House Price Crash Forum

I Call Lowest Barrell Scrape

spyguy

HOLA441
HOLA442

Probably doesn't beat Sex Lives of the Potato Men which the UK film council funded indulged to the tune of millions. Seems to be largely airbrushed from history now though from a quick google which did throw up some alarmingly favourable reviews on Amazon but, frankly, I've never trusted Amazon reviews.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I'd heard that there was a film called Eddie the Egale.

I assumed Id misheard, or that is was about a bird.

Nope.

The UK taxpayer funded cinema abort train rolls on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_the_Eagle_%28film%29

Except it's already a minor hit. $14 million in box office and it hasn't even been released in the UK yet.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=eddietheeagle.htm

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'd heard that there was a film called Eddie the Egale.

I assumed Id misheard, or that is was about a bird.

Nope.

The UK taxpayer funded cinema abort train rolls on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_the_Eagle_%28film%29

So as the OP has presumably not seen the film, what is the problem with it? The subject matter? The interpretation of the tale? The commercial viability of the film?

HOLA4411

So as the OP has presumably not seen the film, what is the problem with it? The subject matter? The interpretation of the tale? The commercial viability of the film?

Indeed. Someone once made a film about an unsuccesful Jamaican bobsled team. Must have been an awful waste of money.

HOLA4412

Indeed. Someone once made a film about an unsuccesful Jamaican bobsled team. Must have been an awful waste of money.

That film was sad at the end when only the little droid's left watering all the plants in space.

HOLA4413

Not seen the film.

I have seen a few films produced by this UK film tax break. Partially - never managed to last the full film.

The UK tax breaks are basically causing films to be created as a means of getting the tax break rather a means of creating a film. And it shows. They are embarrassing. They have all the same collection of UK 'character' actors gurning their way through the 'How Amercians think Brits are'.

HOLA4414

Not with UK tax break.

I would not make any connection with Coll running, which my kids enjoyed, and anything knocked on UK film tax breaks.

HOLA4415

Ah, so a new film critique method where the critic does not have to actually see the film. I'll pass on paying attention to that opinion.

As for Eddie, I note that so many of his detractors would never have the balls to do a ski jump themselves.

He may have been Britains worst competitive ski-jumper. He was also the best.

HOLA4416

Ah, so a new film critique method where the critic does not have to actually see the film. I'll pass on paying attention to that opinion.

As for Eddie, I note that so many of his detractors would never have the balls to do a ski jump themselves.

He may have been Britains worst competitive ski-jumper. He was also the best.

And don't forget his stellar pop career too.

HOLA4417

I have seen a few films produced by this UK film tax break. Partially - never managed to last the full film.

The UK tax breaks are basically causing films to be created as a means of getting the tax break rather a means of creating a film. And it shows. They are embarrassing. They have all the same collection of UK 'character' actors gurning their way through the 'How Amercians think Brits are'.

If you’re a regular film-viewer you’ve probably seen many films that have benefitted from the 25% tax-break, not just “… embarrassing … UK 'character' actors gurning their way through the 'How Amercians think Brits are”.

The tax-break does not fund any single company making a particular sort of film but is applicable to any film (and TV, Video games etc) work done in the UK and/or by UK nationals.

So, a Hollywood block-buster that does pre-production, principal filming, post-production, whatever with UK staff and facilities would be as eligible as a completely home-grown effort designed for a smaller market.

The object of the tax break is to support designers, directors, crews, studios et al by making the UK a place where it is attractive to make films.

As for “… causing films to be created as a means of getting the tax break rather a means of creating a film … “, how would that ever make financial sense?

HOLA4418

As for “… causing films to be created as a means of getting the tax break rather a means of creating a film … “, how would that ever make financial sense?

It makes financial sense because enough people put the money up as a low-risk punt on a film becoming a hit. The market is driven by money looking for a film venture.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I must confess, whenever I come accross a british DVD in the library, they ineveitably fill me with profound dispair. The output seems to be one brilliant/original/hilarious masterwork per decade, and the rest utter dross.

HOLA4421

It makes financial sense because enough people put the money up as a low-risk punt on a film becoming a hit. The market is driven by money looking for a film venture.

How does "help to buy" ever make financial sense? People love tax breaks, like they love "sales" or any illusion of a something for nothing.

Fair enough, it was a poorly made point!

However, what evidence do you have of investment money chasing films that do not have box-office-smash written all over them?

For every Bond/Impossible Mission/Marvel production there are a hundred films that cannot get the necessary development money, which would surely not be the case if the whole market was driven by money looking for a home?

Lack of investment and foresight are constantly cited as government shortcomings in protecting let alone developing UK industry. The tax breaks available to the film industry support and encourage capital investment and skills development so surely they're to be welcomed?

HOLA4422

I must confess, whenever I come accross a british DVD in the library, they ineveitably fill me with profound dispair. The output seems to be one brilliant/original/hilarious masterwork per decade, and the rest utter dross.

The 90s hit a bit of a purple patch. Brassed Off, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, The Full Monty, 4 Weddings, all very passable films.

I tried watching 'A field in England' last week. Couldn't make head nor tail of it. Looked at the reviews and all I can say is the critics must be scared of panning it in case they get accused of not understanding it.

HOLA4423

The 90s hit a bit of a purple patch. Brassed Off, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, The Full Monty, 4 Weddings, all very passable films.

Actually, I did just google, and was suurprised that the hit rate seems to be much higher than I realised. There is definitely a "type" of british film that fills me with despair though. They usually have tag lines like "The best british film since 4 weddings"

Randomly googled list indicating many more than one good british film produced per decade. Hooray for tax breaks!

HOLA4424

I tried watching 'A field in England' last week. Couldn't make head nor tail of it. Looked at the reviews and all I can say is the critics must be scared of panning it in case they get accused of not understanding it.

Or upsetting the gravy train that keeps a lot of UK actoooooors employed.

HOLA4425

Archived