still watch the renewal, my last accident was no fault on my part so didn't affect my NCB. However because I had had an accident they rated me as more risky and upped the pre NCB cost so it still went up over £100. I moved to LV as noted previously.

Standard procedure.

It cost my daughter a packet when a particularly unpleasant man drove into her car on a garage forecourt, denied responsibility and laughed in her face. She had protected NCB but they upped the premium to reflect the increased risk. Fortunately, the garage had it on CCTV and after a two year battle she was refunded the excess premiums.

HOLA4425

Archived