House Price Crash Forum

This Not Working Thing; It's Ace, I Tell You

justthisbloke

HOLA441

Well, I'm a few weeks into life as scum-of-the-earth work-dodger. And, I'm afraid, I have to report that I've taken to it like a tramp to cheap cider.

I've been getting up when I feel like it. Which, funnily enough, is at exactly the same time as when I had to be in the office. But why would I want to lie in bed and squander a minute of the day that's now all my own? I've not done it yet but, if I need some shuteye, I'll revert back to my school and student habit of siestas. Summer's coming so maybe I'll get a hammock.

I've done a lot in the garden and my veg patch is almost ready to receive this year's crops. Found lots of new muscles to ache. I've done a fair bit of cycling - but the weather's been a bit offputting really. But who cares - there's always tomorrow, or the day after. And I'm learning to cook for the first time in my life. To my astonishment, it seems to work - and no one's died yet.

But there's so much more to do. But so much time in which to do it.

I'll let you know if boredom sets in and I'm hammering at the door of the job centre in six month's time. Or if Brexit causes a stock market apocalypse and drives me back into the office.

HOLA442

Good on you, sounds great.

I will be awaiting updates for the November - February period; that range of months has twice pushed me back to work because I struggled to fill my time when I was mostly stuck indoors all day.

When it's cold, wet and dark working in an office does have an appeal.

HOLA443

Well, I'm a few weeks into life as scum-of-the-earth work-dodger. And, I'm afraid, I have to report that I've taken to it like a tramp to cheap cider.

I've been getting up when I feel like it. Which, funnily enough, is at exactly the same time as when I had to be in the office. But why would I want to lie in bed and squander a minute of the day that's now all my own? I've not done it yet but, if I need some shuteye, I'll revert back to my school and student habit of siestas. Summer's coming so maybe I'll get a hammock.

I've done a lot in the garden and my veg patch is almost ready to receive this year's crops. Found lots of new muscles to ache. I've done a fair bit of cycling - but the weather's been a bit offputting really. But who cares - there's always tomorrow, or the day after. And I'm learning to cook for the first time in my life. To my astonishment, it seems to work - and no one's died yet.

But there's so much more to do. But so much time in which to do it.

I'll let you know if boredom sets in and I'm hammering at the door of the job centre in six month's time. Or if Brexit causes a stock market apocalypse and drives me back into the office.

Many congratulations JTB. I'm about one year behind you.

Would be interested to know if you're thinking of any major life changes now that the work pressures are abating?

HOLA444

Wouldn't mind the life of Riley myself when or if my net worth increases to a high enough level that can sustain me.

Although my current job is pretty good, I've always been a 'square peg' in a round hole of working 9 to 5.

Edit: square peg - NOT pet! ^_^

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Many congratulations JTB. I'm about one year behind you.

Would be interested to know if you're thinking of any major life changes now that the work pressures are abating?

No plans for anything right now. That's something I'm being firm about. I've spent 25 years drawing up and implementing various plans, projects, deliverables, and programmes. For six months at least, I'm planning nothing. I'm taking each day as it comes.

I've got a holiday booked (well, the flight's booked - I'll sort the rest when I get in-country). I don't travel much (done enough of that with a suit on for biz) so this is quite a "life change" even if it's just a fortnight.

In the short term, I've got some cycle-touring ideas that may come to fruition. And there are all the previously omitted hygeine factors of life: cooking, walking every day, fishing, gardening, etc.

In the longer term, Mrs JTB may decide to follow my lead (she works about 50% of the time). That's when we'll think about buying a boat and sailing the world.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

No plans for anything right now. That's something I'm being firm about. I've spent 25 years drawing up and implementing various plans, projects, deliverables, and programmes. For six months at least, I'm planning nothing. I'm taking each day as it comes.

I've got a holiday booked (well, the flight's booked - I'll sort the rest when I get in-country). I don't travel much (done enough of that with a suit on for biz) so this is quite a "life change" even if it's just a fortnight.

In the short term, I've got some cycle-touring ideas that may come to fruition. And there are all the previously omitted hygeine factors of life: cooking, walking every day, fishing, gardening, etc.

In the longer term, Mrs JTB may decide to follow my lead (she works about 50% of the time). That's when we'll think about buying a boat and sailing the world.

Great response. I'm planning something similar for at least the first 6 months also. I'm calling it decompression. The only difference is I'll be leaving the South East for sunnier climes but will be buying nothing until I learn who I am again.

HOLA4414

2 years and 1 month here (after redundancy)

you won't get cabin fever if you go out every other day and keep a tv or radio on lol

Seriously though it's been great i'm getting through the winter swimming at the local pool 2hr lane swims 3 times a week.

I agree with the decopression thing and finding out who you are again etc

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It's another thread that made me think of an HPC Co-Housing project. With housing costs shared and other living costs cheaper, probably somewhere abroad, more people could afford to reduce hours worked or pack it in completely.

I don't qualify as retired, even though I haven't worked for anyone for 13 years. I make a little money from home, it's something to try ward off the cabin fever.

HOLA4417

It's another thread that made me think of an HPC Co-Housing project. With housing costs shared and other living costs cheaper, probably somewhere abroad, more people could afford to reduce hours worked or pack it in completely.

I don't qualify as retired, even though I haven't worked for anyone for 13 years. I make a little money from home, it's something to try ward off the cabin fever.

I'm in for HPC C0-Housing project how about the Algarve?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Excellent observation. I think it does take a bit of time to shake off some of those conformities you need to adopt to remain sane at work. It was the least of the things I was expecting because obviously we all think of ourselves as independently minded, mavericks even.

The best thing is simply getting your brain back. To not have to think about how to make someone else better off, renting one's mind out for decades.

I'm looking forward to it. I do know that the current me is not the real me but I'm I'm not sure what that real me actually looks like yet. To be successful in the work environment I have definitely had to adapt and change to be successful.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Wouldn't mind the life of Riley myself when or if my net worth increases to a high enough level that can sustain me.

Although my current job is pretty good, I've always been a 'square peg' in a round hole of working 9 to 5.

Edit: square peg - NOT pet! ^_^

If you're following WICAO's recipe, you won't go too far wrong. My story is not dissimilar. Although, of course, future chapters and the ending are unknown.

Beware of the "pretty good" job. I had a pretty very good job. It's Hotel California - so comfortable, it's easy to never leave. For me, from Day 1 it was a bit of a trap - a star job, my peers would have killed for. It was all you look for in a job: challenging, loads of responsibility, varied. And well paid. But ultimately, I was burning my youthful energies for an employer. And worse, the longer I stayed the more comfortable I became. "Institutionalised" would be too far - but I was certainly heading that way.

That said, a pretty good job means an income every month and a lump of cash for the escape fund every month. And a pretty good job is far better than a bloody awful job.

Archived